The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Exchange of young Dmen

To VAN: Lauzon + Borgen

To SEA: Juolevi + Woo + conditional 2022 3rd round pick

Why for Seattle?

Once they sign RFA Cholowski, Seattle will have 15 forwards, 9 Dmen and 2 goalies on their roster. None of them are waiver exempt. Gourde will go onto LTIR and then they will need to waive another 2 players. Both players they waive will be at risk of being lost for nothing. With the above deal Seattle trades away two Dmen that are outside their top 6 in exchange for: one player that is waiver exempt (Woo) and one player that is more likely to clear waivers (Juolevi). Seattle only receives the 3rd round pick if Juolevi is claimed off waivers (alternatively the deal could be structured as: VAN waives Juolevi and Seattle either gets Juolevi after clearing waivers or the 3rd round pick if he doesn't clear).

Why for Vancouver?

VAN gets two players to add to their NHL roster now. Both are young (so could have a long term future in VAN) and both can play RD, which is a weak side for VAN (especially with the Hamonic situation right now). Lauzon is a lefty that can play LD or RD equally well and can play top 4 minutes if required - could cover for Hamonic on US road games if that becomes a thing. Borgen is more of a depth guy right now, but at 24 he is a big bodied RHD who could develop into a top 4 Dman. He is good enough to replace Schenn/Bowey on our roster right now as our #8D and appears to have a similar ceiling to Woo, so losing Woo in this deal is more palatable.

Thoughts?

On 10/10/2021 at 2:07 AM, BigTramFan said:

To VAN: Lauzon + Borgen

To SEA: Juolevi + Woo + conditional 2022 3rd round pick

Why for Seattle?

Once they sign RFA Cholowski, Seattle will have 15 forwards, 9 Dmen and 2 goalies on their roster. None of them are waiver exempt. Gourde will go onto LTIR and then they will need to waive another 2 players. Both players they waive will be at risk of being lost for nothing. With the above deal Seattle trades away two Dmen that are outside their top 6 in exchange for: one player that is waiver exempt (Woo) and one player that is more likely to clear waivers (Juolevi). Seattle only receives the 3rd round pick if Juolevi is claimed off waivers (alternatively the deal could be structured as: VAN waives Juolevi and Seattle either gets Juolevi after clearing waivers or the 3rd round pick if he doesn't clear).

Why for Vancouver?

VAN gets two players to add to their NHL roster now. Both are young (so could have a long term future in VAN) and both can play RD, which is a weak side for VAN (especially with the Hamonic situation right now). Lauzon is a lefty that can play LD or RD equally well and can play top 4 minutes if required - could cover for Hamonic on US road games if that becomes a thing. Borgen is more of a depth guy right now, but at 24 he is a big bodied RHD who could develop into a top 4 Dman. He is good enough to replace Schenn/Bowey on our roster right now as our #8D and appears to have a similar ceiling to Woo, so losing Woo in this deal is more palatable.

Thoughts?

I would have done this before Juolevi was traded to Florida. Good idea. Seattle will be forced to trade one or two players once the five players on Covid protocol are back and once Gourde is healthy. Otherwise they’ll risk losing a young stud like Cholowski or Geekie on waivers :wacko:.

I would do this if I were them once healthy.. (This below would be a 24 player roster and leave Jeremy Lauzon and Mason Appleton as the two needing to be traded IMO. To reach 23 players I’d try to waive one of Borgen, Sheahan, Bastian, or Donato down to Charlotte until potential playoff time. As for Lauzon and Appleton those are two players the Canucks should be all over. 

J.Schwartz -A.Wennberg- J.Eberle

A.Barre-Boulet -Y.Gourde- J.Donskoi
J.McCann -M.Johansson- C.Jarnkrok

R.Donato -M.Geekie- B.Tanev

R.Sheahan  N.Bastian

M.Giordano - A.Larsson

J.Oleksiak - V.Dunn

C.Soucy - W.Borgen

H.Fleury - D.Cholowski

P.Grubauer

C.Driedger

(Charlotte-AHL)

M.McCormick -A.True- C.Blackwell

C.Twarynski -L.Henman- K.Lind

G.Olofsson - C.Fleury

- C.Carrick

A.Bibeau

J.Daccord

Edited by ZH96
  • Cheers 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:21 PM, ZH96 said:

I would have done this before Juolevi was traded to Florida. Good idea. Seattle will be forced to trade one or two players once the five players on Covid protocol are back and once Gourde is healthy. Otherwise they’ll risk losing a young stud like Cholowski or Geekie on waivers :wacko:.

I would do this if I were them once healthy.. (This below would be a 24 player roster and leave Jeremy Lauzon and Mason Appleton as the two needing to be traded IMO. To reach 23 players I’d try to waive one of Borgen, Sheahan, Bastian, or Donato down to Charlotte until potential playoff time. As for Lauzon and Appleton those are two players the Canucks should be all over. 

J.Schwartz -A.Wennberg- J.Eberle

A.Barre-Boulet -Y.Gourde- J.Donskoi
J.McCann -M.Johansson- C.Jarnkrok

R.Donato -M.Geekie- B.Tanev

R.Sheahan  N.Bastian

M.Giordano - A.Larsson

J.Oleksiak - V.Dunn

C.Soucy - W.Borgen

H.Fleury - D.Cholowski

P.Grubauer

C.Driedger

(Charlotte-AHL)

M.McCormick -A.True- C.Blackwell

C.Twarynski -L.Henman- K.Lind

G.Olofsson - C.Fleury

- C.Carrick

A.Bibeau

J.Daccord

Donato would get claimed for sure if McEwen and Gadjovich got taken 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

Donato would get claimed for sure if McEwen and Gadjovich got taken 

Donato was a UFA after San Jose didn't qualify him.  It's only mid-September that he found a team willing to sign him.