The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Travis Green Thread to end all Travis Green Threads

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

realize that many wanted to see green Terminated before this season started, to allow our young core and new players to be off to a fresh start, but he's back and unfortunately we're seeing the continuation of the results we've seen for the past many years under him.   

Do you think the Players Have Tuned Him Out  - or - are Playing to Get Him Fired - or - are they legitimatly trying to win, yet the systems that green has taught are just Endlessly Failing?   

....and do you believe that Green is the one to lead us to the "promised land" or are we destined for certain failure under his reign.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to Do we have the right Coaching in place this year to succeed?

The Mantra in the dressing room should be "No more Excuses". 

I'm still a little ill that we waived Gadjovich, especially given Motte and Sutter are out to start the year.   Even with that we have one of the deepest forward groups in our conference - not just the division but the conference. 

Our D is a massive question mark, but if the pre-season showed anything, OEL is a very big upgrade on Edler right now.   Elder would be fine as a third pairing PK/stay at home guy, OEL reminds me of watching EK when he was in OTT a little.   Just a smooth skater, makes the right play, and is an excellent PP QB.   So that's a big bonus.   What isn't though is aside from what we can expect from Myers (and i love having him on our team, solid top four vet that can do little of everything) and Hamonic when he gets back .... it's all over the place really.    Rathbone .. or OJ.   Neither is a top four D yet, both add different things to the table.   Poolman looks like a serviceable bottom pairing D - but will be pigeon-holed into making up for whatever QHs does on the L side which enough has been said about .... guys a game breaker both ways (like Bure a little bit there lol, but isn't a game breaker in the right way like Bure was   yet either).    It's a concern (our D).    For years when Edler or Tanev went down, so did our season.    I'm not so sure the same couldn't happen if either OEL or Myers went down this year. 

Halak should be a little better then Holbty was for us last year except Holbty's solid three games waiting for Demko to come back.    So a slight uptick there.   Demko needs to be a top ten goalie for this team to have a chance at both making the playoffs, and doing some damage once we get there.   That's .918 or better sp ... especially given our D is still an issue. 

TG is coaching a team that most think has a chance at a top three or wild card spot.   No experts are calling us a lock for the playoffs yet.    About the same as last year really.   

I said no more excuses because last year it was no pre-season/camp and then Covid.   Interestingly we had our best run of games without EP pre-covid.

Don't think TG is a bad NHL coach.   Think he is an average or even above average one.    He's no Trotz, but that also comes with experience too.   But the noose is coming this year if we end up on a long losing streak.   

• Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I like Green, but I don’t think he is the right guy for the team. 

We need a Trotz or something like that.  
A defensively focused old school guy. 

We have all the forward skill we need, but our defence sucks.  
We need someone who can get more out of the bad D squad, because it doesn’t look like there will be any major upgrade on the backend coming any time soon 

There is only one Trotz.   He's the best coach the league has.   I don't remember seeing a team change their defensive game aside from NJ trap days - but NJ also had a lot of guys to work with as well, including one of the best goalies ever (plus Stevens etc)...

Trotz took a team that just lost their best player in Tavares, and was one of the worse defensive teams in the league, with very little roster change, and lowered their goals against by 50.   Don't know how the heck he did it.   They were a worse roster ... and after one year became one of the best defensive teams in the league.   Barzal offense suffered for it, but surely he doesn't care ... look at them now, a legit contender.   Still with a lot less to work with then other contenders.   Quenville and Trotz are the front runners for the Adams to start the year.    Maybe we will need a big name coach to takes us over the top.   It's not Torts lol.   And it's not Babcock.   To me there really isn't many coaches that are that much better then their peer group at the NHL level.     Good players make good coaches and all that.   We have a team that is supposed to get around 86-89 points this year.    Not exactly inspiring.    Green is fine for now.  And hope he gets us to the 95-98 area.   If he does, just like i said on other threads, he's an above average NHL coach.   If he looses his job, he won't have to wait long of other offers. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There is only one Trotz.   He's the best coach the league has.   I don't remember seeing a team change their defensive game aside from NJ trap days - but NJ also had a lot of guys to work with as well, including one of the best goalies ever (plus Stevens etc)...

Trotz took a team that just lost their best player in Tavares, and was one of the worse defensive teams in the league, with very little roster change, and lowered their goals against by 50.   Don't know how the heck he did it.   They were a worse roster ... and after one year became one of the best defensive teams in the league.   Barzal offense suffered for it, but surely he doesn't care ... look at them now, a legit contender.   Still with a lot less to work with then other contenders.   Quenville and Trotz are the front runners for the Adams to start the year.    Maybe we will need a big name coach to takes us over the top.   It's not Torts lol.   And it's not Babcock.   To me there really isn't many coaches that are that much better then their peer group at the NHL level.     Good players make good coaches and all that.   We have a team that is supposed to get around 86-89 points this year.    Not exactly inspiring.    Green is fine for now.  And hope he gets us to the 95-98 area.   If he does, just like i said on other threads, he's an above average NHL coach.   If he looses his job, he won't have to wait long of other offers. 

The Trotz coached Washington team was one of the best coached teams I have seen. Constantly skate as a five man unit, not a collection of individuals. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

40 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I would think the leash is short for both Benning and Green. 
This team should be a playoff team in this division. 

1. Vegas.  2 EDM is virtually what every expert predicts. 

That leaves battling for 3rd to guarantee a spot ... the Central is still stronger then us.

If Seattle didn't get Grubeaur then they'd be out of the competition.   But they did and they are.   

CAL is a vet team in a win now mode.   Lost Gio, but still they have Markstrom and half our former squad lol ... 

LA re-built, didn't re-tool like SJ, and just like CHI are now a threat.   Dividends will play out over the next 3-4 years as a result. 

SJ/ANA yes they should both be bottom feeders. 

Where does that leave us?   We are in the mix for a playoff spot but certainly nobody is slotted us in from the start.    Our forward group is our strength; our D our weakness.   People keep bashing bomber and maybe he deserves it, but go look at other D's and be honest about it.  Vegas miles ahead.   EDM isn't that bad at all.   Keith came at a price but he's still - Duncan Keith.   Nurse well overpaid but he's still very good.   And Barrie can do his PP thing.    SJ that's their only thing even with their aging stars.   LA ... not that bad.   Edler will help.   They are a dark horse now. 

3-5 again is where we likely will end up.   Any worse then coaching for sure plays into it.   

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The Trotz coached Washington team was one of the best coached teams I have seen. Constantly skate as a five man unit, not a collection of individuals. 

They really screwed the pooch on not re-signing him.   Ostrich boy went from an up and coming star to a distraction.   Wasted Ovi's swan song ...

Edit: That said for me Trotz went from a Lindy Ruff type, as in a long serving coach on some good but not great teams, to a superstar not after winning in Washington, but after that in NYI.   Wow.   I always thought he just had a stable of stallions in NSH on D (which of course he did!!), but what he's done in NYI... the guy simply has to end up in the HHOF now.   WSH had a great team for two cores with Ovi.   He gets some props for winning a cup with their second core, but not as much for what he did with NSH and NYI with lesser squads.   Like Roger Neilson did with our first cup run.   That team didn't have much business at all in the final. 

Edited by IBatch

28 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Shaw is Benning's insurance policy. 

If you think about it, it's quite crafty. 

Shaw gets a first hand look at what works and what doesn't.

And a good look at the players. 

If Green stumbles. Benning let's Green go.

Shaw already will have a handle on the team. 

this covers it I think. I don't believe Green is the make or break issue for this team, it'll be the usual - who can stay healthy.

I think apart from the Covid playoff bubble, Green's system doesn't fit well with this team. He has an aggressive system, presses high with forechecking and pinching but around 75% of the time it's burnt us and lead to too many defensive holes.

We need a defence-first coach and build from our great goalie outwards, with opportunistic offence. That suits this team better. Otherwise we keep leaving our defencemen in bad positions.

• Cheers 1

IMO, Green is the coach who is book smart & plays the part of a head coach well on Camera cause the product on the ice cannot be sugar coated.  Also, his tendency to have favorites, is not a good way of managing a locker room full of millionaires.

P4eferably, someone who doesn't coach scared manner; and someone who will emphasize rolling four lines cause JB (on paper) has put together a team that has enough depth to roll four lines; but it takes a creative staff to make it work and the decisiveness to know when to deploy the right match up.  His indecision or predictably (ie: shortening the bench) in crucial times of game has cost the team & himself wins - good chance the opposing coaches have a book on each other.

Edited by ShawnAntoski