The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Travis Green Thread to end all Travis Green Threads

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Chemistry has always been a big thing for me with Greens coaching ever since that season when Vegas joined the league.  They had a pack of 3rd liners, disciplined, motivated and knew how to get the puck to each other in all 3 zones. We have a bunch of more skill players who don't seem to know where each other are or how to support the puck. Vegas absolutely destroyed us that season, and pretty have since.  Tho i know they have added a lot of skill and salary since then. 

I'm seeing the same thing in every game again this season. Mini, Phili, EDM, All trapped us in our zone for extended periods, breaking up outlet plays again and again, and retrieved the puck with ease on our offensive plays, despite players like Hogz, Horvat, Garland, Miller, all looking strong along the boards. 

Always hated the Green Line blender. I know sometimes it can help inject some life into a flat game - but he deploys it constantly. Like one bad shift and its the switch-r-roo again. Now I'm no pro-athlete, far from it, but i've played team sports constantly for 30+ years and there's something, well a lot actually,  to be said for having that chemistry to know where your team mates are and what they are likely to do.  

We have a few new faces sure - but like many here have pointed out we squandered pre-season on the 'plug auditions' while our divisional rivals were building chemistry and confidence feasting on our AHL lines. That's on the coaching - for sure. 

Bang on completely.  Even worse, the plug auditions resulting in Green getting rid of the useful players and keeping AHL trash to through into his line blender.  The problem is that Green doesn't know how to deviate from his system that clearly doesn't work, so butchering the lineup even worse than he did when he set it initially is his only method of making in-game adjustments. 

I've been a Green supporter and I will stick my neck out so you can flame away :).  I think he is a good coach and if we fire him, I would bet that he wouldn't be waiting long for another job.  

What's the concern about putting lines in a blender when they are unproductive game after game.  You have to do something to shake the team up.  The Lotto line was doing nothing for several games (especially, even strength).  

Also, our D is one of the weakest in the division - we really need Hamonic back. I do wish we could have kept Gadjovich or MacEwan because we need some bigger bodies in our bottom 6.  As Bieksa said on Hockey Night in Canada, we haven't discovered our team identity.  Our we a offensive fast team, a defensive team or a tough team.  

I think it is too early to panic.  Let's wait until we get Motte, Sutter and Hamonic back before we dump Green.  

We may be a little better this year but the Oilers and Flames are much better than they were last year.  I put a lot of the blame here on the GM who I have also supported (but less so now).  We have given away a lot of draft picks and prospects and I am concerned about our player development.  We have also made some bad UFA signings (too much money and too much term).  For the past three years or so, I thought that peoples' expectations of the Canucks have been way too high.  I've always thought that this team would be lucky to make the playoffs.  Our bubble playoff team only went as far as Markstrom and Demko could take us.  The past couple of years, we were giving up some of the highest shot totals in the league (not a recipe for success).

Lets wait until the end of November before we make any decisions on coaching changes (at least until we have Motte, Hamonic and Sutter back - we need those guys badly).  Personally, with the team that we have, I would be happy if we could just make the playoffs.  Anyway, flame away!  Go Canucks!

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Bang on completely.  Even worse, the plug auditions resulting in Green getting rid of the useful players and keeping AHL trash to through into his line blender.  The problem is that Green doesn't know how to deviate from his system that clearly doesn't work, so butchering the lineup even worse than he did when he set it initially is his only method of making in-game adjustments. 

A repeat of an earlier comment

I couldn't believe it tonight. Edmonton iced the puck, hemmed in their own end. Green makes a line change, we're down 2-0 and he sends out his 4th line for an offensive end face off, a tired Oilers line. You just shake your head

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:06 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

We are working on having a separate thread for the Coach and GM in the Roster section similar to what we do for players.

Alright, it looks like the new Coaching Staff thread is live (thanks to Stealth). Hopefully this minimizes some of the redundant Coaching threads!

Let’s continue discussion there:

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1