The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Travis Green Thread to end all Travis Green Threads

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

I have seen enough from last two years that Green relies on dump and chase to waste time and doing nothing to sustain the offense and powerplay and defensive game is that bad and I have yet to see a Canucks game but what I have gathered so far is that nothing changes even with new players on the team.   Maybe it's time to adjust the system or shake things up on coaching level.    I do not get why Green is playing like he is afraid of losing his job by dumb decisions on player management.   Benning provided Green everything he needed and Green doesn't use them properly.  The biggest part is Baumer still being on this team.as an assistant coach.  He was supposed to be let go as from last season but I'm thinking Green is pulling for him at expense of well-being of the team when it became clear that he is not fit in this team.  .  

• Vintage 1

I was a huge TG supporter. Especially during our playoff run 2 years ago. Minni and St Louis, I was so proud of this team including Green. 

I think he started to lose the room in the Vegas series. We looked good against Minni and St Louis. But something changed against Vegas. 

The team didn't go down fighting playing their game. They basically deployed a trap game and went into shell mode while Demko stood on his head. 

TG deployed a strategy he thought would give the best chance for the team to win but no player wants to stand on the ice and be a human shield all series. 

If I am a star player, I want to be a difference maker and play my game. 

You think the team doesn't know who played well in camp vs who made it out of camp? 

All these moves result in apathy and Green's gotta do something to regain trust in his room. 

There is a trust gap between coaching staff and the team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/10/2021 at 9:16 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Shaw is Benning's insurance policy. 

If you think about it, it's quite crafty. 

Shaw gets a first hand look at what works and what doesn't.

And a good look at the players. 

If Green stumbles. Benning let's Green go.

Shaw already will have a handle on the team. 

Who's decision was Shaw?   Doesn't the head coach usually pick his own assistants? 

If not, then you run a fair chance of having a couple coaches who don't mesh.  

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Who's decision was Shaw?   Doesn't the head coach usually pick his own assistants? 

If not, then you run a fair chance of having a couple coaches who don't mesh.  

Guaranteed it wasn’t Green who picked him as it’s pretty obvious Shaw has not been given any weight to change much with the team like he said was his role coming in.

I’ll say if they are below .500

or in the bottom 10 in the league come Boxing Day (which lets be honest is plausible) then both Green and Benning are finally shot out of a cannon… (cue Dan Bylsma, Michel Therrien or Jacques Martin as head coach; Ryan Johnson or Jeff Gorton as GM …with a very slight chance Sedins along with Gillis returning to infuse a newly developed vision to the management core).

21 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I was a huge TG supporter. Especially during our playoff run 2 years ago. Minni and St Louis, I was so proud of this team including Green. 

I think he started to lose the room in the Vegas series. We looked good against Minni and St Louis. But something changed against Vegas. 

The team didn't go down fighting playing their game. They basically deployed a trap game and went into shell mode while Demko stood on his head. 

TG deployed a strategy he thought would give the best chance for the team to win but no player wants to stand on the ice and be a human shield all series. 

If I am a star player, I want to be a difference maker and play my game. 

You think the team doesn't know who played well in camp vs who made it out of camp? 

All these moves result in apathy and Green's gotta do something to regain trust in his room. 

There is a trust gap between coaching staff and the team. 

I don't think Green lost the room at all during the Vegas series.   The team played their hearts out, they were just completely over their heads.   If you watched the Dallas series, who beat Vegas, they also had a terribly rough time trying to contain Vegas, but won because they simply couldn't score (Demko was still in their heads has been a thing regarding that).   The better team lost that series.    If we beat Vegas - the way better team would have lost.    We simply didn't have the troops to beat them.   I also gained a ton of respect for both the team and Travis Green during that run.   They include the extra round in the stats sheet as they should.   17 games is the fourth most this team has ever played in one season.  It was awesome beating both MIN (because they had one of the best D's in the league) and even more so St. Louis .... Horvat vs O'Reilly was a treat to watch. 

Thing is that bubble team was laden with expensive bottom six guys, and aging veterans.   Our core aside from Horvat, had barely played any NHL games really.  

I wasn't surprised we followed that up with a bad year given the roster changes last off season.   Really this year was just as much turn over.   The little bit of the old guard is finally gone.   

On Green.  Initially just thought he was going to be a fall guy coach, one that plays a couple years and never gets another job.    Turns out he actually kind of pulled it off.   As long as him and JB are in the same boat, and he's got the room still, then i want him to stay.   Unlike some posters, i don't think our roster is more then middling at this point.   The bar that was set is 86-89 points...a few outliers either way but that's the average given our existing roster.   If we end up with 80 points - yes time to go ... if we end up with 92 then not bad.   Willing to wait it out for sure.   And hoping for some bubble magic come the post season - with a caveat - don't really want to watch another Vegas type series as it certainly can't be all Demko, Motte and an injured Myers doing all the heavy lifting. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Travis Green in my mind, like The Hockey News and others that really pay attention to this stuff, has potential to become a long lasting coach in this league (potential).

There was a lot of interest and speculation over last season that he could become available, and if so where he'd end up in the "Eastern Biased Media".   Why?  Because they actually like him and consider him an up and coming coach.   There is something to say about a young team and coach working together to make things happen - it makes for a good story and it's hard not to root for him as well as the team as they grow together.   My expectations might be low given how long i've watched this team, but at least it provides some perspective, and this is a team i truly can get behind.   We are a couple players away from going places.   That's not up to TG, it's up to JB.   He's made lemonade out of lemons for us during the rebuild, why not give him a chance to see what he can do with a slightly better roster then what we had during the bubble?   That could be enough come post season, to make it to the third round.     Absolutely we have to make it there first and playoffs and the Stanley Cup for sure should be the goal every single year now.    Unless he goes on a long losing streak, loses the room like guys like Keenan and Trotz inevitably do, or we end up bottom ten again i'm fine with letting this play out.  

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

I don't think Green lost the room at all during the Vegas series.   The team played their hearts out, they were just completely over their heads.   If you watched the Dallas series, who beat Vegas, they also had a terribly rough time trying to contain Vegas, but won because they simply couldn't score (Demko was still in their heads has been a thing regarding that).   The better team lost that series.    If we beat Vegas - the way better team would have lost.    We simply didn't have the troops to beat them.   I also gained a ton of respect for both the team and Travis Green during that run.   They include the extra round in the stats sheet as they should.   17 games is the fourth most this team has ever played in one season.  It was awesome beating both MIN (because they had one of the best D's in the league) and even more so St. Louis .... Horvat vs O'Reilly was a treat to watch. 

Thing is that bubble team was laden with expensive bottom six guys, and aging veterans.   Our core aside from Horvat, had barely played any NHL games really.  

I wasn't surprised we followed that up with a bad year given the roster changes last off season.   Really this year was just as much turn over.   The little bit of the old guard is finally gone.   

On Green.  Initially just thought he was going to be a fall guy coach, one that plays a couple years and never gets another job.    Turns out he actually kind of pulled it off.   As long as him and JB are in the same boat, and he's got the room still, then i want him to stay.   Unlike some posters, i don't think our roster is more then middling at this point.   The bar that was set is 86-89 points...a few outliers either way but that's the average given our existing roster.   If we end up with 80 points - yes time to go ... if we end up with 92 then not bad.   Willing to wait it out for sure.   And hoping for some bubble magic come the post season - with a caveat - don't really want to watch another Vegas type series as it certainly can't be all Demko, Motte and an injured Myers doing all the heavy lifting. 

I agree, in hindsight, they bought in to TG that entire playoff run including the Vegas series. I wonder though if they would ever look back and think, I wonder what would have happened if we just played our game. 

Yes they were over matched in terms of talent and I think TGs defensive strategy was probably our best chance of success. I mean we took it to game 7.

I do think Dallas moved the puck much better than us from their back end which was the key factor to them winning the series though. 

Edited by CanucksJay

43 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I agree, in hindsight, they bought in to TG that entire playoff run including the Vegas series. I wonder though if they would ever look back and think, I wonder what would have happened if we just played our game. 

Yes they were over matched in terms of talent and I think TGs defensive strategy was probably our best chance of success. I mean we took it to game 7.

I do think Dallas moved the puck much better than us from their back end which was the key factor to them winning the series though. 

The problem is Green himself keeps suggesting the team isn’t buying into his system now. 

Not many coaches need to bag skate their team a handful of games into the season. That is a strong indication that the coach is losing the room actually.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Well after that disappointing 6 game road trip - full of lost opportunity and miracle victories like this evening over Seattle (no thanks to green), It's pretty obvious that green has made a mess of the lineup and kept the team playing the exact same style of ineffective peripheral play as we've seen fail for many years. Haven't seen a single new play this year.  The PK is almost rock bottom in the league (as usual) and the PP is little better.   Thankfully we have some of the new players on board this year (that haven't been tainted by Green & BumGardener yet) to thank, and they seem to be the only bright stars on the team now along with BO, QH, Demko and Pearson from last year. Based with what i've seen so far, I'm not feeling overly confident that we'll make the playoffs if this level of performance continues - although on paper we definately should.   This points soley to extremely BAD COACHING.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/21/2021 at 8:36 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is Green himself keeps suggesting the team isn’t buying into his system now. 

Not many coaches need to bag skate their team a handful of games into the season. That is a strong indication that the coach is losing the room actually.

Well said!    That's exactly what bag skating is used for by coaches - as a last ditch means to try to get thru to players that are dragging their A$$ - which is mostly a result of players tuning out the Coach and having little motivation and faith in "the system".  

On 10/21/2021 at 5:36 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Are You serious? Did Green bag skate his players during the season? 
I don’t have a problem with it if it’s a training method they have but as a punishment it screams ”neanderthal”.