The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 43 players - Oct. 10, 2021

1 hour ago, Nuck1991 said:

if hamonic gets claimed, that frees up cap space for us, i would go aftee josh manson from ducks, good RHD

Why would anyone claim a player that’s signed for 3 million for two years that they don’t even know will play this season?

This move was 100% made to free up a roster spot without having to suspend Hamonic for not showing up. Clearly they’re being very patient with him and giving him the time he needs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why would anyone claim a player that’s signed for 3 million for two years that they don’t even know will play this season?

This move was 100% made to free up a roster spot without having to suspend Hamonic for not showing up. Clearly they’re being very patient with him and giving him the time he needs.

this ^.

I'm not sure why anyone's confused over waiving Hamonic. It does tell us it won't be resolved for a bit of time yet. i suppose it makes it easier for him to report to Abby for conditioning if he does come back.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Benning cap mismanagement again...... with harmonic.. when will it ever end..  I think Benning,Green and aquaman has something special going on behind the door!!!!! 

Again. Cap isn’t the reason Hamonic* is being waived lol. 

I am sure we have no interest in Turris otherwise we could have had him a couple times.

Solid 2 way Centre to cover for Sutter.  Mild amount of risk due to his being paid more than can be buried… but is an upgrade on a number of our bottom 6 guys and not too expensive.

It seems like they want to try Miller as a 3C though 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Again. Cap isn’t the reason Hamonic* is being waived lol. 

What other reason?

They don't need to waive him if they wish to suspend him for failure to report.

If they are granting him a leave of absence for personal reasons his 3M stays on the cap if he's on the main roster.  If demoted to the AHL, his cap hit drops to 1.875M.  

I think Hamonic's pending demotion to the AHL is for two reasons: 1. He will not be back in time for the opening night so there's no need to keep him on the NHL roster right now (i.e. gives us another roster spot for someone else), and 2. They have worked out a plan regarding cap that includes Hamonic at $1.875m cap hit, which maximises the LTIR relief we will get.

• Vintage 1

Our defence just lost Hamonic and Juolevi and gained a waiver player in Juulsen. Sustr hasn't played much these last few years but might be worth a gamble, big strong right defenceman.

I worry we're going to struggle on the blueline big time now, what looked like an upgrade in the offseason has now changed as we lose a top 4 guy and arguably solid bottom pairing guy in Juolevi. We had great depth, now if injuries hit us we don't have many good replacements.

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

this ^.

I'm not sure why anyone's confused over waiving Hamonic. It does tell us it won't be resolved for a bit of time yet. i suppose it makes it easier for him to report to Abby for conditioning if he does come back.

I think there is also a conditioning clause for Hamonic if needed,  I think it’s one less player we may have to waive, by waiving Hamonic while he is absent.

Almost certain no one will touch the situation.

If we were finished with him, Not Reporting to Camp would have been an issue,. One worthy of contract termination, and probable League suspension.

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Turris as a right hander is interesting.

Nah, Turris has fallen off the cliff (further than before) (and bounced....a few times). Last season 27 games averaging 12 mins/gm. At even strength 19 goals scored against him, only 8 goals for. In just 23 mins of penalty kill time the opposition scored 5 goals, that's almost 13 goals/60 mins. Absolutely atrocious! Can't even crack the bottom 6 on the Oilers. Stay away!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

I am sure we have no interest in Turris otherwise we could have had him a couple times.

Solid 2 way Centre to cover for Sutter.  Mild amount of risk due to his being paid more than can be buried… but is an upgrade on a number of our bottom 6 guys and not too expensive.

It seems like they want to try Miller as a 3C though 

Turris was not reliable defensively in Nashville.  Edmonton have been looking for a C3 to take on some of the tough matchups - doesn't look like he convinced them either.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Our defence just lost Hamonic and Juolevi and gained a waiver player in Juulsen. Sustr hasn't played much these last few years but might be worth a gamble, big strong right defenceman.

I worry we're going to struggle on the blueline big time now, what looked like an upgrade in the offseason has now changed as we lose a top 4 guy and arguably solid bottom pairing guy in Juolevi. We had great depth, now if injuries hit us we don't have many good replacements.

Bowey looked good in camp.

But yea if they think Schenn, Hunt, and Burroughs are good enough depth to get us through the season they’re in for a rude awakening.

I hope Benning has his irons in a couple fires at least because we need help on the blue line. Even Demers is looking like a huge upgrade at this point.

• Cheers 1