The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noah Juulsen | D

-AJ-

33 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

He has yet to hit the 20 minute mark in a game (Vs Wolanin who played 20+ minutes in back to back games). Bear played 24+ minutes in back to back games before his absence. I don’t think he is quite there - but perhaps an option for the bottom pairing next season.

We are in a sticky cap situation. At around $2M I think bringing back Bear for one season is a smart move as he as shown he can play a top 4 role relatively well. Even if he ends up playing in the bottom pairing he is a good guy to keep as I think he is well above replacement level but way cheaper than a more proven top 4

I'd be happy with both Bear and Juulsen coming back. That would free us up for a potential Myers move in the summer. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'd be happy with both Bear and Juulsen coming back. That would free us up for a potential Myers move in the summer. 

Logic tell me Myers is gone this summer.... after his bonus is paid. He is only paid $1mill per year after the bonus is paid. Moving Myers ate $1 mill per season is ideal for teams thtdon't have a cap problems, maybe Arizona. Plus lets not limit ourselves to players Vcr alone undersatdns. We're tring to upgrade not same old same old

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Logic tell me Myers is gone this summer.... after his bonus is paid. He is only paid $1mill per year after the bonus is paid. Moving Myers ate $1 mill per season is ideal for teams thtdon't have a cap problems, maybe Arizona. Plus lets not limit ourselves to players Vcr alone undersatdns. We're tring to upgrade not same old same old

If we trade Myers to Arizona for Nemeth and send him down to the minors that clears up about $4M in cap while saving Arizona $2.5M in cash. Myers would also get top 4 minutes in Arizona so he could maybe fetch them a 3rd at 50% retained come deadline. Arizona will be nowhere near the cap limit and if anything this helps keep them above the floor. 

I can see Aqua vetoing this though, as it would cost him $8.5M to have Nemeth play in the minors 

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

If we trade Myers to Arizona for Nemeth and send him down to the minors that clears up about $4M in cap while saving Arizona $2.5M in cash. Myers would also get top 4 minutes in Arizona so he could maybe fetch them a 3rd at 50% retained come deadline. Arizona will be nowhere near the cap limit and if anything this helps keep them above the floor. 

I can see Aqua vetoing this though, as it would cost him $8.5M to have Nemeth play in the minors 

If Myers is traded it'll be for  small if any return. This is all about clearingCap space and making way for less expensive replacements. I've never seen Filip Johansson (RHD) play  but just reading the tea leaves it strikes me they have some expectation from this guy. Summer will tell the story

Edited by Fred65

I have been very impressed with Juulsen, he is very solid and seems to be a great partner for Hughes.  He is a bit more mobile and better with the puck than Schenn.  If Hughes likes him, then keep him.  He is not a liability.  I think Hughes has played his best hockey this year with Juulsen.  Our right side already looks a lot better.  If we can sign Livingstone, bring in Johansson, and trade Myers or teach him that he is not an offensive defenseman, we have the makings of a much better right side.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 6:56 PM, Dixon Ward said:

I have been very impressed with Juulsen, he is very solid and seems to be a great partner for Hughes.  He is a bit more mobile and better with the puck than Schenn.  If Hughes likes him, then keep him.  He is not a liability.  I think Hughes has played his best hockey this year with Juulsen.  Our right side already looks a lot better.  If we can sign Livingstone, bring in Johansson, and trade Myers or teach him that he is not an offensive defenseman, we have the makings of a much better right side.

Honestly I don’t know why everyone with the opportunity to play along side Hughes isn’t just playing slightly back and cover Hughes and at all cost, stand up for Hughes.

it’s like how a border line NHLer gets suddenly to become a TOP pairing 5 vs 5 D man with a generational talent who is only 22 and be the go between for Hughes and EP40…

yeah, okay… only instructions from Tochet to every auditioning player,

’Just don’t loose your shit when the puck and a forechecker come at you at the same time.”  That it and compete!  And it’s a big summer for you!

lol

On 3/20/2023 at 9:07 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

We also have Johansson coming over that the Canucks are very high on. He is a 23 year old former first round pick that has matured very well over the past year or so. Decent size at 6’1” 187, right hand shot. Very sound defensively, and gets important points in big games. Jett Woo has also made great strides in Abby. He hits a ton and has lately been productive on the pp - fixture on the pk. So, lots of competition for spots next year on the right side. The Abby team plays great team D, which is terrific prep for gaining a comfort level with the Vancouver coaching staff.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Why have we not re-signed this man? 

Are they waiting on Bear? 

I'd rather take Juulsen on a one way cheap contract then Bear on a 3 mil/year deal to be honest. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Need more defencemen like Juulesen. Good size, takes the body, and is defensively responsible. 

Frankly I'd prefer Burroughs to Juulsen. However I imagine Burroughs might well draw interset from other teams

Edited by Fred65
  • Vintage 1