The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noah Juulsen | D

-AJ-

16 hours ago, Fred65 said:

compouded by letting Tanev go, even worse for free

How exactly would you go into your dressing room and tell the guys that are getting hyped up for their first playoffs in a while that you're a seller and don't believe in them?  

On 12/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, Gollumpus said:

Don't disagree, but where would you have had the team (EVER) get a top-4 RHD in Benning's time? Often/usually those guys are acquired in the draft, and more often than not are from the first round pick a team has in any given draft. And what kind of guys are available in any given draft is usually a factor (lots of LHD but no RHD), and who has been picked before you get to select, etc.

Let's look at the drafts under Benning, and which (if any) RHD could have been had in the first round:

2014 - took Virtanen (W) and McCann (C). RHD available: Honka, DeAngelo, anyone else was selected after Demko.(2nd rnd).

2015 - took Boeser (RW). RHD available: Juulsen, Carlo (taken 14 picks later), Cernak (taken 20 picks later Boeser), 

2016 - took Juolevi (LHD)i. Maybe take McAvoy (RHD). or Fabbro (RHD), I'd still prefer Chtchrun or Sergachev (both LHD)

2017 - took Pettersson (C). Anyone want to give him back for Necas? How about any of the other RHD available? Foote? Jokiharju?

2018 - took Hughes.(LHD). Want to throw him back?  RHD available: Bogvist? Bouchard? Dobson? Merkley? Johanssen? Bernard=Docker? Lundkvist? 

2019 - Podkolzin (RW).  RHD available: Soderstrom, Thomson. 

2020 - no pick (20th OA).  RHD available: Barron, Grans, 

2021 - no pick (9th OA).  RHD available: Cuelemans (taken 25th OA), Mailloux (there are issues with this guy)

And trading for a top-4 RHD is pretty much not cost effective for most teams, particularly for re-building teams. Established teams have the picks/prospects which they might be willing to give up, or they are in great need of getting rid of cap/bad contracts, something which can hinder a team's progress.

regards,  G.

If I ever come across a time machine I'm telling Benning to trade down, add assets and take McAvoy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

How exactly would you go into your dressing room and tell the guys that are getting hyped up for their first playoffs in a while that you're a seller and don't believe in them?  

I swear some people think this is a video game. That wasn't at all a reasonable move. Same with Marky.

Now letting him walk in the offseason was likely a mistake (in hindsight). That said, I can see why management didn't want to match the deal he got in Calgary. And I can see why Tanev took it. Sometimes that $&!# just happens.

I like his size and I like his passing. He nearly sprung a couple of wingers on the left side passing out of the right side d-zone. He was cautious in his own zone which was to be expected. From what I read from Abby he was trying to rebuild his game as a stay at home defender. He didn’t hurt his case last night.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Sure as hell better than whatever Brad Hunt's done all season. Its an adventure whenever Hunt is on the ice

Brad Hunt played a very good game against Carolina. Maybe a second opinion was all some of the guys needed? Poolman's game stepped up a notch, Myers is playing far better than he's been given credit for, and Schenn has been solid playing beside QH.

I was a Green supporter, and I have to admit he lost the team somewhere, somehow along the way. Winning does that for a team.

52 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I like his size and I like his passing. He nearly sprung a couple of wingers on the left side passing out of the right side d-zone. He was cautious in his own zone which was to be expected. From what I read from Abby he was trying to rebuild his game as a stay at home defender. He didn’t hurt his case last night.

It looks like he's going to be around the big team for a spell, he played the two on one perfect, but both CBJ's made good plays.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

His positioning and passing looked good to me.  Although I only saw a little more than half of it.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I think with the comfort and confidence of 6-10 games he will settle in nicely..

at this point , I would keep him, and not think of him as trade fodder.

I think his ceiling is far above what we’ve seen.

Solid on the line, good positioning, no gap in front of the net,  and yes, that passing was crisp and quite precise.

if the one off the up left boards had caught Hogz attention and backhand,  that would have been a rocket play.

I hope they see that in the video room and discuss that as a monster outlet play to be aware of.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Sure as hell better than whatever Brad Hunt's done all season. Its an adventure whenever Hunt is on the ice

I think with Burroughs being so solid , and a possible emergence with Juulsen ,  Hunt may find his role as mentor in Abby and embrace it.

Im wondering if Rathbone, may become a good trade piece before the season deadline?

1 too many skilled D guys??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think with Burroughs being so solid , and a possible emergence with Juulsen ,  Hunt may find his role as mentor in Abby and embrace it.

Im wondering if Rathbone, may become a good trade piece before the season deadline?

Bruce says he likes to play fast. That’s probably where Rathbone would come in. However I think Rathbone could be potentially a great trading piece for a top six winger. I think we’re definitely missing at least one Top six Winger. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

With the emergence of burrows 2.0 I agree that Rathbone is somewhat expendable. However I'd wait till his value rises before making a trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1