The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With the premature departure of Juolevi - do you still think JB is a drafting genius?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

I don't think Joulevi failing as a prospect can really be blamed on Benning. By the scouting reports themselves, one of Joulevi's strengths was his mobility and skating. However, it was clearly his biggest weaknesses at camp. The only thing that can explain the drastic difference in his skating has to do with his injuries. Nobody has a crystal ball guys.

Virtanen I blame 100% on Benning, Joulevi was just unlucky.

Edited by AK_19

Lets not forget, Juolevi was one of the "Big 3 Finns" of the draft year.  That depending on positional need, any of them could be chosen over the other.  Olli being ranked #6, JB didn't take a long-shot with it.  It wasn't like he like Burke and was drafting Bryan Allen or anything.  

I was never disappointed with the pick, but I always thought they should have draft Tkachuk... just because I thought his offensive skills and style of player would be able to extend the productiveness of the Sedins for many more years. 

That if the Canucks main defensive need was an offensive defenseman.  They have pretty good 2-way defenseman in Alex Edler who was still in his prime, 2 very good prospects at the time in Ben Hutton and Nikita Tryamkin, Chris Tanev being a stalwart on defense and Sbisa supposedly on the cusp of being an impact player.  But... there's no offense-first defenseman and there hasn't been one since Ehrhoff left town.  Since Chychrun was also supposed to be competing to the #1 overall that draft, I would have assumed that the Canucks would pick him.

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Juolevi didn't turn up to his first camp prepared and I'm not sure he ever understood what it took to be an NHL player.  His post bag skate lay down was pathetic and made him look weak in front of coaches and players and fans.  He really needed to have a good summer and show up to camp and make an impression. 

He made an impression alright and it's off to Florida for him.

You never know what you're really going to get when you draft a 17 year old.  They're coached to do well in interviews.  Some of them clearly have it easy as kids because they don't have the drive to make it in the toughest league in the world.  If you've got a guy with the wrong mindset, and it doesn't change, then you've got to ship him out because you don't win cups with players like this.

Good luck Ollie.  Hopefully this is the kick in the rear he needs. 

Actually a kick in the rear might not be enough, after being injured, he lost mobility and some he probably may never get back and being able to pivot can only be overcome to a certain degree by positioning but not all the time which is just as bad as attitude (or lack of it) in his case.. 

In my mind this was a no brainer move by JB, got another player who is bigger, faster, more physical that we need and a good passer who can help on the PK until we get out systems down and play better in it, we'll certainly need that out of Lammikko and he's got experience so an easy pick for some help on the PK until the penalties start to drop.

Juulsen? Imo could do with some more experience to get better but Rathbone simply out everythinged OJ, end of story... 

Nothing wrong with this move at all.. 

25 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I don't think Joulevi failing as a prospect can really be blamed on Benning. By the scouting reports themselves, one of Joulevi's strengths was his mobility and skating. However, it was clearly his biggest weaknesses at camp. The only thing that can explain the drastic difference in his skating has to do with his injuries. Nobody has a crystal ball guys.

Virtanen I blame 100% on Benning, Joulevi was just unlucky.

You blame someone for what's in someone else's head and especially that of a potential power forward? that's one of the hardest positions to fill with a guy who has tamed himself just enough to be that guy who knows how to play and exactly when to pick battles and if you think that's easy with the kind of attitude it takes and then be honed perfectly by self control, seriously if you think it's just that easy you'd be a fool.. I'll point to a young mark messier, who at first played like a bull in a china shop, dumb penalty after another until WG was yelling in his face at times giving him a WTF were you thinking, sadly JV never got there as seldom prospects do.. so again if you think it's easy and just blame someone for taking a chance which is the same for any prospect not named Gretz McD etc, that's just being... well not thinking the whole picture out enough..  

4 hours ago, drummer4now said:

I think he just got lucky with some of his picks… no different if Gillis was at the helm.

Only advantage he had over Gillis was having higher draft placement in deeper drafts a couple of times. 

By that logic no GM is good at drafting just lucky. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

I still don't hate the Juolevi pick, he's just been super unlucky with injuries and hasn't panned out. The worst thing is that I think we haven't managed him well and IMO given him a decent chance whereas Rathbone slots straight in. This is more the coaching problem.

Not many other teams would develop a top 10 pick defenceman slowly, get him playing full time AHL minutes and then the season that he could break into the NHL, trade him for fodder at his lowest value.

I think JBs hand was forced by how the coaches messed up. I stand by the pick for the most part - he's what we needed at the time (remember we had just picked Virtanen so didn't need a top 6 tough guy, and were desperately thin on the blueline in terms of prospects).

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

After the most recent failure & departure of yet another 1st Round pick ( Yo-Levi ), this following another 1st Round failure and deportation of Jake "The Ripper" to Siberia and the 2019 give away of yet another 1st round pick for Miller, do you still belive that Uncle Jim is a drafting genius and can be trusted to properly handle this years 2022 1st round pick?

image.jpeg.725ea07a332cf66d57cd7831feaa1094.jpeg

I gotta say this place is getting as bad as the other place lately.

The amount of posters that only post when there is any type of chance to spew negativity makes it hard to be a fan of this team.

No GM is ever perfect but the one thing that is absolutely paramount when rebuilding is getting a1c, 1d, 1g and high-end wingers. The rest is all abundant and can be acquired in different ways.

The fact that he got all those without ever having a top-four pick makes up for the misses in 2016 and 2014 IMO.

Look around at what other value teams have gotten in the other rounds compared to some of the hits he's hit on. As for trading picks, JT and Garland are quality players that will be more valuable to this core than a #21 that ended up being a Dman that is year's away and a winger who most likely ends up as a good player in 3-5 years.

It's not like they were moved for pieces of crap or to create cap space.

He has made mistakes but what is the point of whining over spilled milk ?

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Losing OJ is a heartbreaking decision, and untimely. Just as he was showing poise, confidence and injury free we trade him for finnished players. I’m not sure who pushed for this but I’m thinking Green. Virt may have been a bust no matter where he played, but Green hated him as well. Sad really.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • RoughGame 1

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to With the premature departure of Juolevi - do you still think JB is a drafting genius?

what i'm starting to see is our prospect pool is starting to be pretty bare i don't care what anyone else say.. we don't have any surefire looking prospect left and i'm not high on any of the prospect we currently have.. i mean the best prospect we had left last year other than podz couldn't even crack the seattle kraken's line up lol. we have been trading away a lot of draft picks lately i'm just wondering wth do we even have left to trade when this team is ready to actually compete? gillis traded away lots of picks and prospect during his years but the team was actually competing all those years.. right now we are trading away a bunch of picks and prospect but we are not even actually competing yet.. with our prospect pool pretty much empty of anything significant.. when we do need to make a big trade for a rental or 2 for the playoff.. that means we have to throw in even more draft picks since we don't have prospects.. i wonder how this is going to setup for the next GM.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

9 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

The Miller trade ended up beyond worth it. Our leading scorer over the last two years for a 20th pick

Anyone who plays with Petey get a bonus.

Miller without Petey isn’t first line. 

You can put Motte with Petey and he would have score similar. 

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Good drafter who's grown into the position, but he's hampered by an incompetent coaching staff, similar to when Burke exposed Scott Walker for the ED against his better judgement.

Really, Really really we all understand you do not like the coaching staff, wait no you HATE green and company

But to use every single post to rant on and on about it is pathetic in my honest opinion

I was going to suggest giving it a rest for 10 games to see how the team is doing, but haters going to hate no matter what

Go Canucks Go

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

what i'm starting to see is our prospect pool is starting to be pretty bare i don't care what anyone else say.. we don't have any surefire looking prospect left and i'm not high on any of the prospect we currently have.. i mean the best prospect we had left last year other than podz couldn't even crack the seattle kraken's line up lol. we have been trading away a lot of draft picks lately i'm just wondering wth do we even have left to trade when this team is ready to actually compete? gillis traded away lots of picks and prospect during his years but the team was actually competing all those years.. right now we are trading away a bunch of picks and prospect but we are not even actually competing yet.. with our prospect pool pretty much empty of anything significant.. when we do need to make a big trade for a rental or 2 for the playoff.. that means we have to throw in even more draft picks since we don't have prospects.. i wonder how this is going to setup for the next GM.

what are you talking about? right now we are trading picks?

good lord, get excited about the season opener

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Rabid Rooster said:

Losing OJ is a heartbreaking decision, and untimely. Just as he was showing poise, confidence and injury free we trade him for finnished players. I’m not sure who pushed for this but I’m thinking Green. Virt may have been a bust no matter where he played, but Green hated him as well. Sad really.

We did not loose him :picard:

we traded him. not heartbreaking.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I still don't hate the Juolevi pick, he's just been super unlucky with injuries and hasn't panned out. The worst thing is that I think we haven't managed him well and IMO given him a decent chance whereas Rathbone slots straight in. This is more the coaching problem.

Not many other teams would develop a top 10 pick defenceman slowly, get him playing full time AHL minutes and then the season that he could break into the NHL, trade him for fodder at his lowest value.

I think JBs hand was forced by how the coaches messed up. I stand by the pick for the most part - he's what we needed at the time (remember we had just picked Virtanen so didn't need a top 6 tough guy, and were desperately thin on the blueline in terms of prospects).

I love it, you turned a topic of GM drafting into a coaching problem

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1