The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ideas for replacing Hamonic?

Rate this topic

DeepThoughts

2 minutes ago, DeepThoughts said:

Nucks may end up having one of the best offensive d trios in the league. Don’t think OEL or Hughes are going anywhere. Rathbone might be our best chip down the line, particularly if he shows well this season. Dobson? Foote?

Whos going to defend?  You win with defense first.. not 1 dimensional offensive dmen.

Ppl on this board keep boasting about our offensive dmen have spent way too much time playing fantasy hockey.

• Like 2

Ya. I think what you see is what you get right now. The team would be so much better with at least one first or second right side defenseman and right now we don’t have any. It is a major red flag where I feel we will have to outscore our opponents. It was one area they needed to address in free agency or by trade in the off-season and didn’t. I know a lot of people mention Hamonic but even with Hamonic it was a weak point. I think it’s going to be a problem until it is addressed. Especially when injuires hit the team.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Internal competition. One of Juulsen, Schenn, Woo, Bowey, Burroughs gets a chance to step up for #3 RHD.

This, pretty much in the short term.  Maybe a long term solution comes of it.  You never know.

I think they haven't given up on Hamonic playing.  He may very well come to terms with his issues.  Waiving him is a pretty safe thing to do because nobody's going to bite on a $3M cap hit who isn't reporting and it gives them some cap relief.

Longer term, as I've posted elsewhere, I think Benning should be looking for opportunities to pick up right side help rather than trying to force the issue.  That would result in overpayment imo

• Vintage 1

Roster composition-wise, Hamonic was Hughes' partner.  This season the role falls to Poolman, and since OEL and Myers look like they can be the shutdown duo, I think replacement by committee is the way to go (OEL-Myers takes the tough pairings, and Hughes/ Poolman can also handle tough minutes).

In a sense it's addition by subtraction (Edler/ Schmidt weren't fitting well, so swap them out, get OEL who's still got some good years in him, also Poolman who can be a rebound candidate; in some perspectives Myers was our best defensive D-man last season so having him on the top pair should solidify it, and Hughes can also play minutes, though his focus should be on offense).

54 minutes ago, DeepThoughts said:

Has the ship really sailed? Dont think teams will be up for messing with their rosters right before the season. Free agents look bleak…

Hopefully we go the Tampa route - have too many skilled forwards - trade one of them akin to Drouin for someone like Sergachev, then be so good and so stable in our salary and team structure that we can bring in top level defenders to fill our defensive holes.

That's hoping.

Demers is the obvious UFA option if there's no concrete timeline on Hamonic

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Poolman

Rathbone, Demers

Hunt, Schenn

*Unless they feel there's someone suitable on waivers.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Demers is the obvious UFA option if there's no concrete timeline on Hamonic

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Poolman

Rathbone, Demers

Hunt, Schenn

Well demers wasn’t even good enough to eat some minutes in Arizona. Wasn’t he dropped to hlthe third pair then scratched a bunch?

and the fact he isn’t signed yet by any team or even a pto doesn’t look great.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Poolman

Rathbone - Juulsen

Schenn, Hunt

Not very good options on that 3rd pairing. 

I reckon it will probably be like when we had Stecher and they will only play 13-15 minutes tops. Maybe a bit less considering we usually had a vet like Fanta/Benn there.

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well demers wasn’t even good enough to eat some minutes in Arizona. Wasn’t he dropped to hlthe third pair then scratched a bunch?

and the fact he isn’t signed yet by any team or even a pto doesn’t look great.

Played 41 games last year of hard, near 60% dzone starts on a crappy team, PK time etc. 

He's exactly what we need playing +/-15 minutes a night and playing defense/PK. And a lot better than our other current options IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeepThoughts said:

Has the ship really sailed? Dont think teams will be up for messing with their rosters right before the season. Free agents look bleak…

Target Josh Manson and kick the tires.

1) Get Hamonic off the books via waivers + Hamonic failing to report to Abby.

2) Get Tyler Motte off the books.

Thats about 4.225 million in available cap space.  Manson is only 4.1 million with one year left.

The Canucks have drafted well enough to be able to afford to part ways with another 1st imo.  I know many will disagree, but we’ve drafted and developed at an elite level when you consider the fact that Horvat, Demko, Boeser, Pettersson, Rathbone, Hughes, Podkolzin, and Hoglander have all made this team.  Klimovich will likely be here in 1-2 seasons as well.   

OEL-Manson

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Myers

Is a solid Defense.

1 hour ago, DeepThoughts said:

That was a really deep thought lol. Sorry, couldn’t resist ::D