The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ideas for replacing Hamonic?

Rate this topic

DeepThoughts

On 10/13/2021 at 11:43 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Schenn's going to log some big minutes this season. Injuries will hit and most seasons we go through a stretch of 2 D-men down for about 20 games, that's where I'm worried well see Hunt or Bowey play big minutes.

Schenn playing big minutes means we are in big trouble. 

On 10/11/2021 at 3:15 PM, Patel Bure said:

Semi-serious question;

Anyway we can get Tryamkin to come back?  Break his KHL contract?  Move Motte for a pick which would give us about 4.225 million in cap space (Hamonic + Motte), and then try and convince Tryamkin to come here?

Tryamkin will never be a Canuck imo. If he was going to Canucks the  he would have signed in off season.

10 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Tryamkin will never be a Canuck imo. If he was going to Canucks the  he would have signed in off season.

Agreee that this is most likely the case.  My only line of thinking was that in the past, the dollars wouldn’t have added up in terms of what both parties were looking for.  Now that the Canucks are in a more desperate situation, maybe the Canucks have the cap room to make a higher offer?  That’s of course, if we can take Hamonic off the books but it doesn’t look like this will be the case anyways. 

Green didn't show our bottom pairing any trust against Edmonton. Sure, we were chasing the game in the 3rd period, but we can't continue like this - with our 3rd pairing playing 12 minutes a night, and only have them play more even minutes if we're winning or blowing out an opponent, because it's not going to happen much this season.

Rathbone as the 5th guy is reasonable but then we need someone safe to back him up and I don't think Burroughs is the right answer, I'd rather see how Schenn performs there as he's much more qualified and brings some much-needed toughness back to our defence. He can also kill some penalties quite well too.

12 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

Do we really need him? 

For now, yes we actually do.    Based on one game nothing to complain about.   So...if we can keep this up at least we have some cap space to fill a need in a trade as the season moves on.

• Cheers 1

I have an honest question and not looking to make Hamonic look bad. We don’t know what is going on in his personal life but I do know he signed a contract to play professional hockey. Are players under contract not supposed to show up to camp?  Why can’t they simply suspend him for breaking the contract and remove the dollars from the cap entirely. We are putting 1.8 million towards a dman that isn’t even playing on the AHL. No I’ll will towards the guy, but if you aren’t going to play then just opt out and be done with it. There were other options to sign in the off season and this does not sit well. Hoping he is able to play sooner than later as our right side D depth chart looks pretty rough. Burroughs looked ok against Edmonton but I doubt he, Schenn or Hunt are really ready for big minutes if anyone gets hurt. 

46 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I have an honest question and not looking to make Hamonic look bad. We don’t know what is going on in his personal life but I do know he signed a contract to play professional hockey. Are players under contract not supposed to show up to camp?  Why can’t they simply suspend him for breaking the contract and remove the dollars from the cap entirely. We are putting 1.8 million towards a dman that isn’t even playing on the AHL. No I’ll will towards the guy, but if you aren’t going to play then just opt out and be done with it. There were other options to sign in the off season and this does not sit well. Hoping he is able to play sooner than later as our right side D depth chart looks pretty rough. Burroughs looked ok against Edmonton but I doubt he, Schenn or Hunt are really ready for big minutes if anyone gets hurt. 

There is a legitimate reason he's out that no one knows. He's not suspended, nor is he in any trouble from the league. Him opting to play means he will return eventually. JB clearly knows what's going on and is defending him, that is all we need to know. If this was some sort of selfish move by him, I can't see JB telling us to leave him alone. I don't think selfishness is in his character anyways.

5 minutes ago, samchez said:

There is a legitimate reason he's out that no one knows. He's not suspended, nor is he in any trouble from the league. Him opting to play means he will return eventually. JB clearly knows what's going on and is defending him, that is all we need to know. If this was some sort of selfish move by him, I can't see JB telling us to leave him alone. I don't think selfishness is in his character anyways.

So your answer to my question is what exactly?  I didn’t call him selfish, and I didn’t doubt that he has a legitimate reason not to be playing. I don’t understand why he is still on the salary cap as he is clearly not playing. I know he is not suspended my question is why isn’t he?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

I'm of the opinion, and I think it makes the most sense, that the reason the Canucks can't suspend him is because they have asked him not to report to the AHL team. As for why they would do that, there's only one reason I can think of...

On 10/14/2021 at 3:36 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Green didn't show our bottom pairing any trust against Edmonton. Sure, we were chasing the game in the 3rd period, but we can't continue like this - with our 3rd pairing playing 12 minutes a night, and only have them play more even minutes if we're winning or blowing out an opponent, because it's not going to happen much this season.

Rathbone as the 5th guy is reasonable but then we need someone safe to back him up and I don't think Burroughs is the right answer, I'd rather see how Schenn performs there as he's much more qualified and brings some much-needed toughness back to our defence. He can also kill some penalties quite well too.

We also got our PP time which screwed the stats a little ... 5 correct?   Interesting to find out what the heck Green will do when OEL is in the box at least.   QHs didn't get any time, Rathbone got a tiny shift and then back to Poolman playing the wrong side. 

On 10/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, DeepThoughts said:

Yes, exactly. Thats why i am proposing trading one of them down the line here.

That would probably be Rathbone, not because I dislike the kid but rather, which of the three (Ekman-Larson, Hughes and Rathbone) would be the easiest to unload?

Chances are, such a deal would have to be done in the off season. Getting a reasonable return for Ekman-Larson would require far too much in screwing around, and then you have to dump his contract, and then there's his NMC which would be the first thing to consider. Hughes would potentially require a very serious return which might put a lot of teams off. and then there's his cap/term.

If the team wants to trade someone during this season, then it's likely Rathbone, who is an upcoming RFA and currently has a very team friendly contract, is playing bottom pairing minutes, has played a small amount of NHL games, and hasn't (as yet) shown a lot at the NHL level.

regards,  G.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:36 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

For now, the third pairing with Rathbone needs a cheap low event player and (for now) Burroughs fits the bill.

I’ll have to say that OEL-Myers has really impressed me so far.  I honestly wasn’t expecting this but this pairing has been quite defensively responsible.  I’m really liking what Myers is bringing to the table this season.

I also like the Rathbone-Burroughs pairing.  

It’s tough to say:  A few days to a week ago, I would have been scrambling to see what oTher RD options were out there.  Now? I’m not so sure.  Maybe see how things play out?

Jeremy Lauzon or Conor Timmins would have been my vote although the asking price for Timmins would likely be too high.