The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Season Opener: Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Wednesday, October 13th, 2021 @ 7:00pm PT | Sportsnet Pacific, SN650

Rate this topic

Roger Neilsons Towel

3 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Wasn’t Hoglander practicing on the 4th line too? Already in Greens doghouse?

Easily one of our most skilled/creative players and he’s not on the power play. Getting pretty tired of Green not utilizing his players properly and constantly getting outcoached. Remember Boeser as net front presence on the pp? :lol::picard:

So we lose Mac and Gadj and now are probably the softest team in the league. Good luck to Petey and Hughes playing a full season with the abuse they’re going to take. You would think with how small Hughes and Pettersson are you would try and toughen the team up a bit and get them some protection. 

Hoping Green gets canned early and Shaw takes over. 

Our best pre-season game was against the Oilers full team and it featured our smaller, faster options. We matched their pace and looked good. It's the future. 

The dinosaurs didn't go extinct because of a sudden impact. They were big, slow and too unskilled to stickhandle their way through a changing world. Quick minds, hands and feet work best with others moving at the same speed. That's the message I got with the waiver losses and roster choices, and it's what I saw in that game against the Oilers. They looked so good I almost wished they would go with that lineup. 

By the way, what do you think McDavid said to Lockwood? I have to admit it was pretty cool the way he delivered the message, whatever it was. I think he told him to lay off their stars, otherwise our stars would pay the price. That's okay, let vets and name players lean on other stars. It's kind of the unwritten rule anyway and subracts any need for enforcers. They just escalate things in the wrong direction. 

Let the players play. I think that's the way the league is evolving, or trying to. I wish it was like that when Mogilny was here

Edited by frank einstein
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

So winning a FO isn't important? Can't score if you don't have possession. Cuz gaining entry is so easy?

Man a lot of really terrible takes without one shred of evidence that it won't work.

How many times does PP#2 start the PP?

They change lines around one minute mark after the puck gets cleared.

If PP#2 is going to start the powerplay more often, then move Horvat or Miller there because the point would be to give PP#2 about a minute.

PP1:

Boeser (Chiasson)-Horvat-EP

Hughes-OEL

PP2:

Garland-Miller-Hoglander

Rathbone-Myers

2 minutes ago, EliasBoeser said:

Garland should be with Petey and Miller

and Hoglander should be with Pearson and Horvat.. isn’t this &^@#ing obvious??

Or just put Hoglander with Petey and Miller?

I personally want to see Garland with Bo. Been waiting all preseason for it

• Cheers 4

29 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Who's gonna back peddle? Ofcourse I want us to win even if that means Highmore, Dowling score. 

We are still Canucks fans. 

Hell, if Dowling, Chiasson and Highmore become integral part of our team and we have playoff success (western finals) with them on the roster, I'll donate 500 to Canucks place. 

I’ll match 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 10:25 AM, Slegr said:

I’m excited but not feeling overly confident, looking at our line-up. We need some injuries to heal.

You just know the refs will be dishing out a ton of cross checking penalties to Myers and company the moment they so much as touch McWhiner.

I hope team chemistry starts to appear. There wasn’t much sign in preseason. 
Go Canucks!

When Highmore is on 3rd line, Dowling playing on 4th line and Chiasson is on 1st line, it doesnt make me too confident. Why is Podkolzin on 4th and Hoglander on 3rd line? They should stack up the top 6 because rolling 4 lines doesnt work when Boeser, Motte and Sutter are missing.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Chaisson on the second line? Am I missing something? Why do they always have to do the opposite of the obvious?

Funny thing is all tbose additions in off season and we still end up with Chiasson on 1st line and Highmore on 3rd line. And the only significant player missing is Boeser. Not sure why Podkolzin is on 4th line? Is Benning going to waive Podkolzin?

26 minutes ago, EliasBoeser said:

Garland should be with Petey and Miller

and Hoglander should be with Pearson and Horvat.. isn’t this &^@#ing obvious??

Gives us no scoring threat on our third line.

Once Boeser is back our top 9 will look much better.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Gives us no scoring threat on our third line.

Once Boeser is back our top 9 will look much better.

Well we dont have the depth with the injuries to have 3rd scoring line. Spliting up the lines to spread the scoring was ineffective during preseason, I doubt it will be effective in regular season. Not to mention breaking up the Horvat line and putting a slow Chiasson with Petersson is not that great. Instead of 2 scoring lines we might not even have 1 if they dont connect or have chemistry. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Funny thing is all tbose additions in off season and we still end up with Chiasson on 1st line and Highmore on 3rd line. And the only significant player missing is Boeser. Not sure why Podkolzin is on 4th line? Is Benning going to waive Podkolzin?

If I recall correctly, Boeser started his career as a healthy scratch the first few games in 2017-18.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Well we dont have the depth with the injuries to have 3rd scoring line. Spliting up the lines to spread the scoring was ineffective during preseason, I doubt it will be effective in regular season. Not to mention breaking up the Horvat line and putting a slow Chiasson with Petersson is not that great. Instead of 2 scoring lines we might not even have 1 if they dont connect or have chemistry. 

We also need someone to screen Smith. That was clearly a problem in preseason.

Chiasson can at least provide that for that line.

The top two line still have enough scoring in them. That third line would look even more  awful with Highmore, Dickinson, and Chiasson. 

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Which was pretty pointless and unnecessary. 

Agreed, but it all worked out in the end and he was put in a role to succeed. Not justifying the decision, but making a point that Green didn't permanently scratch Boeser. I would be surprised if Podkolzkin doesn't get a chance on a PP or middle six unit at some point. Hopefully, he grabs the opportunity when it comes.