The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack MacEwen, C.J. Suess

20 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

Same I was just wondering who would step up If players are taking liberties with our young players.

Team toughness is more important than just actual physical size (although that does help).

If Hughes get run at... Horvat shouldn't be afraid to clobber someone with a big hit, same with JT Miller or Myers.  

At the same time, Hoglander, Petersson shouldn't be afraid to throw some elbows or whack a few ankles if they see the opposition taking liberty on their teammates.  

A honey badger is a small, but there's a reason bears don't mess with them.  The Canucks need to be like a badger.  

1 hour ago, tas said:

I've been trying for 5 minutes now to come up with a dr. suess-style rhyme to make a joke about that guy getting waived but I got nothin'.

CJ Suess thought he was Dr.Suess and overplayed his bets. So he was laid off from Cheveldayoff and is no longer on the Jets! 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

No surprise on Mac. he isn’t a veteran plug that couldn’t crack other nhl teams at 29-31 years old he plays physical, stands up for himself and his team mates and he was one of our own drafted and developed players so basically all things green hates. 

Edited by combover
  • Wat 1

29 minutes ago, combover said:

No surprise on Mac. he isn’t a veteran plug that couldn’t crack other nhl teams at 29-31 years old he plays physical, stands up for himself and his team mates and he was one of our own drafted and developed players so basically all things green hates. 

Was That Wrong Gif - IceGif

Zack MacEwen
Born July 8, 1996 (age 25)
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Height 6 ft 3 in (191 cm)
Weight 205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)
Position Centre/Winger
Shoots Right
NHL team Vancouver Canucks
NHL Draft Undrafted
Playing career 2017–present

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Was That Wrong Gif - IceGif

Fair enough but did we develop him snd he was part of our farm system that seems to be unable to turn out any nhlers. 

The fact we didn’t draft him  makes it worse I though we had atleast one depth nhl player drafted in the last 7 seasons. 
Great at drafting not so much apparently and even worse at development. . 
Thanks for help prove it. 

• Wat 1

16 minutes ago, combover said:

Fair enough but did we develop him snd he was part of our farm system that seems to be unable to turn out any nhlers. 

The fact we didn’t draft him  makes it worse I though we had atleast one depth nhl player drafted in the last 7 seasons. 
Great at drafting not so much apparently and even worse at development. . 
Thanks for help prove it. 

You must be real fun at parties. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tas said:

I've been trying for 5 minutes now to come up with a dr. suess-style rhyme to make a joke about that guy getting waived but I got nothin'.

Well, if it turns out Suess has nothin goin at the professional hockey level at least he'll have his doctor's practice to fall back on 

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Team toughness is more important than just actual physical size (although that does help).

If Hughes get run at... Horvat shouldn't be afraid to clobber someone with a big hit, same with JT Miller or Myers.  

At the same time, Hoglander, Petersson shouldn't be afraid to throw some elbows or whack a few ankles if they see the opposition taking liberty on their teammates.  

A honey badger is a small, but there's a reason bears don't mess with them.  The Canucks need to be like a badger.  

You’re asking the wrong people to play an aspect of the game that is not in their own nature or wheelhouse.That will only get those players into trouble. 

You really want to risk Petey’s value to the team by letting him engage in a slash fest with some other teams’s 3rd or 4th liner? I don’t.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

I think they need to take a different approach here. By all means, step up and protect a player like Hoglander, but the retaliation needs to be trying to physically hurt a player like Wheeler. You come after our second liners, we're gonna go after your premiere players. A slash, a high stick, a slew foot... when you aren't big enough to play big, you play dirty. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You’re asking the wrong people to play an aspect of the game that is not in their own nature or wheelhouse.That will only get those players into trouble. 

You really want to risk Petey’s value to the team by letting him engage in a slash fest with some other teams’s 3rd or 4th liner? I doubt it.

You just target their stars.  

Kassian takes a run at Hughes.... you have Horvat take a chop at McDavid.  Have Petersson "accidentally on purpose" crash into Mike Smith when driving to the net.  

I think it was Ferraro that said once you start targeting the star players, the star players will tell their role players to ease off.  

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

You just target their stars.  

Kassian takes a run at Hughes.... you have Horvat take a chop at McDavid.  Have Petersson "accidentally on purpose" crash into Mike Smith when driving to the net.  

I think it was Ferraro that said once you start targeting the star players, the star players will tell their role players to ease off.  

The only problem with that is it disintegrates the understood and unwritten rule which is you don’t physically target the star players. Once someone takes a run at Petey and you allow him to retaliate, it then open the door for others to do the same

to him in the future. It establishes exposure and the respect for the code is eroded.

This is why I keep contending that we need one solid 4th line guy who can still keep up with the play and be an imposing presence, that also takes no $h!t from anyone and will defend at the drop of a hat.

I hate to say it, but a guy like Lucic (minus the contract) is exactly what this team could use considering we still lack a bit of edge combined with size and resiliency in the top 9.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I liked him, but he was a bit disappointing in this pre-season. It's hard to take on additional players at this time of year for any team, so there's a chance he passes through. He also didn't really score at all last year.

Chiasson outperformed him in the pre-season. Hopefully he can be serviceable during the regular season as well.

If we had people continuously stepping up to protect the Sedins and the group as a whole during our cup run we maybe might have taken that game 7 with BOS.

To that point, if the Sedins were allowed to retaliate to those antics it would have taken them off their game and only encouraged more attention against them.

I was at that series. Marchand had his way with the twins, disrespected and insulted the team, and no one did a damn thing about it. Too beat up. Still makes me ill.

I wish I was a 4th line plug at that time because I would’ve gladly accepted and celebrated a no-pay suspension from taking him out myself, hah

• Upvote 1