The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack MacEwen, C.J. Suess

Days and news like this just ticks me off even more that Ferland couldn't stay healthy. We had a power forward, we had a good one. Canucks luck he ends his career here. Cheers to Ferland and my grief pales to his health and I hope he has a successful life after hockey. Just wish he was on this team banging bodies like he did. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Really don't think Zach breaks the camel's back tbh

We are a soft team with him on the team and without him? Imagine the oilers sign him

and we have Kassian AND Zach Mac beating the shyt out of Boeser and Petey. 

Who would stop them? Myers? The fanbase is so awful to Myers I would never hit

another player ever if I were Myers... like ever, the way people shyt on him. We 

will be exposed at some point for our choices to be a soft skilled team. It has 

been the ire of Canucks fans since forever and looks like it will continue to be.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shirotashi said:

We are a soft team with him on the team and without him? Imagine the oilers sign him

and we have Kassian AND Zach Mac beating the shyt out of Boeser and Petey. 

Who would stop them? Myers? The fanbase is so awful to Myers I would never hit

another player ever if I were Myers... like ever, the way people shyt on him. We 

will be exposed at some point for our choices to be a soft skilled team. It has 

been the ire of Canucks fans since forever and looks like it will continue to be.

Mac can barely be trusted for a few minutes of TOI. He's not gonna provide much preventive protection.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bye bye Big Mac.  He will 100% get claimed.  Big, tough, skates well, and is an NHL player.  More than one team will put in a claim on him.  

Yet we need the toughness. Go figure. I have a bald spot now from all the head scratching so far this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Zack isn’t really the toughness we need. He can hold his own in a fight but that’s all he’s capable of doing. 

New age toughness can actually play hockey and be tough when called upon. 

We need any bit of toughness, so I don't agree.  We're easy to play against and so that needs to change.  Teams will take note of Kass leaving the ice as he did after challenging Mac (not good, so I hate that to be the example).   One guy isn't afraid to go and that matters to me.

He did not have a great camp but I feel his fearlessness was something that helps build against the "soft" team label we've got.  Not the toughest, but willing to go.  Gotta start somewhere with that.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

We need any bit of toughness, so I don't agree.  We're easy to play against and so that needs to change.  Teams will take note of Kass leaving the ice as he did after challenging Mac (not good, so I hate that to be the example).   One guy isn't afraid to go and that matters to me.

He did not have a great camp but I feel his fearlessness was something that helps build against the "soft" team label we've got.  Not the toughest, but willing to go.  Gotta start somewhere with that.

he's a bad fighter who doesn't intimidate anyone and can't play hockey. hopefully played his last game with the big club. 

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bye bye Big Mac.  He will 100% get claimed.  Big, tough, skates well, and is an NHL player.  More than one team will put in a claim on him.  

I hope he gets claimed.  Then we won’t have to have him taking up a spot on the bench.  

But he won’t get claimed, because he is a horrible hockey player.  
I’m sure he is a nice guy, and he is great at receiving punches to his face, but he is pretty well useless.  
Can’t play at an NHL level and loses most of his fights.    

24 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

We barely feel it because he isn’t good enough to warrant more than 4-6 minutes a game at the NHL level. The impact he makes is close to nil. Oilers were still targeting Lockwood and others in throughout the entire game with no response even with Mac. 

Kass hit his head on the ice so I am not sure that’s the best example considering it was more of an accident than anything. 

We got to start somewhere but even with Mac we’re pretty much not any different, just more of the same. 

51 minutes ago, tas said:

am I reading this right that he's on a two-way deal where the ahl salary is higher than the NHL salary? is that a first?

No.  His salary is also 950K in the NHL.  The 825K (not 875K) is the contract's AAV.  He was on a 2 year deal - 700K last season and 950K this season per CapFriendly.

There's no escrow in the AHL - so he saves the 17.2% he would have otherwise paid for escrow.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

No.  His salary is also 950K in the NHL.  The 825K (not 875K) is the contract's AAV.  He was on a 2 year deal - 700K last season and 950K this season per CapFriendly.

There's no escrow in the AHL - so he saves the 17.2% he would have otherwise paid for escrow.

that makes more sense. thanks. 

Being a tough team to play against is a real weakness of the Canucks and has been for over a decade.

The “play for the PP” approach started by AV and continued by both Desjardins and Green leaves far too much control in the hands of the refs (Torts tried to make a roster incapable of it tough to play against but it didn’t work).

Until this team has leadership - management, coaching, and on the ice - that values a team sticking up for each other, even if they aren’t the toughest, we won’t see any change in being the most easily intimidated and bullied team in the NHL. Mac would not change that. It’s the culture.

• Cheers 1