The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] How many points will Petey score in the 2021-2022 NHL season?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

How many points will Petey score in the 2021-2022 NHL season?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some pretty optimistic people here. I'm gonna say 70-75 points, assuming he stays healthy, and that might be generous. He's coming off an injury that could affect his shot and he's missed all of training camp and most of the preseason.

I see absolutely no reason why his PPG average would drastically improve. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

Year four...typically the "break-out" year. So far as long as he's a PPG player, and plays 68-70 games we have good value on his contract.    Feel a break-out is inevitable ... and it this year is as good as any but it might take another couple of seasons.   If Miller is used as a C then a PPG is even better value which is still progression.  Think the 100 point season is coming, but not yet.   That said anything from 66-90 points wouldn't be a surprise ... 66 points given a full season we have yet to see from him. 

Voted 66-70 I used to think Petey would be a PPG + player, he's lowered my expectations considerable since his rookie year.  I really hope he can raise them again but he's going into his 4th year and his rookie campaign is still his most impressive.

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, thrago said:

Voted 66-70 I used to think Petey would be a PPG + player, he's lowered my expectations considerable since his rookie year.  I really hope he can raise them again but he's going into his 4th year and his rookie campaign is still his most impressive.

That's understandable...personally think that his potential allows for a break out...i don't think he's Selanne or Gomez, as in former hockey players that had their best season the first one.   Or that's he's as good as Selanne was either.    That said he's way too young to not have a better season then that.   Odds are way way too high, like 99/100 or so, that players don't have their best season out of the hop.    Do think if Miller plays C and goes for three lines, that if he hits the PPG mark that's an improvement, and what i'm predicting as well.    And it's the right thing to do for the team. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's understandable...personally think that his potential allows for a break out...i don't think he's Selanne or Gomez, as in former hockey players that had their best season the first one.   Or that's he's as good as Selanne was either.    That said he's way too young to not have a better season then that.   Odds are way way too high, like 99/100 or so, that players don't have their best season out of the hop.    Do think if Miller plays C and goes for three lines, that if he hits the PPG mark that's an improvement, and what i'm predicting as well.    And it's the right thing to do for the team. 

I hope your right, to me it seems he's lost the drive he had in his rookie season, the skill and the potential is still there but the desire to prove it to the world seems to have faded.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'm expecting a huge year for him. Somewhere in the 90 range but I wouldn't even be surprised if he eclipsed 100. We often forget how special of a player he is.

I second this - although his linemates will have a lot to do with it. As great as Miller has been for us, I'm not sure he will ever replicate his 19-20 season. Then there's the question of when Brock will be back, and if he can produce right away. 

If all the stars align, I agree with your statement and I'm hopeful you are in the right ballpark. Otherwise, I expect a minimum of a point per game. 

In any event, I voted 86-90.

Edited by kloubek

23 minutes ago, thrago said:

I hope your right, to me it seems he's lost the drive he had in his rookie season, the skill and the potential is still there but the desire to prove it to the world seems to have faded.

I think he's got lots of drive, just that the rest of the league caught up fast and plays him a lot harder and with a lot more attention - same with Quin Hughes.    Not as easy playing against the best in the world ... i think as he gets stronger he will get better - and that he will get better anyways.   Look at Marchand.   Also the Sedins.  And Naslund for that matter, was 27 when he broke out ... the Sedins 26ish and then peaked at 30.   EP had plenty of time to improve, if he just stays like he is, .93 PPG despite being snake bitten with posts last year ... he's just fine too. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think he's got lots of drive, just that the rest of the league caught up fast and plays him a lot harder and with a lot more attention - same with Quin Hughes.    Not as easy playing against the best in the world ... i think as he gets stronger he will get better - and that he will get better anyways.   Look at Marchand.   Also the Sedins.  And Naslund for that matter, was 27 when he broke out ... the Sedins 26ish and then peaked at 30.   EP had plenty of time to improve, if he just stays like he is, .93 PPG despite being snake bitten with posts last year ... he's just fine too. 

Playing defense is a completely different beast than forward.  

Hughes is small framed.  He doesnt have the physical makeup to defend at this level.  

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Pettersson missed most of last season and missed training camp. I say he gets off on a slow start but picks it up later in the season where he tears it up so 71 to 75 pts.

Thats no excuse for a professional player making that much.  Youll never see elite players using that excuse yet we love making it for all our guys.