The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Official) - It's Back, the Magic Number Chart - 2021-2022 NHL Season

Rate this topic

cleowin

2 hours ago, cleowin said:

Magic # Chart has been updated for April 18th! The Canucks now control their destiny for the 3rd seed in the pacific! they need to go 5-1-0 to make the playoffs.

Wait... how can they afford to lose a game?  If VGK wins all their games, they have 97 points.  If the Canucks only win 5 games, that gives them 96 points?

46 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wait... how can they afford to lose a game?  If VGK wins all their games, they have 97 points.  If the Canucks only win 5 games, that gives them 96 points?

it's based on point pace, not max points. It's unlikely that any one team will win out at any given point in the season, even the canucks are only on pace for 93 points, which by nature would not get them in the playoffs.

LA is on pace for 96 points, Vegas is on pace for 93 points. Vancouver has the tiebreaker over LA and will by point pace get in with 96 points, hence 5-1-0.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RolexSub said:

LA has an easier schedule than we do so the odds are heavily against us.  

I used to think that, but lately I'm realizing the top teams play it easy down the final stretch, and those non-playoff teams full of young stars play as hard as they usually would.  That's the only way I can rationalize how teams like Tampa, Calgary, and others have been crapping the bed for us lately.

Not updating the chart today but canucks need to go 5-0-0 to make the playoffs now. Not looking good. gotta sweep the final 5 games. Might be possible if Minnesota is taking it easy down the stretch and calgary is clearly.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1