The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flyers claim Zack MacEwen off waivers

8 hours ago, combover said:

Nope we waived a big physical 4th liner that knows his roll stands up for his team mates and energized  his teammates and fans with big hits.

guess how many guys we have on our team that do any of those things….zero

Our identity is  fun to play against because we have nobody that’s hard to play against. 

He might be a fringe nhler but doweling chiasson highmore aren’t nhlers. 

you think the flyers would take any or all of those three for him , only an idiot would… oh wait.  

We are fun to play against because because other players see us as a chance to increase their own stats and some points for personal stats.  

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Lammiko is fortunate that Green is taking so much heat on here. Otherwise he would have been fitted  with a lovely whipping boy costume by now. He sure doesn't contribute much. 

Man I would jettison Lamb Green Highmore Petan

Keep Gadj Mac OJ

So fast. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Keep Gadj Mac OJ

So fast. 

Petan, Lam and most definitely Green I am down with. Then I'd add Chaisson. Highmore was decent enough until hurt. Letting Gadj/Mac go for Petan and Chaisson looks terrible now. Hell it looked bad to me then. 

Sadly Olli has been injured too many times and it has hurt is progress. Ideally if he wasn't I'd have loved him over Bailey or Hunt but I am taking Burroughs over him. I understand trying to get something rather than have him claimed. In the end this was a bad draft pick choice. He had a history of being hurt already. 

54 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Keep Gadj Mac OJ

So fast. 

I'm fine with most of that except I think it was time for OJ to move on. If he stays in the NHL long term then good on him as then clearly he will have worked extra hard to get and retain that job from being injured so much. However, that's also the problem with us keeping him: it would be based on that small chance that this actually happens.

On 11/26/2021 at 1:48 PM, The Lock said:

I'm fine with most of that except I think it was time for OJ to move on. If he stays in the NHL long term then good on him as then clearly he will have worked extra hard to get and retain that job from being injured so much. However, that's also the problem with us keeping him: it would be based on that small chance that this actually happens.

Could have easily kept OJ gad and mac

no need for hunt doweling chiasson 

none of the three we lost could do any worse or be less effective than the guys we kept. 
Zero upside for any of the three we kept while the others could still become something. 
Our current Bottom three are terrible no hitting no toughness no nothing. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, combover said:

Could have easily kept OJ gad and mac

no need for hunt doweling chiasson 

none of the three we lost could do any worse or be less effective than the guys we kept. 
Zero upside for any of the three we kept while the others could still become something. 
Our current Bottom three are terrible no hitting no toughness no nothing. 

If we even assumed what you are saying is true), an injured OJ is not going to fix any of that. Even when he is not injured, we could even look at basic stats.

You want hits? If we compare Juolevi's hits per 60 minutes last year and Chiasson's hits per this year, Chiasson does almost double the hits of Juolevi while the other 2 you mentioned are similar to Juolevi. Now I'm not here to defend Chiasson, but if keeping Juolevi's your answer to hitting and toughness, then I'd say you're treating our toughness about equal to how Benning's treating our toughness. Who knows, maybe you are Benning. lol

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If we even assumed what you are saying is true), an injured OJ is not going to fix any of that. Even when he is not injured, we could even look at basic stats.

You want hits? If we compare Juolevi's hits per 60 minutes last year and Chiasson's hits per this year, Chiasson does almost double the hits of Juolevi while the other 2 you mentioned are similar to Juolevi. Now I'm not here to defend Chiasson, but if keeping Juolevi's your answer to hitting and toughness, then I'd say you're treating our toughness about equal to how Benning's treating our toughness. Who knows, maybe you are Benning. lol

Hunt to oj 

gad Mac to chaisson doweling 

Agreed oj  was never a hitting dman but why toss away a guy that the club had invested so much in favour of brad hunt a proven useless dman. 
rathbone didn’t need waivers oj could have stayed played limited minutes just like hunt.

Ojs value wasnt going to get much lower but it could have gone up. 

im definitely not Benning  I have more self respect and integrity  than to become someone’s lapdog yesman pet. 

12 minutes ago, combover said:

Hunt to oj 

Agreed oj  was never a hitting dman but why toss away a guy that the club had invested so much in favour of brad hunt a proven useless dman. 
rathbone didn’t need waivers oj could have stayed played limited minutes just like hunt.

im definitely not Benning  I have more self respect and integrity  than to become someone’s lapdog yesman pet. 

Juolevi slammed Tkachuk to the ice in his last game as a Canuck against the Flames. 

He is a solid defenseman that Green was too stubborn to use properly. Green blew it with Juolevi, Gadjovich, and MacEwen. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Juolevi slammed Tkachuk to the ice in his last game as a Canuck against the Flames. 

He is a solid defenseman that Green was too stubborn to use properly. Green blew it with Juolevi, Gadjovich, and MacEwen. 

Don't stop there. He's prevented Boeser and Petey from developing, both are worse players now than they were as rookies. Horvat hasn't improved, and Hughes still sucks in his own zone, but hasn't regressed yet.

• Cheers 1

On 11/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Ohh snap!! 

But here:

Machete don't hit. 

I am sure there are some ChaseOn highlights out there - is there atleast one with the Canucks ?

Really disappointed we lost both Gadj & Mac - for nothing cause both were (very) hungry to make the club.  Anyways, Green made up his mind and ChaseOn was HIS choice.

Slalom Pylon GIF by Dudek Paragliders

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I am sure there are some ChaseOn highlights out there - is there atleast one with the Canucks ?

On here his biggest highlight will be on the news when he is released

Actually the whole team has played so bad, i don't see him any different than between our highest paid and lowest paid (except for a handful) :(

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, combover said:

Hunt to oj 

Because there's a point in time when there is a time to move on. Look at how Virtanen went. We invested so much into him as well and probably could have got something for him at some point, but we held onto him. There's basically a point in time where it needs to be assessed when to move on from a player and I'm glad we were able to move on from Juolevi, because with Virtanen we got nothing for him.

And if you think OJ's value wouldn't have got lower, think again. There comes a point in time with any player that, if it really doesn't look like they're going to make it, they end up not being worth much of anything. So yes, his value absolutely could lower to pretty much nothing.

Edited by The Lock

12 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Really disappointed we lost both Gadj & Mac - for nothing cause both were (very) hungry to make the club.  Anyways, Green made up his mind and ChaseOn was HIS choice.

Slalom Pylon GIF by Dudek Paragliders

Gadjovich, Lind, Mac, OJ and Jasek in Europe. Talk about gutting the prospect pool. I was hoping at least 2 of these players would be on the roster full time this year. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Gadjovich, Lind, Mac, OJ and Jasek in Europe. Talk about gutting the prospect pool. I was hoping at least 2 of these players would be on the roster full time this year. 

Green is all about personnel; rather than, adjusting his system to the roster.

All those young players, were hungry to make the club and there production would be no different from what the waiver plugs would had offered.  Anyways, Green had made up his mind to go with the waiver plugs.

None of these guys people are complaining about losing are doing anything on their new teams either... I think a lot of us keyboard GM's forget we are not actually there dealing with these players in a development setting, it is fairly telling when the professionals move on from someone, and the player moves on and performs at the same low tier level. Maybe the guys paid for their hockey development chops are actually right? And we do not know anything beyond what we see on the ice... Maybe they wanted to get another shot elsewhere and Benning made it happen out of respect? Maybe they lack the mental toughness? Were they upset with their spot? Who knows...

Not that I agree any of the replacements are much better... losing upside sucks, but keep in mind there may not have actually been any upside, too easy from the outside looking in... A lot of players look promising but never actually put it all together on the ice in the NHL.

All that being said... Zack could have been a decent 4th line banger. Too bad but not the end of the world in the big scheme of things.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:49 AM, sassbs said:

We are fun to play against because because other players see us as a chance to increase their own stats and some points for personal stats.  

except, other than pk, their defense has been relatively ok.