The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flyers claim Zack MacEwen off waivers

2 things here;

successful teams lose players because of depth. I'm glad we have that problem and not the problems we had 4 years ago 

MacEwen became very underrated during this training camp. He was a terrific 4th liner / 13th forward, young, strong, and could actually keep up with the play. We will miss him I'm sure. 

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

Not really a great player and certainly not a huge loss but you just know that if $&!# hits the fan for us this season, the GM will be citing this, Gadjovich, and Lind as "hits to the depth" like he always does.

When you say "hits to the depth", I can only assume at this point you mean cheap shots and body checks to our players where this roster has zero ability to push back. 

Really like this player, and hope he succeeds in Philly.  I see him having to bop with a couple heavy hitters in that division and don't know if he's up to that challenge.  

If he can handle himself against Reeves and the idiot from Washington, then he will have a long career.  If not, then he's done.  

Green should've waived Macewen first before Gadj. If we're gonna lose Gadj who was a good player - showed much better than Macewen, then so be it. If Mac had cleared, then we would have been stuck with him in the AHL.

I'm not really on the 'toughness' train, but it's hard to argue that these roster decisions by Green are solid. We do lack toughness in the lineup. The fact that Chiasson got a spot instead of Gadj speaks volumes about Green's doghouse.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

Fighting has a place, albeit a much smaller place than it used to, but if you're going to be more than a fringe bottom six guy you're going to need to either be part of special teams or produce complimentary offense. Zack did neither of those things last season. If we want players who can come up to forecheck and hit we've got players who can do that. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

When you say "hits to the depth", I can only assume at this point you mean cheap shots and body checks to our players where this roster has zero ability to push back. 

No, I mean that if we happen to be in a losing position at a crucial point of the season where playoffs are in jeopardy, he'll start citing injuries and lack of depth (i.e losing these players) as excuses.