The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flyers claim Zack MacEwen off waivers

Love his truculence, but 2 points in 34 games isn't good enough for even a 4th liner. Add a mediocre pre-season on top of that and I'm not devastated, though I will miss him a bit. He was a likable guy and probably our best fighter.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I suppose that depends on how you define toughness. Is it being hard on the forecheck? Because we can do that when healthy. Is it getting into scrums and doing the hugging/pushing thing after a whistle? Because most teams engage in that. Is it hitting? Because we did that last season. 

Could we have a "rougher" collection of players? Yeah, we could, but management has clearly taken this team in more of a skill direction. Most teams aren't built like Tampa was last season, and Philly's always had a thing for fighters. I don't have answers for you, and we won't know what we have on the ice til the team starts playing games. 

Modern toughness to me is in pushback. Some games are just tough to play and you need pushback. Between Coach Ghandi and all existing roster we lose those games. It will become even more "the way to play us ". Time will tell Coc. I hope I'm wrong. 

• Cheers 2

I'm looking at it from a different perspective - had MacEwen cleared waivers, he would be yet another candidate for a top 6 role in Abbotsford. That would decrease the chance of Klimovich playing in that top 6 role, hence increasing his chances of being sent to Q. If you ask me, I'd rather have Klimovich than MacEwen in top 6 in Abbostford :-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RomanP said:

I'm looking at it from a different perspective - had MacEwen cleared waivers, he would be yet another candidate for a top 6 role in Abbotsford. That would decrease the chance of Klimovich playing in that top 6 role, hence increasing his chances of being sent to Q. If you ask me, I'd rather have Klimovich than MacEwen in top 6 in Abbostford :-)

I like your thinking! I'm not concerned about him being waived, the Canucks gave him a legitimate chance and he didn't really move the needle on winning more games. There wasn't much shown in pre-season that he had substantially improved. With that being said, why aren't more of our bottom six guys being trained for the PK on our farm team? A guy like him and Gadjovich should be since they aren't getting top offensive minutes anyways. 

Happy for him hope he gets a real chance something he was never going to get under Benning and green who prefer other teams recycled veteran plugs. 

the veteran plug love that’s been the driving force behind teams terrible record over the past 7 seasons. 
Nucks are going to get flat abused every game and the injuries will pile up. 
our group of small forwards and zero physicality will once again be on full display. 
can’t draft,can’t develop, can’t build. 
fire Benning 
Fire green 

Edited by combover
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its almost like other teams value toughness....

Or, just maybe, they have a weaker cast playing ahead of them than we do.  Other GMs are paying a huge tribute fo JB by grabbing his castoffs before they hit the floor 

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Happy for him hope he gets a real chance something he was never going to get under Benning and green who prefer other teams recycled veteran plugs. 

the veteran plug love that’s been the driving force behind teams terrible record over the past 7 seasons. 
can’t draft,can’t develop, can’t build. 
fire Benning 
Fire green 

He was given 34 games last year and could only muster 2 points. He looked even worse this preseason the last season. He had plenty of chances and after a disappointing season it was his job to come in and force his way on to the team. He didn't so that.

Some people's management hatred cloud their judgement. This is a prime example.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LeanBeef said:

Kinda reminds me of when we lost Volpatti to the caps via waivers.

Solid fighter but it’s unfortunate he couldn’t come up with a better preseason... Looked great two years ago... 

I guess Bo is our best fighter now :( 

I'd bet Myers would do okay in fights just due to size. Chiasson has also had 10 career fights so far and is 6'4", 208 lbs, so he might be a decent fighter too. Miller has fought twice as a Canuck and I figure he's not too bad at it.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Modern toughness to me is in pushback. Some games are just tough to play and you need pushback. Between Coach Ghandi and all existing roster we lose those games. It will become even more "the way to play us ". Time will tell Coc. I hope I'm wrong. 

See, I def agree with you on pushback and coaching. Particularly regarding coaching, because what the coach wants dictates a lot of how players engage on the ice. Management and coaching have a lot to do with deciding the culture of the team, they players def do as well, but coaching matters. 

I agree we could def use a little more sandpaper, Hamonic being out def doesn't help us there. Neither does Motte, though his sandpaper is more heart than agitating. I'd like to see more of it incorporated into our D. If we had Hamonic to go with Schenn and Myers it'd probably be enough. We could probably use one more forward who brings more of that game consistently instead of a Petan or Dowling, but we'll see what Lammikko brings. 

• Cheers 2

Philadelphia eh? The Metro is a tough division, you’ve got Reaves on the Rangers, Matt Martin (not sure he’s that tough but he sure is willing) on the Islanders not to mention the Time Bomb (Tom Wilson in case you didn’t know) on the Capitals! Zach’s knuckles may have a long year!! Wish the guy nothing but the best...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

See, I def agree with you on pushback and coaching. Particularly regarding coaching, because what the coach wants dictates a lot of how players engage on the ice. Management and coaching have a lot to do with deciding the culture of the team, they players def do as well, but coaching matters. 

I agree we could def use a little more sandpaper, Hamonic being out def doesn't help us there. Neither does Motte, though his sandpaper is more heart than agitating. I'd like to see more of it incorporated into our D. If we had Hamonic to go with Schenn and Myers it'd probably be enough. We could probably use one more forward who brings more of that game consistently instead of a Petan or Dowling, but we'll see what Lammikko brings. 

This team needs a Ferland. It's a dam shame. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

He was given 34 games last year and could only muster 2 points. He looked even worse this preseason the last season. He had plenty of chances and after a disappointing season it was his job to come in and force his way on to the team. He didn't so that.

Some people's management hatred cloud their judgement. This is a prime example.

34 game how much ice time 5 minutes lol. 
he stood up for his teammates he hit he fought and was physical sounds like a fourth liner to me instead we have highmore who’s is the exact opposite. 
Jb signed something like 15 new players this summer does that sound like a gm that’s drafted well,  develop well or built anything. 

should look and compare others that got the same ice time In The very  limited 4th line roll and  see just how he really was. 

Doweling 5’10” 31 - 27gp 5 pts  a downgrade over Mac. 
Team tiny is going be crying about the refs when every team just runs over our players and we nobody that can do anything and the injuries pile up same as it’s been for a decade. 
soft easy to play against has been the team identity Jb/ green have built and that’s all they’ve built besides Ill will from fans and players. (Schmidt was real happy) 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Philadelphia eh? The Metro is a tough division, you’ve got Reaves on the Rangers, Matt Martin (not sure he’s that tough but he sure is willing) on the Islanders not to mention the Time Bomb (Tom Wilson in case you didn’t know) on the Capitals! Zach’s knuckles may have a long year!! Wish the guy nothing but the best...

Gotta admit. Mac will look great in that classic Philly jersey. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1