The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Dennis Cholowski

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I doubt Green will have Cholowski claimed. Green spent all preseason overplaying Rathbone, while ignoring his defensive lapses. Rathbone should be in the AHL for development time and can be recalled later if need be. No need to bury him in the press box where he doesn't get playing time.

It depends on what assignment they had and were looking at.

his defensive lapses are well known, however I think they were looking at how well he could QB a play, how well he could make the transitions and outlets at a higher level.

comparing this to the dog house juolevi was in isn’t comparing apples with apples as one is known to need work on the defensive aspect, the other is supposed to be a defensive first type player. 

I like rathbones game and think he has a good future ahead of him, but hopefully he starts the season in Abbotsford as top pairing and PP QB player and also works in his defensive assignments. 

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

It depends on what assignment they had and were looking at.

his defensive lapses are well known, however I think they were looking at how well he could QB a play, how well he could make the transitions and outlets at a higher level.

comparing this to the dog house juolevi was in isn’t comparing apples with apples as one is known to need work on the defensive aspect, the other is supposed to be a defensive first type player. 

I like rathbones game and think he has a good future ahead of him, but hopefully he starts the season in Abbotsford as top pairing and PP QB player and also works in his defensive assignments. 

Pretty much just needs to be a slight improvement on Rathbone.

Even if you don’t see a long term future for him at the very least it allows us to develop Rathbone further.

If this team could find a place for players like Larsen, Pouliot, and Weber I’m sure they could find a place for him.

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I didn't think so. Then I thought so. In all reality I don't know. We had a guy claimed by Washington one time and I swear a analyst said we move up when our player gets claimed.

Does anyone know how today's waiver selection & team seeding works to make a selection? 

Edited by BureBurrito

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much just needs to be a slight improvement on Rathbone.

Even if you don’t see a long term future for him at the very least it allows us to develop Rathbone further.

If this team could find a place for players like Larsen, Pouliot, and Weber I’m sure they could find a place for him.

they're not going to take an opportunity away from a homegrown prospect who's earned it for the sake of a potential "slight improvement."

19 minutes ago, tas said:

they're not going to take an opportunity away from a homegrown prospect who's earned it for the sake of a potential "slight improvement."

If he makes the team better than having Rathbone on the roster of course they do.

Rathbone has the same defensive deficiencies. At least Cholowski brings some size to go with his skating.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, tas said:

How has Rathbone earned a spot?  Because he beat out a guy with one good knee?  He barely had any competition in camp.  He's not even playing tonight.  I'd rather have him in Abby playing on the top pairing then sitting in the press box.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, tas said:

Ya, but, I didn't except this management group to take away opportunity from a Gadjovich after he showed up quicker, lighter like they asked. They hardly played him this preseason. I'm confused and frustrated by a lot of their decisions this fall. Nothing will surprise me moving forward.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How has Rathbone earned a spot?  Because he beat out a guy with one good knee?  He barely had any competition in camp.  He's not even playing tonight.  I'd rather have him in Abby playing on the top pairing then sitting in the press box.

since when isn't he playing tonight?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

since when isn't he playing tonight?

My bad.  I thought Hunt was starting.  I still stand by what I said though.  Rathbone can't kill penalties.  That is the main problem I have with him in the lineup.  I'd rather he learn that in Abby playing top minutes.  Cholowski in the meantime can play on the 3rd pairing and add some size and play on the 2nd PK.

5 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Would be absolutely idiotic not to. Gadjovich and MacEwen lost on waivers. Besides signing Chiasson to replace MacEwen we also had to trade Juolevi to get a similar forward back (with Juulsen) to replace Gadjovich, in Lammikko. Dennis Cholowski has great vision and instincts to go with all around athletic skating and mobility and a good frame. He’s also a Langley boy that played for the Chilliwack Chiefs. We can put him in Abbotsford for now if need be but we should be claiming him no hesitation.

Similar to gadj? The guy played almost the whole season on a real good panthers team. Gadj at the end of the day couldn't crack our bottom 6 who has what, 1 nhl game?

Watch other teams play, Not just the canucks and you will realize our fanbase waaay over hypes our guys while dragging other teams players down

I agree, pick up Cholowski and give him a look.  Canucks need more size and depth at LD in the organization. I'm interested to see the Rathbone  Buroughs pairing tonight, but I do think they need a defensive left dman on the third pairing for the pk.  If they don't get Cholowski, who's the next defensive LD they should go after?  Maybe they should bring up Sautner?  

3 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

I agree, pick up Cholowski and give him a look.  Canucks need more size and depth at LD in the organization. I'm interested to see the Rathbone  Buroughs pairing tonight, but I do think they need a defensive left dman on the third pairing for the pk.  If they don't get Cholowski, who's the next defensive LD they should go after?  Maybe they should bring up Sautner?  

Cholowski isn't a defensive d-man. And his size isn't much of an issue. I don't know if he's more effective from a strength standpoint but he had 5 hits in 16 games last year, where Rathbone had 9 hits in 8. Cholowski does block shots, but I don't know that he does anything else better than Rathbone. Over Hunt? I'm on board. Over Rathbone? Only if they really want to give Rathbone more time to develop.

He sounds enticing at first glance being a local kid, but I'll leave this one up to Benning and Co.