The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness need not apply

Rate this topic

AlbertanNuckfan

12 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I see this as Chiasson replacing Mac.  Is he really that much of a downgrade in terms of toughness?  I saw Zack as a guy who was willing to go but nothing that the other team was really concerned with. 

He's actually had a couple more fights than Mac has, has shown himself capable of contributing to a powerplay, has made multiple teams via tryout contracts, and has a Stanley Cup ring to show for his body of work with the Washington Capitals. And he played most of that Washington season as a regular, and played almost every playoff game. 

In his NHL career the fewest games he's played in a full season as an NHL regular is 45, and that was with the Oilers during a shortened Covid season. He clearly brings a lot more than Mac ever did. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sorry Mac is gone, but I'm still pissed over the loss of Gadj. Gadj showed a knack for getting in front of the net and scoring in tight, and he wasn't afraid to drop the mitts. I understand JB and Travis are counting on Chaisson to be that guy, but I think Gadj had a higher ceiling and having a second tough guy is never a bad idea. It's like this team is being built just to make the playoffs, without the thought of having to play against guys like Reeves and Wilson once you get there.

Sucks losing MacEwan since he’s a very likeable person but the puck skills and on ice awareness simply aren’t there. Can’t be trusted in anything other than sheltered minutes. Better players like Bailey and do giuseppe cleared waivers. 

Gadjovich has a pat maroon level ceiling but there is also a very real chance he spends the rest of his career in the minors. Again, sucks to lose him but it doesn’t hurt the team. 

this idea that a 4th line 7 minute per night guy can deter hits and checks on your star players is so flawed. Fights are fun, their entertaining, they get the crowd going, and in a really high intensity important game, I think they turn momentum a bit too. 

but that’s all fights are really. More of a spectacle. They don’t help you’re team win, they don’t deter cheap plays or bad hits, and they don’t punish or exact retribution from dirty players. 

nowadays, you’re fighters also have to be able to play. Miller, Horvat, Podkolzin, schenn, Burroughs, Hamonic (when he’s back), Myers, Dickenson, and Pearson have all fought before. If the team really needs an emotional lift or needs to respond, their are guys who can answer the bell. You don’t *need* and enforcer anymore. It’s just wastes a roster spot. 

I hope MacEwan does well in prolly and figured out the rest of his game, but it was obvious he’s was not good enough to displace anyone else on this team

• Upvote 2

The question is, do we want to get rid of a guy who can fight but not play hockey as well as the guy they keep who can't fight? 

I don't see Zack macewen as enough of a deterent to have an impact that way. 

But I share the concern about our players being pushed around.  

We are focused on the other holes on this team but have neglected to have toughness that can play hockey on this team. 

And you need more than one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Watch the injuries pile up again. Same thing over and over again with the Canucks. Too many cheerleaders on CDC to admit it tho.

Am really starting to hate Benning now. Losing Gadjovic, MacEwan, Lind and Juolevi all in the off season.I really dont get what the point of the preaeason was if you waive half the people that were competing for jobs here. While we also didnt even have all of our regulars play at same time for 3 or 4 games. Basically the preseason was auditioning our prospects to other teams so once they hit the waivers  the teams around the league will know how capable they are. Its just complete mismanagement by Green and Benning imo. I knew cutting prospects this late in preseason would come bite them in the rear, especially when they showcased them in 7 prraeason games.

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Jurassic Park GIF by Vidiots

This happens every year people say we dont need toughness and fighting until something happens to one of our players with no response, then sh#t hits the fan. 

I thought for sure MacEwan made it as a spare once they waived Gadjovic. I mean the team will be in trouble with no fighters or at least someone that can hit and fight.

28 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Sucks losing MacEwan since he’s a very likeable person but the puck skills and on ice awareness simply aren’t there. Can’t be trusted in anything other than sheltered minutes. Better players like Bailey and do giuseppe cleared waivers. 

Gadjovich has a pat maroon level ceiling but there is also a very real chance he spends the rest of his career in the minors. Again, sucks to lose him but it doesn’t hurt the team. 

this idea that a 4th line 7 minute per night guy can deter hits and checks on your star players is so flawed. Fights are fun, their entertaining, they get the crowd going, and in a really high intensity important game, I think they turn momentum a bit too. 

but that’s all fights are really. More of a spectacle. They don’t help you’re team win, they don’t deter cheap plays or bad hits, and they don’t punish or exact retribution from dirty players. 

nowadays, you’re fighters also have to be able to play. Miller, Horvat, Podkolzin, schenn, Burroughs, Hamonic (when he’s back), Myers, Dickenson, and Pearson have all fought before. If the team really needs an emotional lift or needs to respond, their are guys who can answer the bell. You don’t *need* and enforcer anymore. It’s just wastes a roster spot. 

I hope MacEwan does well in prolly and figured out the rest of his game, but it was obvious he’s was not good enough to displace anyone else on this team

He is not good BUT we need at least one tough guy in regular season to keep the opponent honest. We are too soft now and there will be no one on Canucks that will challenge a Kassian or the goon squad of Flames. 

If toughness isn't needed anymore then why do all of our tough guys get claimed off of waivers, some even having multiple teams after them, while our other players seem to easily pass through waivers without a hitch?

Maybe the other teams in the league know something that Green doesn't?  I don't recall Green every being a tough or aggressive player when he played.  It seems he likes to mold his teams in the same way as himself.

Just remember, you don't need a tough guy on the ice until you do.  Then it's too late.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I thought for sure MacEwan made it as a spare once they waived Gadjovic. I mean the team will be in trouble with no fighters or at least someone that can hit and fight.

I made a post about this further up, Chiasson brings more than Mac ever did.

Don't get it twisted, teams didn't line up against the Canucks worrying about MacEwen.

Edited by Coconuts

3 hours ago, AlbertanNuckfan said:

1st it was Gadjovich to get claimed by the sharks,  now it's Zakk MacEwen by the flyers....  not sure about anyone else but I'm starting to get pissed off.  WTF  is going on?  No the sky is not falling but what ever we have for star players are going to be. There is already very little respect for our team in general bease of the lack of muscle on our team and we just got softer....  any 1 watch the Nucks and coilers the other night in Edm.  Mac did pretty good against Kassian and now he's gone. Any 1 else getting pissed off by these moves.  

Yup...not happy 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I made a post about this further up, Chiasson brings more than Mac ever did.

Don't get it twisted, teams didn't line up against the Canucks worrying about Macewen.

and no team is going to worry about Chiasson either....