The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness need not apply

Rate this topic

AlbertanNuckfan

1 minute ago, philtbc829 said:

and no team is going to worry about Chiasson either....

Yes, but he brings more than Mac ever did, which I touched on as well 

If you're going to dress a guy who fan throw them he needs to be useful in other ways :rolleyes:

If he was good enough for a cup winning Caps squad he's good enough for me 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Edmonton would probably disagree...

I doubt it, getting the best of Kassian in one bout isn't going to do much. If Kassian hadn't fallen and hit his head people would have glossed right over it as a typical preseason fight. 

By definition I guess im a dinosaur… because I do like old style tough hockey, I also do like fast paced skilled hockey.

Having said that I could give two $&!#s about the Canucks being a presidents trophy team if they don’t have the toughness to survive in the playoffs. I will aways think of the 94 playoff run as one of the best in the history of the NHL and the Canucks (Canucks deserved it they had half the salary of NY). My memories of the 2011 playoff run were good but there was some overshadowing of embarrassment as our team at

times was soft and easily pushed around. (Partly I blame on the NHL for preaching cleaner faster more skilled hockey but then put the whistles away come playoffs) 

Either way the Stanley Cup is simply

not won by soft teams… 30DEA997-5566-4DD2-87A7-C2FC2E967213.jpeg.7f60c183cc0eacc01ffd1976d055b3ea.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I doubt it, getting the best of Kassian in one bout isn't going to do much. If Kassian hadn't fallen and hit his head people would have glossed right over it as a typical preseason fight. 

Nurse spent the entire summer learning how to do a double leg shoot in anticipation of the rematch...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nurse spent the entire summer learning how to do a double leg shoot in anticipation of the rematch...

They had a good tilt, but given the state of Edmonton's defense he's the last guy Edmonton wants fighting or in the box 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

By definition I guess im a dinosaur… because I do like old style tough hockey, I also do like fast paced skilled hockey.

Having said that I could give two $&!#s about the Canucks being a presidents trophy team if they don’t have the toughness to survive in the playoffs. I will aways think of the 94 playoff run as one of the best in the history of the NHL and the Canucks (Canucks deserved it they had half the salary of NY). My memories of the 2011 playoff run were good but there was some overshadowing of embarrassment as our team at

times was soft and easily pushed around. (Partly I blame on the NHL for preaching cleaner faster more skilled hockey but then put the whistles away come playoffs) 

Either way the Stanley Cup is simply

not won by soft teams… 30DEA997-5566-4DD2-87A7-C2FC2E967213.jpeg.7f60c183cc0eacc01ffd1976d055b3ea.jpeg

The 2011 team was one Chara away from winning multiple Cups.  The 1994 team barely made the playoffs but had not only the talent but the toughness to survive 4 rounds in the playoffs and take the powerhouse Ranger team to one crossbar from overtime in game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

It's going to have to be about team toughness, guys like Horvat, Miller, Myers, Chiasson and Schenn are going to have to grow a pair or teams will start taking liberty's. If green doesn't like us retaliating when needed to stick up for our teammates he can take the next train out of town.

• Like 1

I think we are all remembering all the good times with Zack, like when he fought Forbort.  

However there have been many times where Zack and everybody else did nothing.  

For example the whole Edler - Simmonds incident.  Zack didn't do anything against the Leafs as far as I remember.  Instead we just let the whole thing unfold the way that the Leafs wanted it to.  

Matheson incident didn't inspire much confidence in our team toughness either.  

All the times when our players took cheap blindside hits, I can't recall anybody going after them looking for retribution. 

I'm happy that our young guys (Podkolzin and Hoglander, not Elias and Quinn) can look after themselves for the most part.  I really want us to acquire a forward though that can play and do a bit of policing out there.  Gadjovich and MacEwen would've struggled taking a regular shift out there.  As I mentioned before, I didn't like it at all when Guddy was our resident tough guy because we would go down to 5 dmen for extended periods of time (especially if he got the instigator and was out for the rest of the game). 

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The 2011 team was one Chara away from winning multiple Cups.  The 1994 team barely made the playoffs but had not only the talent but the toughness to survive 4 rounds in the playoffs and take the powerhouse Ranger team to one crossbar from overtime in game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

Lafayette's crossbar. So close, so close. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, AlbertanNuckfan said:

1st it was Gadjovich to get claimed by the sharks,  now it's Zakk MacEwen by the flyers....  not sure about anyone else but I'm starting to get pissed off.  WTF  is going on?  No the sky is not falling but what ever we have for star players are going to be. There is already very little respect for our team in general bease of the lack of muscle on our team and we just got softer....  any 1 watch the Nucks and coilers the other night in Edm.  Mac did pretty good against Kassian and now he's gone. Any 1 else getting pissed off by these moves.  

The two guys left weren’t good enough to PK and definately not a top 9 player for us.

So why should we keep them?

The problem here is that fans here exaggerated a lot regarding Benning and how good he drafted.
There almost none left beside the guys that came into the roster at once. 

Maybe we can start talking on how good Benning has traded if it pans out good this season. 

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Jurassic Park GIF by Vidiots

This happens every year people say we dont need toughness and fighting until something happens to one of our players with no response, then sh#t hits the fan. 

I know... and some people like to pretend that history doesn't matter and act like lack

of toughness on the Canucks has never ever been a factor like ever. And do. not. hit 

me with the league is changing etc... BS. I have yet to see the rules change to a point 

that toughness is no longer factor. The team Seattle is building and the last few winners

of the stanley cup beg to differ with you.

Calling ppl Dinosaurs you absolute latchkey upstarts I would swat you with my pleather 

loafer if you were present.

• Haha 1

The problem I see is people talk too much about "Pushback or retaliation " 

Canuck fans want someone to react when we get smooshed

What I want to see is instigation or push and not from the 4th line

Canuck fans hate Corry Perry, five years of 100+ penalty Minutes and a minimum of 27 goals

things never go well when we are reacting but that is what it sounds like the fans want, a tough player to react when things get tough

I want players that create tough situations and have the ability to score.

really Gadj and Mac lost their jobs to Petan and Garland

as long as Jim is here (it was the same with Willie) this is what we'll get

1 hour ago, FlyLow_ said:

I don't get why people are freaking out over guys that weren't even NHL players. Zack had YEARS to take a spot, he couldn't. End of story.

My issue isn't Zack.  

My issue is bringing in a guy who has NEVER scored at any level like Gadjovich did last year. Give him the kids opportunity.  Have the kid score when he didn't, when Chaisson got twice the games, first line minutes and first PP time.  Then waive the young guy and lose him and sign the loser who was second worst player on the Oilers last year.  

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.  

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Am really starting to hate Benning now. Losing Gadjovic, MacEwan, Lind and Juolevi all in the off season.I really dont get what the point of the preaeason was if you waive half the people that were competing for jobs here. While we also didnt even have all of our regulars play at same time for 3 or 4 games. Basically the preseason was auditioning our prospects to other teams so once they hit the waivers  the teams around the league will know how capable they are. Its just complete mismanagement by Green and Benning imo. I knew cutting prospects this late in preseason would come bite them in the rear, especially when they showcased them in 7 prraeason games.

And got back Chiasson, Juulson and Lammikko. Every team lost a player in the expansion draft, so Lind isn't a slight.

But that is the point of preseason, where if guys aren't quite good enough, you do put them on waivers if you want to give them a bit more time or think they are AHL level players. If they have value but haven't shown enough to make the team, you trade them for something else. Preseason is short, so you give those guys a chance to make the team. If you didn't, then people would complain they didn't get enough time. The regulars will get back into it quickly.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If toughness isn't needed anymore then why do all of our tough guys get claimed off of waivers, some even having multiple teams after them, while our other players seem to easily pass through waivers without a hitch?

Maybe the other teams in the league know something that Green doesn't?  I don't recall Green every being a tough or aggressive player when he played.  It seems he likes to mold his teams in the same way as himself.

Just remember, you don't need a tough guy on the ice until you do.  Then it's too late.

Well, that is the thing. Bringing out a 4th liner to fight another 4th liner after a top 9 player has gone after one of your top 6 solves nothing.

As for the rest, if you can get a player with size, aggression and toughness, you tend to give him some chances. Of course he has to be able to skate well, and have skill and hockey sense, or else those chances dry up quickly. There might be a chance or two elsewhere, but without the latter, the former won't get you far.

• Upvote 1