The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness need not apply

Rate this topic

AlbertanNuckfan

9 hours ago, AlbertanNuckfan said:

1st it was Gadjovich to get claimed by the sharks,  now it's Zakk MacEwen by the flyers....  not sure about anyone else but I'm starting to get pissed off.  WTF  is going on?  No the sky is not falling but what ever we have for star players are going to be. There is already very little respect for our team in general bease of the lack of muscle on our team and we just got softer....  any 1 watch the Nucks and coilers the other night in Edm.  Mac did pretty good against Kassian and now he's gone. Any 1 else getting pissed off by these moves.  

key players will be targeted, eventually get hurt and well you know. It is rinse and repeat...nothing will change until the GM and Coach are changed imo

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I thought for sure MacEwan made it as a spare once they waived Gadjovic. I mean the team will be in trouble with no fighters or at least someone that can hit and fight.

I felt they waived the wrong guy. Gadj has already shown more scoring touch than Big Mac ever did, and he could have been our goon. But I guess Chaisson was their guy.

I do get that it's nice to have that player who can intimidate, but I think an extra 30 points in a skilled player is a better investment. I don't feel our team is "soft" overall. We have some bigger guys - we just don't have a goon. Guess we will see how that pans out.

13 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Toughness is likely a problem but MacEwan wasn't the answer - need to be able to play hockey, as well.

Mac could play hockey.

When given the opportunity the year before last, he proved it.

Cant believe we threw away Lind, Gadj and Mac within a few weeks of one another.

We are the softest team in the league that just gets smaller each year.

13 hours ago, philtbc829 said:

and no team is going to worry about Chiasson either....

No team is going to worry about any player on our club.

Other teams have free reign to wreck any of our guys.

Isnt the fact he could fight.  The guy showed when put with Horvat that he could contribute. He was an excellent skater with size and intensity.  Benning and Green just threw away Gadj and Mac.  

This is basically the 2011 PTSD thread.  I'm not convinced that the Canucks are soft.  Quite a few new faces that we don't know a lot about.  In terms of just the average size of the team we're basically middle of the pack (15th or 16th I believe)

I also cannot stop thinking about this debate I was reading last year about whether or not Lucic is the leagues heavyweight champion right now.  I remember that man being afraid to fight the real heavyweights of the league (part of why I always thought he was a bully and didn't like him).  How tough do you actually have to be in today's game? 

They need a team culture of standing up for one another but I don't think they need an enforcer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

key players will be targeted, eventually get hurt and well you know. It is rinse and repeat...nothing will change until the GM and Coach are changed imo

Nothing will change period. Did enforcers or scrappers deter Torres, Cook, Dorsett, Edler or any others from throwing big hits or even cheap shots? Nope. Players who play that way don't care if they have to fight. As a matter of fact, even suspensions don't deter players like Torres and Kadri. They all just rinse and repeat regardless of the other teams toughness. That "toughness" just makes some fans feel better about their player taking a big hit. It's never really deterred it though.

I don't mind having a few "tough guys" on the team but they need to be able to contribute more than a handful of retaliatory fights per season. 

• Like 1

At least Myers was brought up the right way playing the game - and for sure we have others too.   Our team is getting smaller and more skilled - curiously enough our rebuild peak was when PIT was winning back to back cups so the trend is something JB committed too.   That said i don't think our team is filled with a bunch of pushovers either.   Its not a terrible mix, i'm still grouchy about Gads though.  

MacEwan can be replaced, he's a 7-10 minute forward who throws hits but can't score or kill penalties. We need guys who bring more to the table. Gadjovich is a much bigger loss, he has 20-goal scoring, tough top-6 winger potential written all over him if he can get it together. He almost scored a goal per game in the AHL last season in a brief stint so may just take time to develop but we really messed up by losing him.

Instead we've stuck with relatively smaller/less physical guys like Dowling and Highmore who sure, are a bit stronger defensively and can kill penalties better, but aren't as physical and certainly don't have as much potential up-side as Gadj.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, JM_ said:

ahh yes, the haute cuisine of the Calgary airport Chilli's.

At least at the Edmonton airport you get the visual entertainment of watching the hookers heading up to the patch. 

LOL and so True.   It's always entertaining to go to an Edm Vs. Canucks game and watch the bleach blond "Oil-Patch - Work Camp Girls" from Edm" show up in their cheap rags strutting their Tramp Stamps.  You can tell instantly where they are from.

• Haha 2

If it appears we are going to make the playoffs towards the end of the season and before trade deadline, we're definately going to need to acquire at least one if not two "door-men" to bolster the lineup because it is an impossibility to make it thru the playoffs without some "Muscle" out there to police things.   That is just a fact of the NHL.   The tough always win.   Always was - always will be.  What worries me now is who is going to be step up during regular season???

Canucks:  Guys that can fight 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander 

Garland-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Highmore-Lammikko-Chiasson

Dowling

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Burroughs

Schenn

While I agree that the Canucks could probably use a heavyweight, I also don’t think we are pushovers either.  Fighting is being phased out of the game and the Canucks do seem to have a physical presence on almost all lines and pairings (Atleast with the way Ive configured the lines).  Toughness isn’t a strength of ours, but I’m not sure if we’re going to get pushed around either.  

If the Canucks want some added toughness/policeman into the line-up, then Luke Schenn is the guy you dress.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Canucks:  Guys that can fight 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander 

Garland-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Highmore-Chiasson

Dowling

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Burroughs

Schenn

While I agree that the Canucks could probably use a heavyweight, I also don’t think we are pushovers either.  Fighting is being phased out of the game and the Canucks do seem to have a physical presence on almost all lines and pairings (Atleast with the way Ive configured the lines).  Toughness isn’t a strength of ours, but I’m not sure if we’re going to get pushed around either.  

And Burroughs is a really good fighter too.  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If it appears we are going to make the playoffs towards the end of the season and before trade deadline, we're definately going to need to acquire at least one if not two "door-men" to bolster the lineup because it is an impossibility to make it thru the playoffs without some "Muscle" out there to police things.   That is just a fact of the NHL.   The tough always win.   Always was - always will be.  What worries me now is who is going to be step up during regular season???

Who were the tough guys for the Penguins 2 consecutive cups in 2016 & 2017?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Burroughs is a really good fighter too.  

Thanks!  I just bolded him.

Ps - while I’m not sure if Juno Lammikko has fought much, not many guys are going to push this guy around.  Lammiko has size and swagger apparently.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1