The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Chiasson | #39 | RW

-AJ-

Chiasson reminds me a bit of Luke Schenn and Pearson, guys that are continually spotted the 13thF or 7-8th D and then play virtually the whole season on the 2nd line/pairing

if Chia plays 2 full seasons or 3 part seasons, he might make 800 NHL games, half of which were earned under PTOs

that would be  Masterton worthy

Post-practice, we spoke with Alex Chiasson about his future goals and what he is looking to accomplish from skating with the Canucks during the summer. He said that he loves the city and stayed there throughout the offseason.

Chiasson gave some love to Deep Cove, Spanish Banks, and Stanley Park as three of his favourite spots to hang out.

As for his future, Chiasson addressed the rumours that he was planning on signing in Europe this past offseason.

“Those are all things that I looked into,” said Chiasson. “But with the end of the year that I had, I still feel like I can play, contribute, and help an (NHL) team so that’s where I’m at this year mentally. I feel like I can help a team. I can move up and down the lineup. Those are all things that I’ve shown in the past. I feel good physically, and being here, it was a good summer. I feel like (I’ve) been able to do my own thing and prepare really well. We’ll see how things go.”

When asked about a contract with the Canucks, Chiasson said that was his hope and he wanted to get something done with Vancouver.

“Not sure where that’s going to go, but they’re giving me the opportunity to skate here and we’ll see how that folds out,” said Chiasson. “But obviously, we’re three weeks away from camp so I have to make a decision for myself as well.”

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/08/30/scenes-offseason-skate-bruce-boudreau-gives-hugs-andrey-kuzmenko-puts-work/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Give Chaisson a PTO and who's ice are you going to give him? His utility in Van is done. 

No harm in giving him a chance to prove himself. If he falls short as you say he will, then he won't be signed.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Maginator said:

I actually would like him for more depth. Depends on how the new additions work out.

I still think he’s worth it to sign. I bet if Alex chose to sign a two way deal they would offer him something, would not be a terrible situation for him. He would be great for the kids in Abby if he gets sent down. Obviously Alex is going to try and earn a one way contract first but I think management will just sit on this one till he signs a two way deal. 

I really don’t want to see him walk, I’m very intrigued if he can continue his chemistry with JT. At the end of the season those two were on fire together. Worth the gamble I think. Both JT and Alex say they complemented each other well. Have similar playing styles.