The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

13 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

After the Canucks signed a dozen players likely heading for the farm today, I figured this would be a good time to start a thread on the upcoming season. The roster is really starting to take shape; here's an overview of the players we have so far for Abbotsford's inaugural season.

New Signings (2020-21 Stats)

Forwards

Phillip Di Giuseppe / LW, age 27 / 6'0", 193 lbs / NHL 31 GP - 1G - 8 Pts

Justin Dowling / C, 30 / 5'10", 180 lbs / NHL 27 G - 1G - 5 Pts

Sheldon Dries / C, 27 / 5'9", 180 lbs / NHL 3GP - 0G - 0 Pts; AHL 18GP - 5G - 10 Pts

Nic Petan / C, 26 / 5'9", 175 lbs / NHL 7GP - 0G - 1 Pts; AHL 14GP - 7G - 15 Pts

Sheldon Rempal / RW, 25 / 5'10", 165 lbs / NHL 3GP - 0G - 0 Pts; AHL 25 - 4G - 14 Pts

Chase Wouters / C, 21 / 6'0", 193 lbs / WHL 21GP - 10G - 22 Pts ------------ AHL only contract

Defensemen

Kyle Burroughs / RD, 26 / 6'0", 193 lbs / NHL 5GP - 0G - 1 Pts; AHL 11G - 1G - 4 Pts 

Brad Hunt / LD, 32 / 5'9", 177 lbs / NHL 12 GP - 1G - 1 Pts 

Brady Keeper / RD, 25 / 6'2", 197 lbs / NHL 1GP - 0G - 0 Pts; AHL 11GP - 2G - 3 Pts

Devante Stephens / LD, 24 / 6'3", 185 lbs / AHL 26GP - 5G - 11 Pts; ECHL 16GP - 3G - 6 Pts

Returning

Justin Bailey / RW, 26 / 6'4", 214 lbs / NHL 3GP - 0G - 0 Pts

Madison Bowey / RD, 26 / 6'2", 202 lbs / NHL 2GP - 0G - 1 Pts; AHL 2GP - 0G - 0 Pts

John Stevens / C, 27 / 6'2", 194 lbs / AHL 24GP - 6G - 10 Pts

Canucks Prospects

Forwards

Carson Focht / C, 21 / 6'0", 180 lbs / AHL 28GP - 4G - 12 Pts

Jonah Gadjovich / LW, 22 / 6'2", 209 lbs / NHL 1GP - 0G - 0 Pts; AHL 19GP - 15G - 18 Pts

Danila Klimovich / C/RW, 18 / 6'2", 202 lbs / Belarusian Extraleague 6GP - 1G - 1 Pts; Belarus Vysshaya 37GP - 28G - 52 Pts

William Lockwood / RW, 23 / 5'11", 185 lbs / NHL 2GP - 0G - 0 Pts; AHL 24GP - 4G - 11 Pts

Karel Plasek / RW, 21 / 6'0", 181 lbs / Czech Extraliga 44GP - 6G - 10 Pts; Chance Liga 2GP - 3G - 3 Pts

Defensemen

Guillaume Brisebois / LD, 24 / 6'3", 189 lbs / NHL 1GP - 0G - 0 Pts; AHL 14GP - 1G - 3 Pts ------------ Qualified as a RFA but need to be signed

Jett Woo / RD, 21 / 6'0", 205 lbs / AHL 28GP - 3G - 5 Pts

Goaltenders

Mike DiPietro / G, 22 / 6'0", 200 lbs / AHL 4GP - 2.52 GAA - 0.916 SV%

Arturs Silovs / G, 20 / 6'4", 203 lbs / AHL 1GP - 2.07 GAA - 0.920 SV%

Veterans (more than 320 pro games): D Kyle Burroughs, D Brad Hunt, F Justin Bailey, F Phillip Di Giuseppe, F Justin Dowling.

Veteran exempt (between 261-320 pro games): F Nic Petan, D Madison Bowey.

Only 5 veterans and 1 veteran exempt player are allowed to dress per game, so the Abby Canucks can dress 4 of the 5 vets, and give the fifth vet spot to Petan/ Bowey, or sit one of Petan/ Bowey. However, with injuries and call-ups, it'll likely be a non-issue. Dowling, Keeper and Hunt have one-way contracts, while everyone else are either on two-way or ELCs, so those three are likely to be among the first call-ups.

The above makes it a total of 13 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies, and 21 of the 22 players are on NHL contracts. At this point, the Canucks are probably about done signing NHL contracts, but will still need a few AHL-only deals for depth players. Silovs was only able to get in one game last year, and Ryan Johnson said he wanted DiPietro to start 50+ games this year, so they might send Silovs to ECHL (or on loan to another AHL team) to get some games, and sign an AHL goalie to back up DP.

My projected 23-man Canucks roster:

Forwards: Boeser, Dickinson, Garland, Highmore, Hoglander, Horvat, MacEwen, Miller, Motte, Podkolzin, Pearson, Pettersson, Sutter

Defensemen: OEL, Hamonic, Hughes, Juolevi, Myers, Poolman, Rathbone, Schenn

Goaltenders: Demko, Halak

For the Abby Canucks, I'd like to see a lineup like this:

Gadjovich - Petan - Bailey

Di Giuseppe - Dowling - Lockwood

Dries - Focht - *Klimovich/ Rempal

Wouters - Stevens - Plasek

*Klimovich may go to the Q.

Hunt - Bowey

Brisebois - Keeper

Stephens - Woo

Burroughs

DiPietro / Silovs or AHL backup

Lots of new faces here -- only 3 vets are returning (including Bowey, who didn't play in Utica), and 6 prospects are returning (including DiPietro).  There'll be up to three rookies (Klimovich, Plasek, Silovs), but 13 of the skaters played in at least one NHL game last year.  Due to the taxi squad situation, many of these guys didn't get a lot of games last season, but once everyone gels and shake off the rust, this should be a solid group.

Discuss away!

Totally curious, why would they displace Silovs elsewhere? ECHL is not gonna help his development.

Also, this is a pretty minor question that is unrelated to your thread: why did Brady Keeper get a one-way contract? He seems very unproven, and not really someone of his calibre (no offense) would get until later on. Maybe this was a 'nice thing to do'? I don't get it.

image.thumb.png.ce81be0a7f24e092c31a0f60f5f74298.png

Edited by Dazzle

If the Canucks aren’t winning the cup. The baby Canucks sure as hell might.

Really like what JB did here today. I think Abbotsford is going to be a great team. We could very well lose a player or 2 to waivers but should be a rock solid group,

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Nice list of players and thread, @GoldenAlien.  Sorry to be that guy, but you forgot Vinny Arsenau (LW), enforcer and all-around good guy...he signed a AHL contract.

I saw that post from Birnell as well but no mention of him being on the team yet. I hope he is as he keeps the other team players honest.

• Cheers 1

Been listening to Donnie and Dhali on Chek6 podcasts and Rick Dhaliwal was speaking about a bunch of contracts for Johnny Canucks Jim Benning had lined up to be announced today and/or tomorrow.  JB didn't disappoint...looks like Johnny Canucks will be a decent/competitive team for its inaugural season.  I think I'll be attending quite a number of games in Abbotsford this coming season.

And Rick Dhaliwal for all his noise, is certainly plugged in with the Agents and gets a lot of information that he's able to disseminate to us.  Appears Dhaliwal was right about Nate Schmidt after all...and I think he got played by Todd Diamond on the Tryamkin situation.  Diamond strikes me as an old-time sleazy agent (a la Alan Eagleson and Rich Winters) and was feeding Dhaliwal garbage, which Dhaliwal unfortunately spread like gospel.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Nice list of players and thread, @GoldenAlien.  Sorry to be that guy, but you forgot Vinny Arsenau (LW), enforcer and all-around good guy...he signed a AHL contract.

You're right!  Updated :canucks:.

35 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Totally curious, why would they displace Silovs elsewhere? ECHL is not gonna help his development.

Also, this is a pretty minor question that is unrelated to your thread: why did Brady Keeper get a one-way contract? He seems very unproven, and not really someone of his calibre (no offense) would get until later on. Maybe this was a 'nice thing to do'? I don't get it.

image.thumb.png.ce81be0a7f24e092c31a0f60f5f74298.png

Just my opinion, but I think the ECHL would be helpful for Silovs' development.  The main thing is you have to play to develop, and he basically lost all of last year as he only played one game.  Ryan Johnson said he wants DiPietro to play more than 50 games this year (the western teams play 68 games), which means Silovs will get ~15 games.  If he had a full season last year and played 50+ games, then maybe it's not so bad, but playing 2-3 times a month after a year of not playing is really not ideal. 

Also, Silovs isn't coming to the AHL like Demko or DP, where they obliterated lower level competition before turning pro. Silovs' last full season was his D+1 year -- and he put up 3.87 GAA/ 0.891 SV% in 36 games in the OHL. For comparison, DP won OHL goaltender of the year in his D+1, with a 2.79 GAA and 0.910 SV% in 56 games -- and a whopping 0.934 SV% in 6 playoff games.  He ended his junior career as OHL's all-times shutout leader.  Considering Silovs wasn't able to dominate teenage competition, he should have plenty to learn in the ECHL against pro forwards. A lot of goalies go through the ECHL because each AHL team can really only develop one good goalie at a time, and next year DP will hopefully be in the NHL, leaving the #1 spot in Abby to Silovs.

As for Keeper, TBH every offseason Benning does something that makes me scratch my head, and this year it's Poolman and Keeper.  If you ask him, he'd probably say he paid because there were other teams after Keeper.  I do remember a couple years back, when Keeper was coming out of college, that the Canucks were rumoured to be quite interested.  But Florida had been scouting him since his freshman year and he went with them (we ended up signing Rafferty). And last year, he spent a lot of time on Florida's taxi squad, so he was probably rusty when he played.  He does have a great story -- became a dad before he went to college, left home with next to nothing -- so it could just be that management really likes him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

As for Keeper, TBH every offseason Benning does something that makes me scratch my head, and this year it's Poolman and Keeper.  If you ask him, he'd probably say he paid because there were other teams after Keeper.  I do remember a couple years back, when Keeper was coming out of college, that the Canucks were rumoured to be quite interested.  But Florida had been scouting him since his freshman year and he went with them (we ended up signing Rafferty). And last year, he spent a lot of time on Florida's taxi squad, so he was probably rusty when he played.  He does have a great story -- became a dad before he went to college, left home with next to nothing -- so it could just be that management really likes him.

Keeper is a hard signing to get a read on. About the only year of note was his year in Springfield of the AHL. Unfortunately due to Covid he did not have a place to play when the AHL shut down for a bit and some teams for the season.

Looks like he is a scrapper judging by his penalty minute numbers. He will be one to watch in Abby and maybe see what he is all about.

GoooodGawwwwwwwd a few of them HFComet fans were endlessly whining/griping about our lack of worthy C-depth. Extra kudos to JB for strengthening this area, before Abby even set a sharpened skate on the ice!    :^)

4D chess says it was all part of the stealth-tank. We didn't need true depth in the A. JB was banking on the NHL squad running outa' gas(by Feb, March) every season from 2015-2020. Most of our top youth was developing elsewhere(college, Europe, etc...) All he needed was a succession of top-10(ish) picks to work his larcenous magic.

NOW there is every reason to ice a contender at BOTH levels! No longer will JB allow either squad to lay in the weeds!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Where did Sven Beartchi go?

Las Vegas ....  

We will see if he cracks their lineup.  

Thanks for the writeup!  As a side note, Vincent Arseneau is one tough MFer.  Looking forward to seeing him with the Comets (ugh why did they call them Canucks and not something else!). 

I have a couple of different friends that put money down for Abby season tickets so I'll probably get to catch a few games.  Looking forward to it! 

Looking like payroll for Abbotsford Canucks is going to be somewhere between $6M to $7M. Hunt at $800K, Keeper at $750K, Dowling at $750K, and a few between $300K to $450K. Apparently this is one of the highest AHL payrolls.  Good on CSE for trying to field a competitive team by opening their wallet.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1