The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Depth is Noteworthy

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

As far as depth and injuries I am not sure how Justin Dowling is on the team from what I’ve seen so far. It’s a stretch to say the Canucks are deep.

Dowling, is a depth player, he is in because Brock, Sutter and Motte are injured. 

If Dowling was not replacing  injured players, then one could say we have no depth, imo.

3 regulars out, Dowling steps in.

Edited by gurn
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

Dowling, is a depth player, he is in because Brock, Sutter and Motte are injured. 

If Dowling was not replacing  injured players, then one could say we have no depth, imo.

3 regulars out, Dowling steps in.

Dowling has played well, very steady, haven't seen mistakes.  People moaning about losing big Mac, but in MacEwen's last pre-season game he couldn't connect on any passes.  

I think Chiasson may come out of the lineup before Dowling does.    Canucks depth looks good right now.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/14/2021 at 4:55 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

I think JB & TG might be on to something that many of us have missed(myself incl). Firstly, there might be adequate toughness amongst the troops, that we needn't b*tch about the loss of the muscle-depth. Bo, Myers, Schenn, et al..I get the sense that all guys are gonna buy-in to standing up for each other.

Was also impressed with the 2 tilts in Edm(pre s & reg). There IS a way this team might be positioned, that we(as a franchise) likely have never been before.

There might be adequate depth, that they can handle a ridiculous amount of injuries(say, 8-10 guys), yet still ice a competitive roster.

They've REALLY loaded up the farm. We should certainly appreciate the Aquas for this important, costly detail. As the ol' season-marathon slogs on, it could certainly be an ingred that pushes us past rivals. In an Olympic yr, some teams will wear down. Having 28-30 guys that can skate a competent NHL shift might well prove a big advantage.

Don't really think we should hope this, or that, star has a huge season. Would say this is the ideal yr to have a balanced attack, where hopefully Van constructs several lines that can positively influence a game. Should they fully utilize this apparent depth, the traditional(for Canucks) Jan/Feb malaise might be an obstacle avoided.

With all that has already(& will) occur in 2021-22, have to say this appears a great season to try & win with a complete team-approach. To just keep progressing with each passing month, might very well be their ultimate strategy here.

While I wouldn’t go as far saying that we could handle 8-10 injuries, I will agree that we do seem to have pretty good depth this year.  Although it’s a short sample size, I’ve been pretty impressed with the OEL-Myers pairing. They’ve been a lot better defensively than I had originally given credit.  OEL looks like he’s returned to his “old young” self while Myers seems to be asserting himself a lot more physically.  Although he’s had a few defensive mishaps this season, the positives have clearly outweighed the negatives.

I’d still like to see a little more out of Dickinson offensively.  We all know that he can block shots, shut down, and win board battles, but Jay Beagle could do all that well.  We were told that Dickinson had some untapped hidden offensive potential and I’d like to see that side a bit more. I want to see more out of Tanner Pearson as well.

i absolutely love Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Garland.  Hard workers and great talents!

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

As far as depth and injuries I am not sure how Justin Dowling is on the team from what I’ve seen so far. It’s a stretch to say the Canucks are deep.

I’ll have to agree with this.  Unless I’m missing something, Dowling just seems like the type of guy that plays high percentage dependable hockey but doesn’t really generate much offensively.  He’s like a much cheaper version of Loui Player Name.  This isn’t the guy of you want in your line up if you want more production out of your bottom 6.  That’s just how it’s coming across to me.

I don’t want to turn this into a T&R post/thread, but I really want to see the Canucks kick the tires on Conor Timmins.  He’s a two way RD that is already playing top pairing minutes with Chychrun in Arizona.  I’d be open to hearing about the asking price for Timmins.  My guess is that it would be Rathbone++, but I’m not entirely sure.

27 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Our defensive depth is non existent.

Hughes goes down and it looks very bad.

Hughes was out, Hamonic still is. Not many teams can just carry on while missing a #2 and #4 d man, with out some warts showing.

• Vintage 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Last coupla' games is showing we have some defensive-depth. The fwd-depth hasn't really been tested, thus far.

JB's team-build, plus Boudreau's coaching might've been the ticket.

There were a lot of games we were in early we lost.  "Bruce Bump" for sure seems to be a thing, and love that unlike Green he isn't trying to put square pegs (Dickinson for example - and Podz too even) into round holes.      It sure does look like the ticket so far.    This is the Canucks.   Nothing would surprise me.  Including playoffs this year, and the other shoe dropping hard on the Bruce Bump, back to reality. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 3:24 AM, Canuck Luck said:

Our defensive depth is non existent.

Hughes goes down and it looks very bad.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:06 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

Our depth is pretty meh really. It’s better than last year but really there was no way for it to be worse than that garbage.

These past couple wks have proven the exact opposite. It's impressive to me that they seem to keep rolling(or at the very least, competing hard) with a constantly revolving door of depth D-men, filling various roles.