The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blackhawks trying to move Andrew Shaw's contract

I feel like Arizona is about to extract a 2nd rounder for the Shaw contract....

Shaw's deal expires this year and nobody is expecting the Coyotes to get to the upper echelon's of the cap this season. Could be a win/win.

Buffalo and Anaheim could also be landing spots if they can get picks out of Chicago.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

I feel like Arizona is about to extract a 2nd rounder for the Shaw contract....

Shaw's deal expires this year and nobody is expecting the Coyotes to get to the upper echelon's of the cap this season. Could be a win/win.

Buffalo and Anaheim could also be landing spots if they can get picks out of Chicago.

Gonna be a lot of projected first and second round talents over the next few years going into the draft thinking "not Arizona, not Arizona.."

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, mll said:

Teams can't operate at the full 81.5M cap when they are in LTIR and it costs them cap space, limits roster flexibility and creates bonus overages.

Players on LTIR still count against the cap but going in LTIR allows them to exceed the cap.  Only LTIR contracts can exceed the cap and the regular roster still has to be under 81.5M.  

When a team goes in LTIR there's a new notional cap that is set for the regular roster.  To maximise the LTIR relief it has to be as close as possible to 81.5M but still remain under.  Chicago weren't able to maximise their LTIR relief and have a new notional cap of 81.31M per CapFriendly - ie a loss in cap space for their active roster of 190K from the get go.

When teams use LTIR relief they can't bank cap space and daily unused cap space is forfeited.  

If teams can avoid LTIR, each day they are under 81.5M they can put the difference aside - ie bank it.  That banked cap space can then be used to add at the TDL or cover performance bonuses at the end of the season.  If teams are tapping in LTIR relief there's no possibility to put unused cap space aside.

Shaw has a 3.9M cap hit.  Their regular roster cap is set at 81.31M (as they couldn't maximise the relief).  They can exceed the cap with his contract up to 85.21M - their new cap 81.31M + his 3.9M.  Say their regular roster for the day is at 80M - their cap that day with Shaw is 83.9M and although they are below the max of 85.21M, they can't put that difference aside for future use.  Without Shaw, their regular roster would still be 80M but the 1.5M difference to 81.5M can be banked and used at a later date.  

It can also limit who they can recall because in LTIR the performance bonuses have to be covered in a recall. 

Dumb Patrick Star Blank Template - Imgflip

• Vintage 1

It is too far deep in the woods for me, but for a team like us that is already in LTIR can he slide right in already on LTIR and it effectively really cost us no cap space?

It seems like too much circumvention, but I really don't know how this particular scenario would work.. nor I am I in the mood to look through the CBA and memorandums to see if it is addressed.

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Once upon a time, he was a playoff warrior.... now, he's just a washed up veteran collecting easy $....  well, still better than Loui....

Loui scores 30 goals for Arizona.

Canucks sign Loui Player Name to 6 year 36 million dollars, trading JT Miller to create cap space to accommodate Player Name. That would be epic.

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Gonna be a lot of projected first and second round talents over the next few years going into the draft thinking "not Arizona, not Arizona.."

I would full on pull a Lindros on both Arizona and Buffalo if I was a consensus #1 and they had the pick. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

But the Luongo contract was seen to be cap circumvention but this S#*t is ok ????

That will do me!

Luongo should be on LTIR but Florida saves money this way and he's now in the front office. Pretty shady $&!#. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1