The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canadian-based team will be the first to win the Stanley Cup in the future?

Rate this topic

allegend

On 10/16/2021 at 3:11 AM, Rindiculous said:

What'll happen is Arizona will move to Houston, and then Winnipeg will fold again and move to Arizona and win the cup the year after they move.

Poor Quebec, they will lose every little bit of hope they have left if that happens.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 9:08 PM, timberz21 said:

Poor Quebec, they will lose every little bit of hope they have left if that happens.

The thing about Quebec that nobody wants to acknowledge is that its actually a terrible market for a big 4 sports team. 

That has nothing to do with the fans, they're obviously passionate, but there is a lot more that goes into making a spot viable than "do people there like hockey?"

3 hours ago, McBackup said:

The thing about Quebec that nobody wants to acknowledge is that its actually a terrible market for a big 4 sports team. 

That has nothing to do with the fans, they're obviously passionate, but there is a lot more that goes into making a spot viable than "do people there like hockey?"

Worst than Winnipeg?

On 10/14/2021 at 12:37 PM, allegend said:

I stumbled upon an article recently listing the odds for which Canadian-based team 

would be the first to win the Stanley Cup in the future. Edmonton was listed as the

favourite, closely followed by Toronto. Ottawa was actually listed ahead of Vancouver. 

Any thoughts? Predictions?

My thoughts are that the article is written by a moron. Edmonton, while having some of the best forwards in the game, are still woefully average on defense. They've started hot, but will come back down to earth soon enough. The Leafs are a joke of a team with a poorly constructed, top heavy roster that folds like a cheap suit once the playoffs start. 

Did the mental defect of an author not consider Winnipeg? That team is still a contender and should be for the forseeable future. Calgary, while struggling right now, is a lot more imposing than they were last year, with a roster than relishes seeing the whistles being put away. Vancouver is a solid team that has gone farther that the Laffs have. Montreal is probably a shoe in to miss the playoffs, what with key players like Weber and Price out of the lineup. 

Think Winnipeg probably is the next team that probably wins the Cup. 

Aside from that, oof, since this is a Canucks message board, I'm going to say the Canucks. 

Also, because I really want them to win it

Lets Go Yes GIF by 1 Play Sports

23 hours ago, McBackup said:

hmmm.  Yet we have Florida who can't even come close to filling a building, ARI... CAR who had to make gimmicks to get fans to come back after winning a cup etc.   Quebec would easily be a better market then 4-5 existing teams.  

Hockey in that part of Quebec is a religion.   Way more passionate fans per capita then probably any other place on the planet.   Small market Canada is still better then most big market US cities.     

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:23 PM, kloubek said:

I'm going with the Canucks - though I do so knowing my own bias.

I think both Toronto and the Oilers continue to struggle with top-heavy teams with deficiencies they cannot seem to overcome. The Canucks are more balanced, with the ability to apply continuous pressure across almost all lines.

But top heavy teams like that can throw sh*t against the wall and some of it will stick. Like Jim Rutheford did with the 2016 Penguins.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:06 AM, IBatch said:

Alf already predicted a parade this year.   Man i can't wait to see if that's Green at the helm doing that for us.    Every fan on this site that's slighted him would have to eat so much crow and do both penance and make amends lol.   

I’d be happy to eat crow if it meant my Canucks win a cup before I die.

Unfortunately I think there is more chance I win the lottery than there is of Green taking this team to the top of the mountain.

• Vintage 1

On 10/30/2021 at 10:12 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I hate to say it, but I think it will be the Oilers.

I tend to agree but they need to fix their defense. Holland somehow went out and made it worse this off-season, so I don't think it'll be this year - more likely a 1st or 2nd round exit - but I agree they're a couple pieces away. And you never know with the McDavid - Leon combo, they can carry a team to a win as needed.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:13 AM, McBackup said:

All the same things were said about Winnipeg until a week before the new Jets were announced. Nobody said Quebec is perfect. Neither is the sun belt or Winnipeg