The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Christian Wolanin

Seems like a Benning target to me.

Hasnt played a whole lot of hockey the last couple years but he did represent the US in the world championships twice including last years.

Won the NCAA championship with Brock so there’s no doubt the Canucks would have watched him a lot.

Good depth guy.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Schenn was good enough for Tampa.  He's fine as a press box backup.

I don't get how Wolanin suddenly just got wheels fallen off... he had a very decent season in 2018-19... we should give him a chance since he's still young and looking at the depth chart, we are very light on LHD options... basically just Hunt and injured Brisebois!

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

I don't get how Wolanin suddenly just got wheels fallen off... he had a very decent season in 2018-19... we should give him a chance since he's still young and looking at the depth chart, we are very light on LHD options... basically just Hunt and injured Brisebois!

He had a bad injury right after that season.

2018-19 he looked very solid and like an up and coming NHLer. Statistically, he was even better. But I think he tore a labrum or something in training in 2019 and that pretty much ruined his follow up year. Had surgery and by the time he was back in the lineup, he was playing catch-up, and also dealing with a new coaching staff, so starting from scratch basically. And also having younger, higher drafted guys, also competing for looks.

Of course, really good talent never gets ignored, so it can’t really be said that he was passed over, if he had been showing legit NHL top end ability. But certainly he wasn’t really ever giving a ton of rope, or extra belief from the decision makers, after that 2019 injury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He had a bad injury right after that season.

2018-19 he looked very solid and like an up and coming NHLer. Statistically, he was even better. But I think he tore a labrum or something in training in 2019 and that pretty much ruined his follow up year. Had surgery and by the time he was back in the lineup, he was playing catch-up, and also dealing with a new coaching staff, so starting from scratch basically. And also having younger, higher drafted guys, also competing for looks.

Of course, really good talent never gets ignored, so it can’t really be said that he was passed over, if he had been showing legit NHL top end ability. But certainly he wasn’t really ever giving a ton of rope, or extra belief from the decision makers, after that 2019 injury.

Sounds a lot like Juulsen, just on the other side.  I mean that in a good way.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Sounds a lot like Juulsen, just on the other side.  I mean that in a good way.

Yeah, I can see the similarity you’re getting it.

I’d add to the earlier post that Covid and the creation of taxi squads was probably the worst thing for guys like this, who really needed to be getting into as many games as they could, both to return to form after injuries, and to re-establish themselves in the eyes of coaches/managers, by actually showing well in those games. Shortened seasons, and sitting idle on a taxi squad, were about the worst things for them.

• Cheers 1

While Rathbone is obviously dynamic offensively, his defensive game and puck management in the back end need work. He's not running a PP ahead of Quinn or OEL, and a 3rd pairing needs just be reliable in many games (like tonight), so I still think he should be sent down to Abby to polish his game for a while instead of playing limited TOI with the Canucks.

I thought Cholowski would've been a good choice, but Wolanin could be a solid pick up too.

He was also part of that same UND team that Boeser and Poolman were (fairly certain I remember Poolman and Wolanin were d partners). I'm guessing management scouted him heavily back then.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Knew he'd be snapped up... Wonder if JB had any interest at all...  Our LHD options are really thin with just Hunt and Brisebois... 

Yeah the cupboard is pretty bare for LD depth right now. I understand Breezer is injured too, so just Hunt on the NHL roster and maybe Sautner in the AHL currently. If OEL or Hughes is injured we are in big trouble anyway just to cover the minutes those guys play!

• Like 1