The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

Thoughts

OEL is better than anyone we had last year.

Myers and OEL are much better together than I would've thought especially after just a couple of games.  

Poolman hasn't made a bad play yet that I have seen and he is a good skater.

Teams will have troubl keeping up with Garland and Hoglander buzzing around.

Hirsch is painful on colour.

Bang on on ALL of your points. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, dm_ranger said:

Thing about that argument is that is suggests the other coach can get more out of his team than you can out of yours.  

and how are you going to ensure that? two of the best coaches in the world and one of them got this magical skill that the other guy doesn't? this is the NHL not peewee.

if you all think green is a terrible coach then why would we want him to give a timeout anyways, because we would always lose the advantage.

seriously these are not little boys these are professionals, I guarntee miller doesnt want or need a timeout nor does bo, they know what to do.

honestly coming up with a set play on the fly is more likely to backfire then succeed, and thinking that one coach is going to out coach the opponent in 30 seconds is kinda funny.

seriously what is the coach gonna tell the players? "alright boys just calm down, take a moment. we are going to continue with the gameplan, make smart plays and defend hard. don't chase the puck and stay in position."

these players don't need to hear that

9 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Hated the guy's voice, so had it really quiet.  But, he did show some similar excitement when the Canucks had some good chances, so I too gotta give him some credit.

Just one more reminder how good it is to live on the west coast.  So many obnoxious voices/people over there.

Honestly, Flyers play by play announcer is one of my favourite.  He's got a really sharp, polished, and animated voice.  Way too many Eastern conference announcers just seem bush league by comparison, but I do agree the Western announcers tend to be better overall.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No way Jose.  

Podkolzin just played in his SECOND NHL game.  He's doing just fine and Green's playing him when he can.  You can judge his deployment when we are at home and he gets the last change.  

People the most upset about Podkolzin's deployment are the few fans that think that shoving young players out there makes them better players no matter what. 

Lol. It's about many things. Including you know, how it's a back to back on the first half of a 6 game road trip and the majority of the 4th line is stapled to the bench when they are travelling to Detroit and playing less than 24 hours away. Spreading out the ice time when you HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY to do with a 2 goal lead throughout the third period is not something that's going to happen every single game. When you have the opportunity to spread ice time out, especially in a long road trip, ESPECIALLY in a back to back scenario, you take advantage of that. But I guess we can gaslight people about why they're concerned with the ice time. 

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

and how are you going to ensure that? two of the best coaches in the world and one of them got this magical skill that the other guy doesn't? this is the NHL not peewee.

if you all think green is a terrible coach then why would we want him to give a timeout anyways, because we would always lose the advantage.

seriously these are not little boys these are professionals, I guarntee miller doesnt want or need a timeout nor does bo, they know what to do.

honestly coming up with a set play on the fly is more likely to backfire then succeed, and thinking that one coach is going to out coach the opponent in 30 seconds is kinda funny.

seriously what is the coach gonna tell the players? "alright boys just calm down, take a moment. we are going to continue with the gameplan, make smart plays and defend hard. don't chase the puck and stay in position."

these players don't need to hear that

Have you ever played organized sport at a competitive level? I’m serious, have you? Because your comment shows real ignorance to what is a very common occurrence in pro sports.

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

They didn't even call the set play for Miller properly because they were too busy chatting. 

They also missed the extra man penalty by Philly leading to the 5 on 3 goal becuase they were busy chatting.  I was watching the screen wondering how the Philly forward on the breakaway got off the ice so quickly for another play to play transitional defence and then heard the background screams coming from the Canucks bench. 

Hirsh after all of that said, no wonder they got a break way. 

No Hirsh. You missed it because you were too busy talking. 

They had the breakaway and then the extra man jumped on when the puck was transitioned out of Vancouver zone. 

Sheesh lol. 

He also kept saying that Elias got stripped of the puck at the blue line when it was Quinn, and repeated it over a replay again.  

I don't even mind the missed calls, but the over the top chatting and also the fact that he's not really adding anything interesting to the broadcast is what I don't like.  Brendan Bachelor is doing yeoman's work to keep the chatter interesting between whistles. 

Just now, RWJC said:

Have you ever played organized sport at a competitive level? I’m serious, have you? Because your comment shows real ignorance to what is a very common occurrence in pro sports.

seriously yes. i have played on two championship provincial teams in the vancouver football league. we did not take timeouts very often

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

They didn't even call the set play for Miller properly because they were too busy chatting. 

They also missed the extra man penalty by Philly leading to the 5 on 3 goal becuase they were busy chatting.  I was watching the screen wondering how the Philly forward on the breakaway got off the ice so quickly for another play to play transitional defence and then heard the background screams coming from the Canucks bench. 

Hirsh after all of that said, no wonder they got a break way. 

No Hirsh. You missed it because you were too busy talking. 

They had the breakaway and then the extra man jumped on when the puck was transitioned out of Vancouver zone. 

Sheesh lol. 

Yeah agree, he's annoying.  Always talks about 'the goalie angle' and himself or his past experiences.  Don't care.  Timing was off as you mentioned above. 

2 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Looking back it feels like a planned process.

1st season under JB was about going all in to try to give the Sedins one last shot at the cup. And if I’m being honest whatever we had to give up to do that was worth it for two of the best NHL players ever to get another crack. They deserve the Stanley Cup. They’ve given so much to us as Canucks fans it felt right to do so for them.

Next 2-3 seasons we had no prospects and no set roster, trading and inserting placeholders in and out of the lineup. Whoever we could get to sign with us regardless of NHL ability. It wasn’t so much a team, but a mishmash of AHL’ers and vets.

Then things start to change.

The last 2-3 seasons our draft picks are starting to enter the NHL and regulars are solidifying their spot. We start having assets we can trade for upgrades in positional needs that other teams actually want. Holes start to get plugged and the Canucks continue improving.

Rebuilds take a minimum of 5 seasons to do, so if you take out the Sedins last shot year and the COVID all hell breaks loose year you get about 6 seasons to build this core, which really isn’t that bad of a job done overall. JB like all GM’s has made mistakes, but none have irreparably harmed our team.

These next few years are the really fun ones for us fans. It’s when a rebuilt core starts to gel and compete hard in the regular season and playoffs. We have a great starter goalie and capable backup, a complete top 6, a good/decent bottom 6 and a good top 4 D. As long as we stay healthy we’re going to be a team to watch every season for a potential run at lord Stanley.

We’re right there now with the talent on our roster, just need to have some years playing together to build chemistry between the lines to really threaten for the finals and the ultimate end goal of winning a cup.

Going to be a fun ride in the years ahead. Go Canucks Go!

Now we can slowly start to compare the two rebuild styles. Rangers and us. We literally went bare bones on the roster AND prospect pool, couple bad luck misses with high picks followed by HUGE wins in the prized #1c and 1D, Along with the 1G. We also complimented them with some reaaaally good late first / early 2nd rounders. And topped if off trading out garbage / picks for a bunch of proven NHLer's who can and will complement this group very well.

Now the rangers decided to do a full teardown pretty much after a scuffed playoff run. Meaning they had ALOT of value on the roster to trade that could really speed up the rebuild. Ended up trading for their #1 in fox, Got gifted a first and second overall, Started signing big name free agents, Rushed the prospects, And claimed the rebuild is over after 2 years. They now have 4 guys between 6.5 - 11.6 for who are all 28+ still on these deals for another 5 to 8 years, setting the tone for a 10m dollar deal for fox next year, And the following year they will have to find money to pay laff and kakko, Assuming they actually play to their potential. No contracts end when they need this money. Yes they have 7m cap space now but thats gone + some with fox alone. 

Jb is one smart mother trucker compared to alot of these other rebuilding teams. When our guys need to get paid, We have enough money off the books each year. Look at every single team on cap friendly, We are in a KILLER position compared to most the league. Assuming we stay on a positive progression path that is.

No way you can look at this team, What we went through, What we have on paper today, And complain if you compare it to anyone else in a similar situation. We still have alot to prove, But patience is a virtue, And my god the foundation we have has the potential to be something special. Nobody should expect a cup if we make the playoffs. This isnt the bubble, This is a 82 game grind. Step 1, Make it to the show. Step 2, Find out what we need to address ( probably need a hard to play against line such as tampas 3rd line the last 2 year ). Step 3, Cups runnnnsss. I'm glad i'm here for this journey, Excited to see where it goes. I mean worst case scenario was have a tonnnnn of trade value on the roster if things need revamping in any way.

• Vintage 1

Jeeez that game management at the end was f'n BRUTAL !! Good to see Karma made things right in the end, but that 3rd period from VAN deserved to win in reg. 

Great to see the Russian Lion get his first - harsh on the 7 mins ice time, but Greens comments afterwards make sense. Fine with easing the boy into it, his English is still pretty bad and its good to see him leaving a winning game all smiles after his first goal instead of costing the team a W despite scoring as he messed up some coverage on a 6:4 or something.  

Gotta give a bit of love to the 4th line too.  Lammikko looks like a good peice for us to get outta the O.J fiasco in the end. Hated Highmore last year, but gotta say he's looking fast and effective right now. Dowling and Burroughs too quietly doing their parts. 

Demmer was godlike in the first too !  

Great game all round after the first. Super entertaining and we looked fast, strong and pretty dam dominant in a lively barn filled to brim with XXXXXL Orange :

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Like the Goldobin treatment... I hate seeing that so much

Green alluded in post game interview that it was somewhat to protect his confidence and to potentially calm nerves.  It’s all good. He knows what he has in Podz. I think Aqua is a big fan too so I doubt we’ll see Podz banished because of his age (fingers crossed) instead of his play 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

seriously yes. i have played on two championship provincial teams in the vancouver football league. we did not take timeouts very often

seriously, the all great hail mary is a legend. you coach the players during practise and intermissions. a good coach will coach a player when he's on the bench and in football out coach subbed in players with the plays he wanted runned. Our team played at a relentlessly high pace You ran back to huddles called your play ran back to the line and snapped the ball often on the first hut.

our defence was more basic like greens defence we played zone, your not going to change anything and all of a sudden try to play man to man. so again no timeouts just do our thing that has been drilled into is over and over.

i think its you that hasnt played any sports