The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

And what a beauty of a goal it was!

Keep it up Podzilla, we’re liking what we’re seeing!!!

Go Canucks!

@GassyJack - any chance we can get Podz head on Godzilla’s body as he’s destroying some power lines, please and thank you? :lol:

18 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m not seeking acceptance or recognition. I come here to be enlightened by other perspectives, to think, see and feel the game and the team through other’s eyes, thoughts or emotions, even if they are in contrast to mine.

I value that highly, I respect and appreciate it, but I don’t utilize it to compare myself to anyone else nor do I require it to feel validated within my own thoughts. 

Again, please don’t project upon me, and no, we are not the same. You don’t know anything about me or my motivations. 

I will end my part in this convo with that. I hope you understand and thanks.

Apologies to everyone - sorry to sidetrack. 

LOL, thats the biggest crock of bull iver heard. do go on

I wonder how Boeser would play with Garland on a line? one of them would have to play left wing, but garland is really good at setting up plays and Boeser can finish them off quite well.

top 6 could look like

Miller-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Garland-Horvat-Boeser

1 minute ago, Roberts said:

I wonder how Boeser would play with Garland on a line? one of them would have to play left wing, but garland is really good at setting up plays and Boeser can finish them off quite well.

top 6 could look like

Miller-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Garland-Horvat-Boeser

I love the wealth spread out amongst our top 6, even top 9, now. It’s a major improvement and provides a ton of options for personnel ebbs and flows during the course of the season. 
Finally, feels good to be in this spot with so much potential. 

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh . If it continues sure.

Green has never impressed me with his deployment but this guy is still a rookie in his second game. 

Podz will prove his worth and get more ice time. It's game two. Podz will be stoked tonight. Fans love him. All is good. 

@-Vintage Canuck- already posted this back on page 8. Green is asked about Podz’ goal at :35 and his reasons for his  ice time at the 2:20 mark.

Ice time for his line: Dowling 7:43, Lammiko 9:13, Podz 7:03. Green and the team are pretty stoked about him and his goal so I’m going to assume he is too.

I’m certainly hoping his ice time goes up on this road trip (more because I want to see Green roll 4 lines than any worry about Podz’ time) but definitely by the time they return home and Green has the last change.

• Vintage 1

It was great to see Podkolzin get his first, and nice to see the Canucks win, but objectively, nothing has changed.

The team was extremely lucky to win the game.

Carter Hart was about as bad as he could be in net... Petey's goal, (which depended on a flukey bounce to even get on net) and Miller's goal were down to him entirely... bad positioning, then compounded by him panicking in both cases when he lost sight of the puck.  Chiasson's goal was also a fluke, bouncing out then off Chiasson's scate and back on net... and thanks to Hart's bad positioning, going in.

The only decent goal was Podkolzin's, although Hart gave him a huge opening to shoot at.

The team is still displaying the same lack of imagination in the way the offense is run.  Its all incredibly old school... players two or three abreast crossing the blue line. There is no crisscrossing, no trailer to drop the puck to.... the only play is a horizontal pass across the ice... which is the easiest pass to block.  Usually the puck gets dropped to the D at the blue line and then the rest of the play is all perimeter.  There are very few clean looks at goal because the way the plays are drawn up it is easy for the D to anticipate and block the shots.

This team has plenty of players who have the finesse to play a more complex game, but its clear they are not being coached in that style.

The D side of the game has also not changed... there is too much collapsing to the net and not enough use of player speed to get on the puckhandlers quickly.  Once the other team is established in the zone the Canucks basically just give up any attempt to regain possession and focus on blocking shots.... which may work for a while, but typically results in injuries and an exhausted team by the third period.

Against weak teams like Philly with their suspect goaltending the Canucks might eek out a win, but against decent teams they won't.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I love the wealth spread out amongst our top 6, even top 9, now. It’s a major improvement and provides a ton of options for personnel ebbs and flows during the course of the season. 
Finally, feels good to be in this spot with so much potential. 

so true! I think once Boeser returns then the possibilities are endless, but even with him out there are so many options. Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Garland have improved the team so much already.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Honestly, Flyers play by play announcer is one of my favourite.  He's got a really sharp, polished, and animated voice.  Way too many Eastern conference announcers just seem bush league by comparison, but I do agree the Western announcers tend to be better overall.

Can't say I've heard them much.  But the sound of the play by play guy's voice just gets me, same as so many others out east, with one of the worst being the thankfully retired Doc Emrick.  So many of them sound like they should be in a 40s gangster movie, with all the nasally twangs n such. 

Maybe I'm too picky :)

But we have been spoiled with Robson, Hughson and Shorty.  Especially Robson, for those that got to hear him.

Just now, Viper007 said:

I think you should rename yourself to Buzzkill .....  You killing my happy vibe about the win.

This team has a ton of offensive talent... and could be among the top goal producing teams in the league... but thanks to Green, they normally struggle to score.

Tonight they got the bounces... but that doesn't change the fact Green has no idea how to coach the skilled guys.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

This team has a ton of offensive talent... and could be among the top goal producing teams in the league... but thanks to Green, they normally struggle to score.

Tonight they got the bounces... but that doesn't change the fact Green has no idea how to coach the skilled guys.

You don't "coach" skill guys, you let them be creative in the offensive zone usually.  No team is going to play a perfect game which you seem to want.  You should be more realistic.

10 minutes ago, Roberts said:

so true! I think once Boeser returns then the possibilities are endless, but even with him out there are so many options. Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Garland have improved the team so much already.

Remember when we lived and died by Boeser and how screwed we would be if he ever got injured?  Damn that feels like a lifetime ago.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The Canucks at even strength had almost identical stats to the Flyers in terms of corsi, fenwich, and expected goals, with more scoring chances and high danger scoring chances.  On the power play that boosted us well and above as the better team tonight in terms of expected goals.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Remember the AV meme's with the How dare you score? Defend the 0-0 Tie! 

Green's is.

Rookie, how dare you score? You are benched the rest of the game for showing up the vets. 

I kind of remember last year Olli had a decent game and scored his first NHL goal, then sat in the press box for weeks.