The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

The Canucks at even strength had almost identical stats to the Flyers in terms of corsi, fenwich, and expected goals, with more scoring chances and high danger scoring chances.  On the power play that boosted us well and above as the better team tonight in terms of expected goals.

The better team?  That was the Nux

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Referees don’t typically nullify a penalty call after they have called it. If you are waving your stick in another players face for any reason you have to know there is a chance you are getting called. It was a mistake by OEL to be careless with his stick that unfortunately he paid the price for.

The icing could have gone either way really. It was pretty close. Had the puck not bounced so far out off the end boards it’s likely not called. I personally thought the Philly player still had the front position on Highmore when the whistle went. Was pissed as a Canuck fan but realistically it was too close to suggest it was a botched call. 

Man you are bang on. 

I thought for sure Highmore beat it but he didn't. 

The actual hybrid icing rule is explained here. 

Key takeaway is that a race to the hash marks is a common misconception. 

Linesman blows down the whistle when he can determine who's gonna get to the puck first. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/know-the-rules-hybrid-icing/t-277350912/c-41532003

The puck hit the end boards and was coming back more towards the faceoff circle than the centre of the ice. 

While it looked like Highmore was even with the defensemen, the D man had the edge in terms of being on the closer side to the puck by half a step. 

It only looked bad because Highmore was arguing the call and it was quite close if you took the puck out of the equation and made it into a race down the middle of the ice. 

So all in all, Canucks didn't get screwed. 

OEL shouldn't be waving his stick like that inches in front of someone's face. 

And the icing was a legit icing. 

Canucks blew a 2 goal lead but still was able to come out with 2 points. 

Time to cut the linesman some slack and actually give him kudos for getting it right

Edited by CanucksJay

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Man you are bang on. 

I thought for sure Highmore beat it but he didn't. 

The actual hybrid icing rule is explained here. 

Key takeaway is that a race to the hash marks is a common misconception. 

Linesman blows down the whistle when he can determine who's gonna get to the puck first. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/know-the-rules-hybrid-icing/t-277350912/c-41532003

The puck hit the end boards and was coming back more towards the faceoff circle than the centre of the ice. 

While it looked like Highmore was even with the defensemen, the D man had the edge in terms of being on the closer side to the puck by half a step. 

It only looked bad because Highmore was arguing the call and it was quite close if you took the puck out of the equation and made it into a race down the middle of the ice. 

So all in all, Canucks didn't get screwed. 

OEL shouldn't be waving his stick like that inches in front of someone's face. 

And the icing was a legit icing. 

Canucks blew a 2 goal lead but still was able to come out with 2 points. 

Time to cut the linesman some slack and actually give him a kudos for getting it right

Exactly. If that puck had bounced out that far but to Highmore’s side instead, it would have been waived off as the linesman would have determined Highmore would get to it first. The puck position matters in the call just as much as the players position. He made the right call as much as that sucked for us.

• Cheers 1

Great showing by our top players, glad to see Miller, Petey, OEL and Hughes make strong plays, Demko didn't have much of a chance on our goals against, our PK and defence, particularly Poolman, weren't very good tonight. We shouldn't be letting up late 2 goal advantages but found a way, have to play with more confidence to end a game. Dreadful defending on the last 2 goals. 

Chiasson and Podz scoring proves our depth, this team finally has some good 3rd and 4th liners who aren't just pylons but who can score. Our 4th line were pretty useless but we've got a great 3rd line developing now with Chiasson and Dickinson and they play a hard game as well.

Lots of things to tighten up on the PK and defensively but we're scoring goals and got pretty lucky tonight with the bounces. Hope we'll be able to contain Bertuzzi tomorrow night...

Looked like a rough night for the Poolboy. Lol. At least Pod got his first. Excited for his future. Also love hearing the commentator absolutely roast the Canucks defense on the final goal against. I been saying for years this passive style is a good way to turn our defenders into bystanders. May as well get em some seats on the ice with a couple beers. I was hoping Shaw would change that. Now I am starting to wonder if it's just deeply ingrained into the system.

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Looked like a rough night for the Poolboy. Lol. At least Pod got his first. Excited for his future. Also love hearing the commentator absolutely roast the Canucks defense on the final goal against. I been saying for years this passive style is a good way to turn our defenders into bystanders. May as well get em some seats on the ice with a couple beers. I was hoping Shaw would change that. Now I am starting to wonder if it's just deeply ingrained into the system.

I have seen next to no Shaw influence on any part of the team unfortunately. Given the work he did in his previous stops, none of that influence is showing. 

Transitioning the puck out of our end has been better. Defensive play in our end looks very similar to the last few years though. That stationary, passive style just doesn’t work well in the NHL anymore. Skill teams and players can feast on it.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

FByjg4PXIAMqINf?format=jpg&name=large

wow. that's surprising to me as well. 

and everyone seems to want to trade him away? i think that conversation comes because there doesn't seem to be money enough for Brock, and then eventually Bo as well when their contracts are up. Can the Canucks actually afford to keep both Horvat and Miller, as well as Boeser? 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I have seen next to no Shaw influence on any part of the team unfortunately. Given the work he did in his previous stops, none of that influence is showing. 

Transitioning the puck out of our end has been better. Defensive play in our end looks very similar to the last few years though. 

Yeah. I was going to say. Where is the Shaw effect? I mean, it is two games into the season, but still, the coaching staff had an entire preseason to work out the defensive schemes and plays. Are they any better than last season defensively?

22 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Great showing by our top players, glad to see Miller, Petey, OEL and Hughes make strong plays, Demko didn't have much of a chance on our goals against, our PK and defence, particularly Poolman, weren't very good tonight. We shouldn't be letting up late 2 goal advantages but found a way, have to play with more confidence to end a game. Dreadful defending on the last 2 goals. 

Chiasson and Podz scoring proves our depth, this team finally has some good 3rd and 4th liners who aren't just pylons but who can score. Our 4th line were pretty useless but we've got a great 3rd line developing now with Chiasson and Dickinson and they play a hard game as well.

Lots of things to tighten up on the PK and defensively but we're scoring goals and got pretty lucky tonight with the bounces. Hope we'll be able to contain Bertuzzi tomorrow night...

If we can get a win tomorrow night against the Wings, would be the first winning streak this season. Let's go get 'em boys!

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

wow. that's surprising to me as well. 

and everyone seems to want to trade him away? i think that conversation comes because there doesn't seem to be money enough for Brock, and then eventually Bo as well when their contracts are up. Can the Canucks actually afford to keep both Horvat and Miller, as well as Boeser? 

One of those 3 will be gone by 2023

40 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

The Canucks at even strength had almost identical stats to the Flyers in terms of corsi, fenwich, and expected goals, with more scoring chances and high danger scoring chances.  On the power play that boosted us well and above as the better team tonight in terms of expected goals.

Once Boeser and Motte get back, I expect even better stats with more goals. Boeser bumps Hoglander to 3rd line and give Podkolzin and Dickenson a real boost while Motte and Highmore will make that 4th line play more on the offensive zone.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickenson-Podkolzin

Motte-Lamikkho-Highmore

59 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It was great to see Podkolzin get his first, and nice to see the Canucks win, but objectively, nothing has changed.

The team was extremely lucky to win the game.

Carter Hart was about as bad as he could be in net... Petey's goal, (which depended on a flukey bounce to even get on net) and Miller's goal were down to him entirely... bad positioning, then compounded by him panicking in both cases when he lost sight of the puck.  Chiasson's goal was also a fluke, bouncing out then off Chiasson's scate and back on net... and thanks to Hart's bad positioning, going in.

The only decent goal was Podkolzin's, although Hart gave him a huge opening to shoot at.

The team is still displaying the same lack of imagination in the way the offense is run.  Its all incredibly old school... players two or three abreast crossing the blue line. There is no crisscrossing, no trailer to drop the puck to.... the only play is a horizontal pass across the ice... which is the easiest pass to block.  Usually the puck gets dropped to the D at the blue line and then the rest of the play is all perimeter.  There are very few clean looks at goal because the way the plays are drawn up it is easy for the D to anticipate and block the shots.

This team has plenty of players who have the finesse to play a more complex game, but its clear they are not being coached in that style.

The D side of the game has also not changed... there is too much collapsing to the net and not enough use of player speed to get on the puckhandlers quickly.  Once the other team is established in the zone the Canucks basically just give up any attempt to regain possession and focus on blocking shots.... which may work for a while, but typically results in injuries and an exhausted team by the third period.

Against weak teams like Philly with their suspect goaltending the Canucks might eek out a win, but against decent teams they won't.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Vigneault's teams are usually pretty good. Philly's a good team, with a pretty good roster. They're no slouches, and they pressed hard and made a comeback. You kind of have to expect that in the best league in the world. There are no "bad" teams (ok, maybe except Buffalo and Arizona.....Arizona for sure). 

You gotta be good to be lucky, and you gotta be lucky to be good. I'm enjoying the win tonight for the Canucks. Have to admit that I was pretty upset when the team gave up the two goal lead. But the night could've ended on a very different note, but they pulled out the win. Carter Hart is a good young goalie. I'm just glad that tonight, he didn't stop anything in the shootout. 

Off to Detroit for tomorrow's game. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I was going to say. Where is the Shaw effect? I mean, it is two games into the season, but still, the coaching staff had an entire preseason to work out the defensive schemes and plays. Are they any better than last season defensively?

The unfortunate thing for me is you completely overhaul the roster and keep the same strategies and style offensively and defensively as the last few years. The roster now is probably even more ill suited to play that way than last years team was. 

Shaw is a good coach. He made noticeable and significant changes in his previous jobs. The impact was immediately noticeable. 

It sure seems like his expertise is not being utilized.

1 hour ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Seen some criticism of Garland and am shaking my head.  He is such a unique talent, great skater, tough with a high hockey IQ.  

Our bottom 9 is so much faster (not Choisson) and tougher on the puck. They chase Garland, then they chase Hogs, watch out for Big Dick, and no names Pooly and Burrouws settle down our D. And our top players get more room to create. 

Without a Babych or Dirk we really do have a new NHL style team. 

If we can manage to even out ice times somewhat I think we can stay healthier. 

Congrats Podz!!! :towel:

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

No the coaching staff did no had an entire preseason to workout the kinks as genius Green started our AHL lineup the whole season in search of that elusive 4th liner. I mean our horrendous PK and lack of coverage in defensive zone shows that we lacked the preseason games and practice to get the kinks out.

15 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

No the coaching staff did no had an entire preseason to workout the kinks as genius Green started our AHL lineup the whole season in search of that elusive 4th liner. I mean our horrendous PK and lack of coverage in defensive zone shows that we lacked the preseason games and practice to get the kinks out.

You know they're allowed to practice and work on stuff in practice? Right?