The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The way he fired that shot; clearly Podkolzin eats his spinach? What a shot! Yes only 7 minutes, but he also got shifts with Petey and Miller?  The rest will come.

LOL, Google translated quote from this article...

Podkolzin must correctly perceive the situation and in no case hang his nose.  :lol:

Good to see the leading sports paper agreeing with the way Green manages Podzilla.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

QHs is maybe the leagues best rover, like Subban used to be for a couple of years in his early 20's without the hitting etc... OEL is awesome though in a limited sample size, and shows what a true top line defender can do - play against the best in the world 5 x 5 AND out do them the majority of the time, and on both special teams.    OEL Myers might be the most important line to the team this season.     

Having the leagues best rover and one of the league best all around defenseman would be huge for us this year.   Really comes down how both play...so far better then Nurse/Barrie which really is a similar combo.    Myers ive supported since his signing - he's our best RHD and we are also lucky to have him.   Those two guys will pay dividends ... hope we can draft some guys to replace them ... or at least win some more trades/UFA signings when they are up.   But for now just going to keep enjoying having these guys on the team. 

I like how Hughes controls the game.  He had the puck on his stick for about 4 minutes.  The top Flyer was about half that amount (Provorov). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Was actually thinking of you @IBatch, when Myers destroyed Keith...

You've had to fight the good fight in all corners regarding Myers, and you must have been having a wry smile on your face as Keith was sent flying through the air...

Will be talked about for years... sheer magic :rolleyes:

Thanks Spook ... had the absolute pleasure to watch that live with my brother, who loves the Canucks probably more then i do which is hard to do - first time since we watched a live game just before covid started and because of covid was restricted for travel to meet up ... it was awesome.   Didn't even know it was Keith taking the hit at first ... loved that no penalty on the play, loved that we got the PP, refs got it right.    Myers was awesome in the bubble - sure he's prone to gaffs, so was Edler (with Hamonic out too bad we didn't re-sign him for the third pairing and PK!!)...Last night he made a great play to help Podz get his first goal.   Guys like Myers often age like fine wine - i'm sure he will get another deal once he's done this contract too.   Cheers! 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like how Hughes controls the game.  He had the puck on his stick for about 4 minutes.  The top Flyer was about half that amount (Provorov). 

Me too!  And we have two of them ... plus looks like Myers gets value added playing with a wiley vet like himself. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Me too!  And we have two of them ... plus looks like Myers gets value added playing with a wiley vet like himself. 

Excellent point!  We have two D who add value to their partners.  That’s huge!  I think Bone has the skills to do the same, but he’s still learning.  We have a very good left side D.  

2 hours ago, RomanP said:

I was following this discussion quietly until this. Just as a baseline - I played high level volleyball at a junior level in Ukraine back in a day (U18 Ukraine National team in the 80s). I also coach club volleyball the last 10 years and my team won gold medals at Provincial and National Championships. What you say about the timeouts is ridiculously wrong. There are so many reasons for a timeout during the game that go way beyond “setting up a play”. I can name just a few - calm your players down when they are frustrated; kill the momentum of the opposing team; make adjustments in play based on what you, as a coach, see during the game; give your players a little breather; etc. All your arguments make zero sense. Just because your coach didn’t take timeouts, it doesn’t mean that the timeouts are not needed. It just means that your coach, for whatever reason, didn’t want to take the timeouts (not going to pass judgement on his coaching abilities).

good for you romanp but you dont get it just like all the others.

for you there is an advantage and thats okay and for me there is no measurable advantage which is 100% true.

in football i said my coach didnt take timeouts very often why? because we were winning and timeouts in football stop the clock not something your looking to do too often except maybe you need 1 more play in the second half. you can call a timeout if the ball isn't downed out of bounds.

as for your comments I already answered these exact same questions did you not read them or is your motive more devious?

but here maybe you were actually just not paying attention quite well.

this thing about killing momentum is not measurable, so you cannot argue that this a real strategy. Trust me just because your whole life you were taught something doesnt mean its true. if i were to take you seriously prove to me this momentum even exists, you won't be able to so don't bother. you probably don't understand that we can both be right even if i try to prove that doesnt exist. Momentum is nothing more than a idea realistically its bullcrap, once you understand that its bullcrap it doesnt exist anymore. as long as you believe it is entirely true just like superstitions

giving your players a little breather is not an advantage, OMG my dude, everyone gets the break. there is ZERO advantage.

your making adjustments argument the exact same thing, there is zero advantage, because the other team is also allowed the exact same opputunity, please prove to me how this is exclusively the team that made the timeouts advantage. You actually again won't be able to, because it doesn't exist. Zero advantage

There is many reasons to call a timeout but you wont gain an advantage unless there is reasons to stop the clock or maybe gain a positional advantage. 

so sorry to say RomanP you proved absolutely nothing

• RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, tas said:

this is dumb. real, real dumb.

giving your team a breather isn't advantageous because the other team gets a breather too? not all teams need a breather equally. one team spends 3 minutes straight hemmed in their own zone defending, can't get a line change while the other team is able to get fresh bodies on the fly, and then the defending team ices the puck so the play stops but they can't change. opposition puts out fresh bodies, their best offensive players, to take advantage of an exhausted team. you don't think calling a time out to give your exhausted guys on the ice a chance to catch their breath is advantageous?

im pretty sure youre not allowed to call a timeout in this situation, sorry TAS

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

15 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

im pretty sure youre not allowed to call a timeout in this situation, sorry TAS

Rule 87 - Time-outs – Each team is allowed one 30 second time-out per game. Only one team is allowed to use their time-out during a single stoppage of play. There are three 120 second commercial time-outs per period during NHL games. When a penalty shot has been awarded, no time-outs shall be granted once instructions have been given to the player taking the shot and the goalkeeper defending the shot. No time-out shall be granted during the shootout.

edit: forgot about the rule change, weird that the rulebook on the NHL website didn't seem to mention it.

notwithstanding, there are are still plenty of other scenarios where one team needs a rest more than the other. 

edit 2: timeouts are also inherently advantageous in offensive situations where a specific set play or situational strategy is going to be deployed. you use that 30 seconds to draw up and teach a specific play based on tendencies learned throughout the game. the defensive team can rally and plan more generally during that time, but it's unlikely they'd be able to specifically gameplan for the play the other team is drawing up. 

Edited by tas

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He's a high volume playmaking type of forward. He's not conservative with the puck. If he thinks there's a lane through he usually tries to thread it. For the most part it tends to work out, sometimes though he will force things that aren't there. A guy like Petey or Hughes are a bit more picky but smoother with the plays they make.

Totally agree he just needs to be a lot smarter when he is up near blue line. He makes so many bad drop passes by the blue line that send the other team straight onto the attack. 

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

So, anyone heard if they've announced the parade route yet?

(You can sure tell we've come off a really bad year with the fan reaction tonight after we're only 1-1/2 after 2 games) 

LOL

Lol. I get it. But you can't help but get excited over the difference in team speed from last year to this year. Not just skating speed, but transitional speed. If they keep this up it will be a fun year. 

• Like 1

Just now, rekker said:

Lol. I get it. But you can't help but get excited over the difference in team speed from last year to this year. Not just skating speed, but transitional speed. If they keep this up it will be a fun year. 

this is why having rathbone in the lineup is not only the right thing, but essential. all 3 defence pairings have a left side guy who can make an a+ first pass OR easily skate the puck up himself. having that basis for your transition game is a huge advantage offensively, but the pressure relief valve it provides throughout the lineup is huge defensively, as well. it also means that you can roll 4 lines, everybody has the skill and pace to play the same game, you don't have to lock forward lines to d pairings or have guys adjust their playing styles to make things work. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, tas said:

Rule 87 - Time-outs – Each team is allowed one 30 second time-out per game. Only one team is allowed to use their time-out during a single stoppage of play. There are three 120 second commercial time-outs per period during NHL games. When a penalty shot has been awarded, no time-outs shall be granted once instructions have been given to the player taking the shot and the goalkeeper defending the shot. No time-out shall be granted during the shootout.

edit: forgot about the rule change, weird that the rulebook on the NHL website didn't seem to mention it.

notwithstanding, there are are still plenty of other scenarios where one team needs a rest more than the other. 

edit 2: timeouts are also inherently advantageous in offensive situations where a specific set play or situational strategy is going to be deployed. you use that 30 seconds to draw up and teach a specific play based on tendencies learned throughout the game. the defensive team can rally and plan more generally during that time, but it's unlikely they'd be able to specifically gameplan for the play the other team is drawing up. 

yeah we are just gonna go ahead and disagree 30 seconds is not enough time for a lot of people to memorize a play. creating a play on the fly is more likely to backfire then succeed, like i said earlier the hailmary is a legendary myth. if you do see the guys using the whiteboard its extremly likely that the play has already been taught to them, no one is reinventing the wheel up there. this isnt the movies

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

yeah we are just gonna go ahead and disagree 30 seconds is not enough time for a lot of people to memorize a play. creating a play on the fly is more likely to backfire then succeed, like i said earlier the hailmary is a legendary myth. if you do see the guys using the whiteboard its extremly likely that the play has already been taught to them, no one is reinventing the wheel up there. this isnt the movies

you're missing the point. it's advantageous for an offensive situation to get to gameplan specifically where the defending team can only really gameplan more generally in the same time. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

So, I’m of the mind Hoagie is going to develop into a Canuck version of Marchand minus the antics. Strong, fast, great shot and skilled. Maybe even harder on the puck than Marchand.  What a steal of a pick.  

Benning came out with two top 10 picks that draft.  

• Like 1

Another great game. We are getting spoiled this year. So far we are the only fans to be treated to OT and shootouts every game, with one come-from-behind point and one win, both on the road and both after having to sit through the oppositions' home opener ceremonies. Awesome entertainment so far this year - love it!

And yet we still get to read all the drivel from the "realistic fans" who are dedicated to fabricating pretexts to crap all over members of the team and organization. Including a ridiculous long drawn out discussion with a clown who chooses not to understand the uses of timeouts and is determined to impose his ignorance on the rest of us ad nauseam.

Ah well, at least the unbeaten-in-regulation streak is keeping most of the trolls under their bridges, waiting and hoping for a loss, while we fans cheer on the team. Go Canucks go!

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Excellent point!  We have two D who add value to their partners.  That’s huge!  I think Bone has the skills to do the same, but he’s still learning.  We have a very good left side D.  

He's not flashy but Burroughs has been surprising and a good complimentary partner for Bones as well. Pretty smart in his own end, decent skating and gets aggressive when he needs to, and one of their top Corsi performers so far.

Wondering how much of an impact Brad Shaw has had on the overall play in their own end.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3