The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I would tend to agree, however we did not actually hold the lead. 

Might be just my eye test but good things seem to happen when Podz is on the ice. 

True. But the future isn’t knowable.

It may well be that we win that game in regulation, with Pod playing, and maybe he even has some key shifts that contribute to that win.

Or maybe we lose and Pod ends up hanging his head after his line gives up the go ahead goal against.

I just think Green made the best call he could, with the information he had available.

And there’s also the road matchup issue Green spoke to, and not wanting to put a rookie on the ice cold and in a very tough situation, after he’d already been sitting for several minutes (although I do think that explanation was a bit of a cover story and Green had probably already decided on his lines and approach during the intermission).

I’m sure this season will see some games where Podkolzin will play the defensive hero in the final minutes. Just wasn’t in the cards last night, and I’m okay with that.

It’s a long season and this kid is going to have a long NHL career. It’s okay to take things slow, for his first few games. Might be the best thing for him.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The camera view in real time was from an angle you could not possibly have made that determination in real time. 

The stick hitting the puck doesn’t mean it also didn’t hit his face though. 

If Philly had been the one to do that and everything else about the play was exactly the same but the refs didn’t call a penalty, you guys would be screaming how unfair it is.

Refs screw up.  It happens.  It is sad that they can't review it, or overturn it, but that's the way it is.

I saw what I saw.  I double checked, because what I see isn't always correct.  But I could see hit him the puck, and not the face.  Turns out, I was right.  Nice for a change, considering how often I have to correct myself on "bad calls" real time.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That’s an interesting extrapolation from what I said. It doesn’t answer my question though. What possible anti-Benning agenda is there in saying a ref made a reasonable call in the circumstances? 

I would say people who are whining about those two calls are actually the ones with the agenda. 

meh, the calls were home opener gifts to Philly, particularly the icing, that was just early and bad.

Just being honest with you Wall St, its hard to take people seriously when its 99% complaining.

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Refs screw up.  It happens.  It is sad that they can't review it, or overturn it, but that's the way it is.

I saw what I saw.  I double checked, because what I see isn't always correct.  But I could see hit him the puck, and not the face.  Turns out, I was right.  Nice for a change, considering how often I have to correct myself on "bad calls" real time.

Refs do screw up. They also have a much harder job than most give them credit for. It’s easy to watch on tv and back seat drive them especially through the inherent bias of being a fan of one team. 

I like that they don’t review every penalty call, icing, etc. 5 hour slow moving games can stay with MLB.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

meh, the calls were home opener gifts to Philly, particularly the icing, that was just early and bad.

Just being honest with you Wall St, its hard to take people seriously when its 99% complaining.

I am not complaining. I think the penalty call was reasonable and the icing was 100% the right call. 

It’s hard to take people seriously who don’t even understand how waving a stick head level isn’t asking for a penalty or how the mechanics and rules of hybrid icings actually work.

Go back and look at the icing again. Look specifically at where the puck bounces to and which player has position on getting to it first. Hint: it’s not Highmore. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Refs do screw up. They also have a much harder job than most give them credit for. It’s easy to watch on tv and back seat drive them especially through the inherent bias of being a fan of one team. 

I like that they don’t review every penalty call, icing, etc. 5 hour slow moving games can stay with MLB.

Agreed.  As nice as it would be to get it right, all the time, it would ruin the game.  In this instance, it is disappointing, since it was clear on replay, before the ref announced the call, that it was not a penalty.  But I get it... he "saw" the infraction, and has to call a penalty.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Kragar said:

Agreed.  As nice as it would be to get it right, all the time, it would ruin the game.  In this instance, it is disappointing, since it was clear on replay, before the ref announced the call, that it was not a penalty.  But I get it... he "saw" the infraction, and has to call a penalty.

Those calls even out over time. Officials are human. 3 of my kids are both hockey players and at various stages of being officials. The first thing they are told is to be confident in your calls. That you won’t always be right but call what you see. Someone will not like the call either way so don’t worry about who doesn’t like it.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not complaining. I think the penalty call was reasonable and the icing was 100% the right call. 

It’s hard to take people seriously who don’t even understand how waving a stick head level isn’t asking for a penalty or how the mechanics and rules of hybrid icings actually work.

Go back and look at the icing again. Look specifically at where the puck bounces to and which player has position on getting to it first. Hint: it’s not Highmore. 

the puck hit him and he sold it too. Again, the benefit went to the team with the home opener.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, tas said:

design a pk system around aggressive puck retrieval and clearing the zone rather than passively trying to keep the attack to the outside. 

For sure - but still we need four PKers, two per side ... OEL, Myers and Poolman can't do it all ... makes it even more difficult without OEL at all which was the point.   

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

For sure - but still we need four PKers, two per side ... OEL, Myers and Poolman can't do it all ... makes it even more difficult without OEL at all which was the point.   

rathbone will be able to kill penalties. 

Those calls even out over time. Officials are human. 3 of my kids are both hockey players and at various stages of being officials. The first thing they are told is to be confident in your calls. That you won’t always be right but call what you see. Someone will not like the call either way so don’t worry about who doesn’t like it.

I actually agree that it does even up.   The Oilers game the refs $&!# the bed on a quick whistle with the puck still in play and Garland i think it was put it in the net (twice but the first time was fine).   Then they didn't give Myers a penalty for hitting Keith, which they shouldn't have, we got 5 PPs to their 2...it evened out fine.   Always seems like we get screwed ... because we love our team.   But when we get away with one it's just peachy isn't it? 

• Cheers 1

Losing a fringe fourth liner means that we are the softest team in the league and always will be.  Preseason results are a sign of ultimate doom.  3 of a possible 4 points on the road to start the season also is a sign of doom.  All the league officials sit in a dark room creating illuminati style plots to derail the Canucks.  

Ah how I have missed the calm and rational regular season crowd haha!

• Haha 1

They should even out.  Not sure it has yet, and not sure it is getting more balanced, but that is possibly in part to homer-glasses.  There was someone here in recent years who tried to keep track for a whole season, looking at each Canuck game and analyzing each call and potential missed calls for both sides.  I'm not that anal about it, but it was fun to see the follow-up once in a while. 

You're right... they have to be confident about it, and live with the mistakes that everyone makes.

Just now, Baratheon said:

Losing a fringe fourth liner means that we are the softest team in the league and always will be.  Preseason results are a sign of ultimate doom.  3 of a possible 4 points on the road to start the season also is a sign of doom.  All the league officials sit in a dark room creating illuminati style plots to derail the Canucks.  

Ah how I have missed the calm and rational regular season crowd haha!

Nice!  Thanks for the laugh. 

• Haha 1

Just now, IBatch said:

It wasn't a good call, too much "game management" for my liking. 

good game tho, should have won it in regulation if not for the "management", dominated OT, exposed Hart. He's not ready for the big job yet.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

if they design a system around their personnel well, yes. 

Okey dokey.   What they will do, because they have too, is play OEL and Myers like a dog ... just like last year with Edler and Myers who both had twice the PK minutes then the next man up who was Hamonic.    Rathbone instead of QHs says a lot about QHs.   Rathbone isn't a PK wizard.   But he will have to do...OEL goes in the box and they tie the game lol - with the net empty enough said.