The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 16th, 2021 | SNP, 4:00PM PT

Rate this topic

Roberts

I too, think that Podkolzin might get another look with Petey and Miller. Seemed like he had a pretty decent game with those two. 

I expect another strong performance from the Podz, between Miller and Pettersson. 

And I'm hoping for a win against the Wings. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Looking at their lineup down the middle makes really appreciate what we have at C. 

Yah true especially without Larkin.  Although their goaltending looks very intriguing.  Griess is a really good backup to have and who knows how good Nedeljkovic can be.  I bet Philly would pay dearly for that goaltending lol.

1 hour ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

The thought of Brock potentially coming back is exciting. I feel that, without him in the lineup, many things don't make sense (Chiasson on PP1, Dowling on PP2). But once he's in, everyone can slide into their proper spots.

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Hoglander - Dickinson - Podz/Chiasson

Highmore - Lahmikko - Podz/Chiasson

I don't know about you, but that lineup seems to work seamlessly. 

As a fan, it's fun to think that I'd be happy watching any line that's on the ice

The Canucks need Brock up front

I could also see them inserting the other D pairing in a back-to-back against a somewhat soft team. That would give them four rested players (Brock, Schenn, Hunt, Halak), which would be great.

Hope the Canucks get an early lead so that Pods gets some extra TOI and gets to build some momentum.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

The Canucks need Brock up front

I could also see them inserting the other D pairing in a back-to-back against a somewhat soft team. That would give them four rested players (Brock, Schenn, Hunt, Halak), which would be great.

Hope the Canucks get an early lead so that Pods gets some extra TOI and gets to build some momentum.

What strikes me in the first 2 games is the balanced scoring. If BB comes back in  then obviously the forward group gets even deeper. The 3rd line will have serious scoring potential. To an extent I think this offensive potential up front should take some pressure off the d-core not just in puck possession time but also the need to play up as much as they do. Generate their offense off the blueline. Chaisson, Horvat and Dickenson can draw coverage back from the blueline to deal with their net front presence. It should give the defensemen more opportunity to generate plays from the blueline. 

I agree that Podz getting more TOI would be ideal but I also want Rathbone and Burroughs to get more as well. As much as special teams impact TOI I rather Green role the lines with forwards on #3 & #4 lines at a minimum of 10 minutes. Also prefer the 3rd pairing defense at 15 minutes. TOI allocation is about building towards a true playoff contender. IMHO 2 games in this group looks like a playoff team.   

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What strikes me in the first 2 games is the balanced scoring. If BB comes back in  then obviously the forward group gets even deeper. The 3rd line will have serious scoring potential. To an extent I think this offensive potential up front should take some pressure off the d-core not just in puck possession time but also the need to play up as much as they do. Generate their offense off the blueline. Chaisson, Horvat and Dickenson can draw coverage back from the blueline to deal with their net front presence. It should give the defensemen more opportunity to generate plays from the blueline. 

I agree that Podz getting more TOI would be ideal but I also want Rathbone and Burroughs to get more as well. As much as special teams impact TOI I rather Green role the lines with forwards on #3 & #4 lines at a minimum of 10 minutes. Also prefer the 3rd pairing defense at 15 minutes. TOI allocation is about building towards a true playoff contender. IMHO 2 games in this group looks like a playoff team.   

I agree - the balanced scoring has been good. Notably though, there's been long periods of time in both games where the Canucks haven't had any sustained pressure, and I think the depth that Brock brings will help with that significantly. Winning/squeaking a point in games like the last two isn't sustainable for 82 games, especially if Green stays extremely strategic and like you said, shortens the bench. Brock is essential. The forward core is going to be deep if he and Motte return somewhat soon.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I for one wouldn’t mind a win in a more conventional, less stressful fashion. A win today would mean grabbing 5 points in our first 3 games….an excellent start to the season.

Halak and Boeser in? Maybe Hunt?

Come out strong and take advantage of their Larkin-less state.

I trust Green to continue to develop Podz in the NHL, exactly as he did with our little Hog. Travis is EXCELLENT with our young players, and if you listen to his post game comments you can tell he really likes Podz and has his best interests in mind. 

My money (literally) is on a normal win tonight

Detroit is without their captain, and there's no way they're putting up the same energy as they did in the Tampa loss as they will for Vancouver.

Edited by Teemu Selänne