The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your opinion of Corey Hirsch's colour commentary work?

Rate this topic

nuckin_futz

On 6/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, iceman64 said:

Much like John Garrett, hearing about his wife's cooking and the rest of his idiotic blather. I miss listening to pro guys like Ken Hodge, if anyone here in Vancouver was half as good as him, we'd have a good commentator for a change!

Why do the radio owners allow the commentators to talk about hot dogs and random things like cooking when calling the game? Wouldn't they get in trouble from the top brass for steering off content?

1 hour ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Why do the radio owners allow the commentators to talk about hot dogs and random things like cooking when calling the game? Wouldn't they get in trouble from the top brass for steering off content?

I think there's a balance to be struck.

I find one of the worst is Craig Simpson. Not only for his prairie team homerism, but his utter lack of a sense of humour or engagement with his audience at all.

I actually appreciate a bit of levity during a broadcast, especially if you are tightly wound watching the Canucks blowing another 2-0 lead or something. 

Its like, how many can watch a full game, if there are other people in the room, even if they are not watching, and never crack any joke or talk about anything else other than what is on the screen?  A comment on the food you are eating while watching. Or a news event. Or even crack your own joke about a player or play.

I think mixing in some unrehearsed banter now and again mimics more closely the game watching experience one has at home. It would be kind of boring to me to just watch, and listen to two guys with one guy doing only the simple play by play, and the other monotonically describing what just happened after every whistle.

Cheech has learned this balance.  In fact there are times when it seems like its Shorty that is overstepping his role more than Cheech. He tries to goad Cheech into a response sometimes even as the play is starting up again.  To which Cheech bites his tongue and just mumbles "yes.....yes...."

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

I think there's a balance to be struck.

I find one of the worst is Craig Simpson. Not only for his prairie team homerism, but his utter lack of a sense of humour or engagement with his audience at all.

I actually appreciate a bit of levity during a broadcast, especially if you are tightly wound watching the Canucks blowing another 2-0 lead or something. 

Its like, how many can watch a full game, if there are other people in the room, even if they are not watching, and never crack any joke or talk about anything else other than what is on the screen?  A comment on the food you are eating while watching. Or a news event. Or even crack your own joke about a player or play.

I think mixing in some unrehearsed banter now and again mimics more closely the game watching experience one has at home. It would be kind of boring to me to just watch, and listen to two guys with one guy doing only the simple play by play, and the other monotonically describing what just happened after every whistle.

Cheech has learned this balance.  In fact there are times when it seems like its Shorty that is overstepping his role more than Cheech. He tries to goad Cheech into a response sometimes even as the play is starting up again.  To which Cheech bites his tongue and just mumbles "yes.....yes...."

why i hate cassie campbell commentary and talks way to much.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve liked the commentary of Brett Festerling when he’s stood in for Janda while he was hosting HNIC punjab. Janda is terrible on special comments and Riccio was just as bad this past week. What is more irritating than their poor commentary is when Batch and Janda are just having a general discussion about random topics while the play goes on and in some cases, a goal is scored. That may work on TV where the audience can see the action but on radio, the audience need to have the play described. Frustrating. 

Your colour commentator needs to bring some banter, especially when paired with Shorthouse who is IMO the best in the book of commentating the game accurately and as objectively as possible and is almost robotic-like. You need a cheery colour commentator to lighten things up and break that strict mould that Shorty brings, which is why Cheech works well. I really liked Larscheid back in the day, I know he was controversial and probably aged out of the modern era, but his quips were brilliant and he came up with some of the best slogans. Watching Luongo make glove saves with Larscheid in the cockpit was a real experience. I remember when Garrett started and he knew he had big shoes to fill, but has struck the balance perfectly - he takes some of the personality of Larscheid without the harshness, takes an edge off it and makes it more palatable.

We are spoilt, John and John are by far the best in the business.