The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your opinion of Corey Hirsch's colour commentary work?

Rate this topic

nuckin_futz

We all joke about these things, but the art of good pbp announcer, matched with a sharp colour guy is a treasure to value.

I liked Harry Neale with Bob Cole, for example. Jim & Tom On 'NW had us BC'ers spoiled.

The two positions call for different skills & approach..but finding chemistry with 2 top-notch cohorts makes the game about 5-10x better.

• Cheers 1

He talks too much at times.  Like off track and not focused on the play.

But I like him...his honesty with his mental health battle really connected with me (I have a family member who went through the same horrible ordeal he did).

All in all, he's ok.  But when he rambles about all the guys he's played against, it's too much him and not enough hockey play by play.  Less is more.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think Juice is better suited for the panel. Also he has a young family. Maybe in like 8-10 years since I believe his kids have just hit their teens. Maybe earlier if they are good enough to play hockey at a high level.

I wouldn't mind Loui Debrusk. He use to do some Canucks games for time to time but he is almost always paired with a commentator I don't like. I like his old school approach and he is pretty unbiased when it comes to teams. Praises them all usually when they're good. Never craps on anyone but the refs from time to time.

He's fine when he's not paired with Singh or Randorf.  When he got paired with those guys, he kept getting sucked into their garbage and really didn't conduct himself professionally.  If he's working for a team and told to cut out the blatant Soiler and Bruin love, it could work.

Would do him some good doing colour for a lesser league. Or another team. I am guessing he's still decently new to the whole thing. So to expect him to come in and cover for Garrett who has been doing this for as long as he has is a tall ask. Seems like a good guy. Just needs some work. I know people get mad when Garrett goes off topic with some life and food talk. But it's kind of just part of his charm. Hirsch has been pretty miss for me, but maybe with practice and more reps he can get to a place where he's good. Gotta imagine at some point Garrett will retire, hate to even think about it but it is what it is. Gonna need a new guy one day.

• Upvote 1

Horrible, but also expected. The guy’s never done this before and is used to the off air back and forth talking about any and every subject between interviews. He’s just doing that live now since he’s only ever done the interview style of commentary before. It seems like a really good guy put in a tough, almost impossible position to have such a huge role in something he’s probably never even practiced before.

It’s not working and it likely won’t work, but I’m not going to attack or criticize Hirsch for his commentary. Try imagining getting hired in a new field of work you’ve never done before, receive no training or practice and then being expected to perform adequately. That’s the situation he’s in right now.

I’m sure Shorty will talk to him and try to help him improve during this temporary in game commentator position, but I think we need to give the new guy a break. It’s not as easy as it sounds on tv.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Horrible, but also expected. The guy’s never done this before and is used to the off air back and forth talking about any and every subject between interviews. He’s just doing that live now since he’s only ever done the interview style of commentary before. It seems like a really good guy put in a tough, almost impossible position to have such a huge role in something he’s probably never even practiced before.

It’s not working and it likely won’t work, but I’m not going to attack or criticize Hirsch for his commentary. Try imagining getting hired in a new field of work you’ve never done before, receive no training or practice and then being expected to perform adequately. That’s the situation he’s in right now.

I’m sure Shorty will talk to him and try to help him improve during this temporary in game commentator position, but I think we need to give the new guy a break. It’s not as easy as it sounds on tv.

Agreed, especially given his mental health issues.  Do the people complaining want a scumbag like Hrudy openly cheering for the other team instead?  Because that's likely the alternative.

• Cheers 1

comes across as insecure, trying too hard to be funny and have personality. he should limit his commentary to hockey analysis for now and work in the personality gradually as the audience gets to know him. or not, since he's done in 3 games or whatever. 

• Vintage 2

He got thrown in to this because Garrett is quaranteening apparently.

He has done an admirable job.

What do jerks think? It is easy?

He has done a good job and made some insightful comments about goaltending.  Couple mistakes.

Edited by -DLC-
  • Cheers 3

He’s too critical. Comment on the game and the players. Not what players aren’t good at. I like the guy but I can’t see him doing anything full time. Not an easy job so I shouldn’t judge but that how I see it I guess. 

• Like 1