The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your opinion of Corey Hirsch's colour commentary work?

Rate this topic

nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

he should just shut up already.... too much yakking while the play is going on.

he's a radio guy, thats what they do.

He's OK. A bit weird. But the nitpicking is a bit much, none of us would do any better.

• Upvote 1

I thought he was perfectly on point regarding Garland, and his effect of not letting the team sip into a game losing slumber.

That  alone makes up for his still rough and untrained for t.v.  abilities.

He'll be fine in another month, everyone takes time to settle into a new gig,.

Hoping Cheech is ok, don't want to lose him.

I think his style suits radio more. I know this was a temporary gig but CH is no Garrett. There must be other players out there that could do color. Ronning Courtnall,Babych, Kesler, Ferraro,

Id love to have Don Taylor but he would want Shorthouses job, not Garretts. What about Barry Macdonald?

48 minutes ago, JM_ said:

he's a radio guy, thats what they do.

He's OK. A bit weird. But the nitpicking is a bit much, none of us would do any better.

Makes me giggle to think of GDT posts being spoken out loud on a broadcast.

Maybe we should build an AI using CDC content, to do colour commentary?

The random “fire Green” shouts would definitely be entertaining. :lol:

• Haha 2

Think he has some good takes at times, and i certainly learnt a lot about Goalies from his stint. His colour can be more negative, which obviously us home fans don't like, and a fait bit of cringe in there. I think people are being a bit harsh on him tho. 

Waaaay prefer JG any day of the week !! Can't wait till he is back !! 

He's not very good and in comparison to Garrett it's big shoes to fill. 

He's a wonderful and strong human for his honesty about his mental health struggles.

Maybe the big show is too high of a level for his abilities but I hope he has a fulfilling career in a spot where he can excel one day. 

14 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

So it seems Corey Hirsch is trending on Twitter. A lot of the comments are quite negative of his colour commentary skills.

There were some favourable comments as well .............

So what do you guys think of the job Corey Hirsch is doing? Personally I prefer Cheech by a mile. But I can appreciate it's not Corey's regular gig and he's filling in under difficult circumstances on short notice.

Honestly I can’t stand hirsch or JG.

play by play shorty is great.

JG: 

talks about when he was a goalie, old school goalies, good and he always goes YES.

hirsch:

similar to JG and just sounds awful at times 

ive been watching away broadcasts whenever I can just to give my ears a break to be honest 

Hirschy is a good hockey guy but he's not a good commentator or partner at all for Shorthouse (radio or tv). Tomlinson, former coach Crawford or even JG are miles better. Dare I say Don Whitman or Steve Armitage...

A lot of what Hirsch does feels forced, unnecessary banter for jokes (that fall flat) or sounds homerish. Other times he takes precious air time or awkwardness from his colour commentary partner. Just add when necessary, and keep it simple, quick & informative to the play/player/on-ice situation.

Edited by BureBurrito