The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your opinion of Corey Hirsch's colour commentary work?

Rate this topic

nuckin_futz

Just now, higgyfan said:

He's done ok, considering he just jumped into the job at short notice and doesn't have a lot of experience.

I don't know what peeps are getting so worked up about it.  He's just filling in 'til John gets back.

Not a fan.....

In the game against the Wings, he was like a dog on a bone with the "Halak can't handle the puck" schtick...So much so, thaqt he started to try and justify the opinion by showing replays of Jaro playing the puck exactly as a 'keeper should and acting as if he did something wrong...

Personally, I'd love to see the 'Nucks lure my home boy Darryl Reaugh away from the Stars.

BTW, for those who are criticizing Cheech because of his use of personal anecdotes, I respectfully disagree. It's one of the things that I like about him.

What sets him apart from Hirsch is that he has far more insight into the game. How many times has he been right when he says someone got a stick on a shot, or some other scenario that Shorty didn't see? Seems like Cheech is spot on about 90% of the time....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Garrett is one of the most underrated color men in the league and his stories are actually the kind of stuff I want to hear between plays.  The guy has seen it all from WHA goalie brawls to the NHL All Star game and tells it in a friendly way.

Agreed.   Don't know why anyone would complain about his added value, it's pretty darn good and fun to listen too.   Might be in the minority here too, but i also like Kelly Rhudey, feel before Bieksa came along he was heir apparent Don Cherry as at least keeping things entertaining, always smiling and doesn't seem to age.   Ray Ferraro seems to have ants in his pants a little too much when it comes to his home province.   Otherwise don't mind him either.   Burke was always solid too.   Don't mind Debrusk either - him and Gino were regular dance partners.    Simpson is so so.   The only person on the panels/commentary that i'm really not fond of is Ron McLean. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agreed.   Don't know why anyone would complain about his added value, it's pretty darn good and fun to listen too.   Might be in the minority here too, but i also like Kelly Rhudey, feel before Bieksa came along he was heir apparent Don Cherry as at least keeping things entertaining, always smiling and doesn't seem to age.   Ray Ferraro seems to have ants in his pants a little too much when it comes to his home province.   Otherwise don't mind him either.   Burke was always solid too.   Don't mind Debrusk either - him and Gino were regular dance partners.    Simpson is so so.   The only person on the panels/commentary that i'm really not fond of is Ron McLean. 

Hrudey doesn't age because he keeps pumping his face full of canola oil or whatever anti aging thing.  I remember the first time he did it about 15 years ago, I was watching with a buddy and he just said "what the hell happened to Kelly Hrudey's face?"  But yeah I think he has found slightly more natural looking methods and his hockey talk has always been pretty good.

I like what Ray Ferraro has to say about hockey but I was first introduced to him (or reintroduced to him post playing days) as a Team 1040 guy and he was always doing audio commercials for garbage scams and you never get a second chance to make a first impression.  1040 was really bad when it came to selling their ad time to whomever.  They would have let Bernie Madoff or Jim Jones advertise on their station if they offered $1 more than the next guy.

Goalies always seem to drift into the business of TV and radio personality at a way higher rate than the skaters.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i guess it is because there is no louie to rag on. people have to be negative about someone. shame really.

I try not to be negative about anything but Corey Hirsch has bugged me for the better part of the last three seasons if I'm being honest.  

I've just never seen it brought up before.  

Hey listen, I had a VERY short stint as security at a club and I hated it and I'm sure I also sucked at it. I'm just not made for that job and it's okay.  Nobody should be getting offended that a lot of people are not enjoying Corey Hirsch as a colour commentator.  I think he would do great as a goalie coach because of his brutal honesty, or even better yet just work as an analyst.  I'd rather have Hirsch come in for segments as opposed to Thomas Drance or Patrick Johnson.  He just makes the hockey broadcasts very unenjoyable for me to listen to. 

I think that folks need to remember that he was thrown in with pretty much no notice and did pretty well considering. Clearly someone who talks to fill the dead air as they are used to radio. Give him a few games before we skewer him! Canucks fans really are the worst.

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Garrett is one of the most underrated color men in the league and his stories are actually the kind of stuff I want to hear between plays.  The guy has seen it all from WHA goalie brawls to the NHL All Star game and tells it in a friendly way.

I love the old school stories as well.  It's something I miss seeing these old guys retire and losing a link to an era of hockey that I would have loved to experience.

• Like 3