The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your opinion of Corey Hirsch's colour commentary work?

Rate this topic

nuckin_futz

I've been totally used to Hirsch from the radio. He brings a certain familiarity that I like and has grown on me. 

He brings something different than Cheech but I like that both are good guys at their core.

I think he did a great job filling in for Garrett and it felt good even though I may not have agreed with everything he said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I dont know if it's just me, but I get weirdo vibes from Hirsch. I don't think he's a good broadcaster either, nothing against him. I've heard his past story and depression is terrible, but his sense of humor on the broadcast is very strange sometimes. 

Would love to have a guy like Bieksa take Cheechs old position. 

Edited by KKnight

2 hours ago, KKnight said:

I dont know if it's just me, but I get weirdo vibes from Hirsch. I don't think he's a good broadcaster either, nothing against him. I've heard his past story and depression is terrible, but his sense of humor on the broadcast is very strange sometimes. 

Would love to have a guy like Bieksa take Cheechs old position. 

Probably too many pucks to the head.

He's an A+ human though. Good dude.  Better suited for radio.

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Cant believe ppl are complaining about Hirsch.   Hes been a fresh of breathe air.

Now that's the kind of commentary that would really make a game more interesting.....

"I tell ya Shorty, OEL has really impressed me so far.....the guy can really puck the shoot!" B)

Personally still on the fence. The first game he did I was not really a fan, he would bring up stuff that was irrelevant or repeat the same things throughout the broadcast. However the Detroit game was better, I love the hockey talk stories he has from his playing days. Hoping the first game he was just nervous and can work into a better rhythm with Shorty. 

I think to many on here struggle with change. Corey is different and that is it. He us a Canucks guy at least.

He is a Canuck alumni and a Kanloops Blazer legend so i have a ton of respect for him.

He has done well so far, my only critique is to focus less on his personal stories but cheech does that at times as well. Corey knows hockey and I appreciate a lot of his insight.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Garrett is one of the most underrated color men in the league and his stories are actually the kind of stuff I want to hear between plays.  The guy has seen it all from WHA goalie brawls to the NHL All Star game and tells it in a friendly way.

This.

I, too, love the old time stories (read a lot of hockey books...can't get enough of this stuff).

When I used to get to go to games through the zamboni entrance (and sit on a folding chair at the glass), my friend and I had the great pleasure of talking to John down there - he was so welcoming and pleasant, treated us like old friends.  We also used to see Punch McLean down there and get to hang out with him pre/post game....he told some great stories too.   The game experience, for me, goes well beyond the actual game to the entire before and after.  There is an usher down there who's worked for the team since day one....he also has some great insight.  The history of the game, as told by these people, is incredibly interesting.  The real deal.  I'm so grateful for having had the opportunity to meet some of these legends and soak in their stories.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Cheech was widely criticized when he started as well!

Truth be told, I didn't like him at first myself...

He grew on me though, same as Corey should be given a chance because he is a goo guy doing a good job.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

On 10/16/2021 at 8:02 PM, King Heffy said:

I don't think he's good enough at this to make it full-time. We've been very spoiled with Robson, Hughson, Larscheid, Shorty, and Cheech in this market.

I don't recall anyone ever saying anything bad about Jim R or Jim H (until he went TO)

but I recall plenty who didn't like "Hack Whack and Smack" or the endless "French Fry/Ketchup" stories.

But as we hear these more often they become more acceptable and part of what we like about these guys

I find Hirsch is a bit of a dork, but that is his role.

I'm sure he will grow on most of us with time

He  kind of reminds me of my ex's other BF

On 10/17/2021 at 12:47 PM, mikeyman109 said:

I think his style suits radio more. I know this was a temporary gig but CH is no Garrett. There must be other players out there that could do color. Ronning Courtnall,Babych, Kesler, Ferraro,

Id love to have Don Taylor but he would want Shorthouses job, not Garretts. What about Barry Macdonald?

Courtnall, Kesler and Ferraro wouldn't take the pay cut. Ronning has a business and I'm really curious to know what you have heard Babych do that would qualify him for the job. Taylor was terrible at  play by play - that's a known fact and I'm pretty sure barry Macdonald is done with media.

24 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Taylor on play by play

and Dhaliwal on colour?

Priceless

someone make this happen

Am I the only one who thinks Donnie is the weak link on that show?

I liked Donnie way back when on Sports Page

but in recent times his schtick seems really dated and he seems to have grown a really big ego that reminds me of Ron McLean (not that bad yet)

I'd rather listen to Dhali or Ryan Henderson do colour.

John Shorthouse is not up for replacement anyway

but he was once Donnie's understudy on Sports page

on an off the wall note

Ex Victoria Royal Goalie Griffen Outhouse might be looking,

a Sh0rth0use / 0uth0use combo would be sweet

Honestly as someone who listens to a lot of SN650 at work, I wouldn't mind if they had someone like Satiar Shah, Randip Janda or Dan Riccio do it when we need a fill in colour guy for Cheech. I think they'd be good at it. Randip does HNIC Punjabi I think, so I'm sure he'd be more than fine doing an English broadcast as well. Riccio would bring a level of levity that would be good, but there would need to be a stipulation that under no circumstances does he provide his "italian accent" to player names.

50 minutes ago, lmm said:

Am I the only one who thinks Donnie is the weak link on that show?

I liked Donnie way back when on Sports Page

but in recent times his schtick seems really dated and he seems to have grown a really big ego that reminds me of Ron McLean (not that bad yet)

I'd rather listen to Dhali or Ryan Henderson do colour.

John Shorthouse is not up for replacement anyway

but he was once Donnie's understudy on Sports page

on an off the wall note

Ex Victoria Royal Goalie Griffen Outhouse might be looking,

a Sh0rth0use / 0uth0use combo would be sweet

Without Donnie, that show would not survive.  He's the stick that stirs that coffee.  I don't find him overly egotistic. I think he's probably deserved the respect, all the years he's served the sports community here.

And IMO he's never been better. He's actually toned down since he left 1040, when he had Moj and Dhali to pick on at once. Now he has to reign in Dhali, not the other way around.  I enjoy their show when I get the chance to hear it.  The chemistry between the three is gold.

Taylor has a history of his play by play on recaps ever since his Sports Page days.  It would be fun to hear how he does a whole game.

ps. I'm not actually serious about Donnie and Dhali replacing Shorty and Cheech.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, GB5 said:

I think to many on here struggle with change. Corey is different and that is it. He us a Canucks guy at least.

He is a Canuck alumni and a Kanloops Blazer legend so i have a ton of respect for him.

He has done well so far, my only critique is to focus less on his personal stories but cheech does that at times as well. Corey knows hockey and I appreciate a lot of his insight.

I think it also really shows the difference between people who listen to the radio and don't. If you have grown accustomed to how Hirsch is on the radio, his tv time is pretty good. He sounded a little nervous to me in comparison to his radio color, but that's expected. I think he's doing a good job so far. But I also like the guy, and listen to the majority of the games in the radio last year.