The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Karlsson - "I obviously still think that I'm one of the best players in the world" [Report]

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Someone should tell him that he’s not.

I’d go with the ‘turd sandwich’ approach. 

Hey Erik,  man can you still fly out there! 
Your game has fallen apart and you are pretty well horrible now, but damn,

you used to be the best Dman in the league for a long time!

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

Its backed up by his mom too. 

Ok, we have two.  Two people.  Caaaaaan we get a third.  Do I hear three?  C'mon, is there three.

You there, in the red cap, is that a bid?  No?

Sold, at two.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I respect the man. His resume speaks for itself. Wish he played for a different team. 

lol.. pretty contradicting. Karlsson most likely picked the team who would pay him the most to sign. And you can be certain not many teams would have shelled out 8 years 92million for a 29 year old Karlsson. SJS kind of had to resign him after the treasure trove they used to trade for him the year before.  

On 10/17/2021 at 5:58 PM, Alflives said:

Was it the Matt Cook stomp (cut Achilles) that derailed EK most?  

It for sure was the worst thing that happened to him.   The outrage here in OTT was palpable, i bet Cooke went straight to the hotel after and probably never will risk coming here lol.   Public enemy number one...the owner, GM, coach's etc were out of their minds over it and wanted Cooke removed from the league forever.    Guy ended careers and changed the rule book - crazy as it is, his impact on the league is probably bigger then any other former Canuck.  

On 10/18/2021 at 4:23 AM, Drakrami said:

lol.. pretty contradicting. Karlsson most likely picked the team who would pay him the most to sign. And you can be certain not many teams would have shelled out 8 years 92million for a 29 year old Karlsson. SJS kind of had to resign him after the treasure trove they used to trade for him the year before.  

Once Doughty signed EKs market value was set.   Have to remember, this was a guy who two years before at 27, carried his team to within one goal of the cup final.   Since the 2000's, the only time i've watched a more impressive playoff by a defenseman was Pronger doing the same with EDM on his back - that's it.    Lidstrom had way better teams to work with.    If they made the final and got swept, it's very possible EK would have won the Conn Smythe anyways.  

Funny thing is despite his glowing confidence, he's not very bright if he honestly doesn't get that SJ was going to have to rebuild during his contract.   Sure when he did sign they were contenders, even the favourite in the West ... Burns, EK and Vlasic ... just wow.    Pavelski was their first cap casualty and Wilson has hit a wall as far as being able to re-tool the re-tool.   Unlike the Canucks, theirs actually worked, almost won a cup really, and the tail end of their re-tool they were still dangerous.   

Blake in LA sold his vets and did a mini-rebuild around Doughty and Kopitar - smart move, now they are like CHI, a dark horse.    SJ... Evander Kane lol they are just prolonging their pain.   EK is right back to where he was with OTT, going to end up spending 80% of his entire career on a rebuilding team.   Man, that OTT would have ended up awesome with Stone, Zinbanejad, EK, Pageau, Chabot and a couple of their existing tweeners etc.   

Edit:  Oh and yes, any team with the cap space would have taken a stab at EK and paid what he got.  

Edit:  If he retired right now, he'd likely be in the HHOF.   If he finishes his contract, could  be the first cap defenseman to surpass 1000 points.  ..which would put him in the top ten D scorers all-time.    Only Coffey, Orr and Potvin were top ten three times in scoring or more - oh and Erik K too.   For many years, he was just as "generational" as Crosby and Ovi, just didn't get the same attention, but it appears he certainly knows it lol.    Even 5 seasons of 40 points, which for sure he's capable of, puts him at 15th all-time.   

Edit:  EK was also robbed of one Norris ... due to the stupid love his bro got in LA. 

Edited by IBatch

For some perspective.   EK is 70 points behind Pronger, in close to 400 less games played... ..  the guys ego might be grandeous but he's likely going to be the top scoring D of the 2000's for a very, very long time.   He's committed for another 480 games or so...even at .33 PPG that's going to add up...and i doubt he scores much less then .5 over that period, it really comes down to how many games he actually plays.   300 points is still doable. 

On 10/25/2021 at 4:49 AM, McBackup said:

I mean, technically he's right. Just being in the NHL means you're one of the best players in the world.

And mentally his coaching himself to be a better player than he might be.

Confidence boosting is key for many athletes.

Imo; and just like Markstrom he was playing for that big contract.   Just like Calgary, SJ payed alot for past productions.  The trade was a sided deal for Ottawa (karma got them later with the Colorado trade): picks & cap space; and I understand why SJ did it cause they had a core that had a very good chance of winning the cup.

Edited by ShawnAntoski