Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plans for $400-billion new city in the American desert unveiled


CBH1926

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Sounds like utopia, I wonder if anything comes out of it or it remains a pipe dream.


https://www.cnn.com/style/article/telosa-marc-lore-blake-ingels-new-city/index.html


The concept of this is really cool.  Can you imagine?  Combining all of the best aspects of numerous cultures (I.e. Asian technology, European “green” initiatives, etc., etc,).   Really epic idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:


The concept of this is really cool.  Can you imagine?  Combining all of the best aspects of numerous cultures (I.e. Asian technology, European “green” initiatives, etc., etc,).   Really epic idea.

Imagine having your job, school etc. all within 15 minute distance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I see the word Utopia....

 

Was one of my fav brit mini series and also were my avatar comes from. They remade it for the US.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200924-utopia-and-the-power-of-the-conspiracy-thriller

 

It is so on point for what is happening in the paranoia of today's world.

 

Yes, this has nothing to do with the thread topic. 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Sounds like utopia, I wonder if anything comes out of it or it remains a pipe dream.


https://www.cnn.com/style/article/telosa-marc-lore-blake-ingels-new-city/index.html

I always laugh when I see "a billionaire seeks 400 billion in funding" (eg., someone else to foot the bill, likely taxpayers or some other investors:  "Funding will come from "various sources," project organizers said, including private investors, philanthropists, federal and state grants, and economic development subsidies").  Granted, 400 billion is alot even for a billionaire.

 

Welfare is an easy target for politicians.....unless it involves corporate welfare.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I always laugh when I see "a billionaire seeks 400 billion in funding" (eg., someone else to foot the bill, likely taxpayers or some other investors:  "Funding will come from "various sources," project organizers said, including private investors, philanthropists, federal and state grants, and economic development subsidies").  Granted, 400 billion is alot even for a billionaire.

 

Welfare is an easy target for politicians.....unless it involves corporate welfare.

They have Appalachia’s as a possible site, I don’t think that place and diversity go well together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:


The concept of this is really cool.  Can you imagine?  Combining all of the best aspects of numerous cultures (I.e. Asian technology, European “green” initiatives, etc., etc,).   Really epic idea.

Lol I'm pretty this is vancouver you're talking about.

Edited by Iron Fist
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, butters said:

its easy to sound like utopia on paper. Just look at the ads for any new condo development. Each is an urban paradise.
 

Anyways, this guys has done the hard part - thinking up an idea. Now he just needs the money and land.

You can do this anywhere in Northern bc or yukon or Idaho with an existing town. Look at Surrey in the last 25 years, used to be a small town.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

China has tried making cities from scratch its an interesting concept. I definitely think if they got buy'in from people it could succeed. But.. the majority of the attempts to make cities from scratch have failed in China. It's an interesting situation. I wish I could know more about what caused the cities to be completely vacant and empty. They call them ghost cities.

 

china ghost cities has a bunch of information on them. I'm not saying it cant be done but I'm curious what the main problems are for filling them. Cool concept 100%. Would be some worried about it be an "elite class city for the ultra wealthy" but what do I know.

 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/14/business/evergrande-china-property-ghost-towns-intl-hnk/index.html

 

 

 

There is lots of videos on youtube. worth a look! I'm sure they have studied this thoroughly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This would be great if water wasn’t necessary to sustain life. It’s going to become an extremely precious commodity in the very near future and building another desert utopia that requires immense amounts of water to be used seems like a terrible idea.

 

Also as others have pointed out: What could $400B being spent on other problems achieve in comparison? I think it’s a good idea on paper, but bad in practicality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...