The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Been really impressed with OEL/Garland so far...

Rate this topic

The Listening

Early days but yes, you'd have to like what you're seeing, especially from Garland.  Thought OEL would be much worse but he's been alright.  Not 7M level but good enough.  I'm excited to see what he can do when he's truly settled in and the season gets well underway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AV. said:

Early days but yes, you'd have to like what you're seeing, especially from Garland.  Thought OEL would be much worse but he's been alright.  Not 7M level but good enough.  I'm excited to see what he can do when he's truly settled in and the season gets well underway.

Given the paydays over the offseason, I'm not convinced 7M is overpayment for OEL.  He'd likely get more as a UFA, especially if he keeps up this level of play.

• Thanks 1

I'm liking how this deal is shaping up so far.

Dylan Guenther is a high end prospect, but Garland is an NHL ready top 6 winger today, still in his prime and a point per game 3 games into this season.

OEL doesn't need to be a world beater, he just has to play in a competent top 4 capacity and so far I like that feeling of stability he has brought into the defense this year. 

Be an interesting trade to re-visit 1 to 2 years from now

Edited by DSVII

We've basically just snagged a prime Edler and Burrows for the cost of a 1st round pick. Considering we blew a 1st on Juolevi, that's not a bad trade-off.

Sure, OEL is a bit older and only has maybe a year or two of his prime hockey left but Garland is young and full of energy. Absolutely brilliant trade by JB yet again, similar to the Miller trade, swapping a 1st to a hungry team not only to dump loads of cap but to steal away their best players for now and in the future. I'm surprised no other team had the guts to make a trade like this first.

Garland is quickly becoming a fan favourite and I think will continue to do so, it'd be nice to see him score more goals but we've lacked this grit and peskiness for a long time. Roussel was signed to bring it and all he ever brought were bad penalties, but Garland is finally giving us what this team needs. We don't need to have size to have toughness and grit, Garland is showing how else you can be difficult to play against.