The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic placed on temporary leave of absence (Update: Hamonic will report to Vancouver)

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Wasn't this always the plan? More for cap implications than any sort of "punishment".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Its hard to tell, it seemed like he would be coming back, this seems more long term now. Its pretty murky tho, no way to know.

• Wat 1

If you knew, you knew and this shouldn't be surprise.

This was always going to happen once Pettersson/Hughes got announced.  Wonder what excuses I'll be seeing now, though :rolleyes:

Anyways, hope the player/family have a better understanding of their situation and we wish them the best.  Team was put into a tough spot but they made the correct decision.

• Haha 3
  • Wat 10

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Wasn't this always the plan? More for cap implications than any sort of "punishment".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would guess this to be the case just by Benning's rhetoric since the start of camp.  Suspension makes sense just for team management considering Hamonic didn't opt out for the season.

I'm pretty sure clearing Hamonic's cap space now doesn't have any cap implications for the Canucks at the start of the year?  It doesn't affect their ability to exceed the cap due to to LTIR?

I'm curious if Hamonic has clarified whether he'll come back this season and if the Canucks are close to signing someone?

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Well he is not getting paid his millions so a pretty big punishment anyway you slice it. 

If I took a leave of absence from my job I wouldn't get paid either.  Maybe there's no provision in the CBA for a leave of absence so a suspension might be the only way to do it while avoiding the cap hit.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

I believe this is the only move JB could've made at this point to take care of the cap implications and also at the same time leave the option of a possible return to play for Hamonic at some point down the road. 

This shouldn't be a surprise - it's a cap move, not a punitive one although some might try to spin it that way. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I believe this is the only move JB could've made at this point to take care of the cap implications and also at the same time leave the option of a possible return to play for Hamonic at some point down the road. 

This shouldn't be a surprise - it's a cap move, not a punitive one although some might try to spin it that way. 

we're still in LTIR this year no matter what, but I'm sure this helps.

Based on comments we've heard from Jim in the past, I'd led to believe this is more about the cap than any sort of punishment.

I wonder if we're planning to make some sort of move to use the cap?

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Based on comments we've heard from Jim in the past, I'd led to believe this is more about the cap than any sort of punishment.

I wonder if we're planning to make some sort of move to use the cap?

maybe Motte is ready? we have just under 2 mil in LTIR left.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Probably kept him on long enough for a couple of payments. Then a agreed upon cut off point. 

He'll probably be back on when he's ready. 

He likely won't be any kind of shape when that "time comes".  Remember how out of shape Mats Sundin was?  Sure, Sundin was much older but were over 30 years old.  Baby Canucks in Abby might be the home for him for a while if that "time comes".  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

So it’s been the plan all along. We are going to sit you Hamonic so we can sign Petey and Hughes. Give me a break! 

Plan?  No.  Canucks obviously thought they could get both players signed for cheaper than they did since the expectation was Hamonic would play.

But it's not a coincidence that once Hamonic not reporting would be happening, these extra few millions that would be opened pushed things along and got them signed up.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 5
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

maybe Motte is ready? we have just under 2 mil in LTIR left.

I might be wrong, but I thought Motte was only on IR, not LTIR, so his full cap hit was still in original cap calculation when rosters were set?  If that's the case then Motte being ready would not require the Hamonic suspension.  I still get confused a lot with IR, LTIR and cap space.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1