The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic placed on temporary leave of absence (Update: Hamonic will report to Vancouver)

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I might be wrong, but I thought Motte was only on IR, not LTIR, so his full cap hit was still in original cap calculation when rosters were set?  If that's the case then Motte being ready would not require the Hamonic suspension.  I still get confused a lot with IR, LTIR and cap space.

ah good point. I'm not sure, I need a cap person like @mll to walk me through it.

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

So they told Hamonic he can’t play after signing Petey and Hughes. To the point where Hamonic isn’t getting paid? And Hamonic is ok with not getting paid? What a great guy. 

Lol..

It's pretty obvious that from not reporting, some money would be opening up in the next two years could be used to smooth over AAVs and whatnot.

6 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

The Canucks were cap compliant with Hamonic on their roster with Hughes and Pettersson signed.  However, this does now open up cap space to the trade deadline to make a move because LTIR was already locked in at the beginning of the season.

Yeah cap-compliant to ice exactly 12F, 6D, and 2G at league minimum in multiple positions.  Was never gonna happen or be allowed under TG.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

ah good point. I'm not sure, I need a cap person like @mll to walk me through it.

Yah Motte was put on IR which means his full cap hit is credited to the Canucks cap hit.  Also, if placed on LTIR you need to miss a minimum of 10 games.  We've played 3 games so none of Ferland, Sutter, or Keeper are gonna be activated any time soon.  However, Motte or Boeser can be activated at any time however that would require one player to be sent down or waived in order to keep 23 players on the roster, so if Boeser plays I probably expect Petan to get waived today.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Lol..

It's pretty obvious that from not reporting, some money would be opening up in the next two years could be used to smooth over AAVs and whatnot.

Yeah cap-compliant to ice exactly 12F, 6D, and 2G at league minimum in multiple positions.  Was never gonna happen or be allowed under TG.

Every team has 23 players on their roster with multiple at league minimum.  This isn't specific to the Canucks lol.

2 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Yah Motte was put on IR which means his full cap hit is credited to the Canucks cap hit.  Also, if placed on LTIR you need to miss a minimum of 10 games.  We've played 3 games so none of Ferland, Sutter, or Keeper are gonna be activated any time soon.  However, Motte or Boeser can be activated at any time however that would require one player to be sent down or waived in order to keep 23 players on the roster, so if Boeser plays I probably expect Petan to get waived today.

thanks, makes sense. I'd be guessing Highmore is the next to go when Motte is ready then.

19 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What's the cap now? Can we grab a tough guy? 

Rather than a tough guy, I'm hoping for a Hamonic replacement.

A good top 4 D -man to compliment Hughes.

I know Poolman has done well in the role so far though but I'm worried one injury to a top 4D will derail the season.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Rather than a tough guy, I'm hoping for a Hamonic replacement.

A good top 4 D -man to compliment Hughes.

I know Poolman has done well in the role so far though but I'm worried one injury to a top 4D will derail the season.

How about both in Manson?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

How about both in Manson?

He is suspended but his contract is not annulled.  There's always the possibility that Hamonic reports and they would need to find the cap space to fit him in - whether on the NHL roster or in the AHL. 

Just now, mll said:

He is suspended but his contract is not annulled.  There's always the possibility that Hamonic reports and they would need to find the cap space to fit him in - whether on the NHL roster or in the AHL. 

Fair.  I suspect Anaheim would want to wait until closer to the deadline to maximize the return anyway.  We'll have a better idea by then as to what Hamonic's intentions are.