The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic placed on temporary leave of absence (Update: Hamonic will report to Vancouver)

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, AV. said:

If you knew, you knew and this shouldn't be surprise.

This was always going to happen once Pettersson/Hughes got announced.  Wonder what excuses I'll be seeing now, though :rolleyes:

Anyways, hope the player/family have a better understanding of their situation and we wish them the best.  Team was put into a tough spot but they made the correct decision.

AV, the CDCer who looks at lemonade and turns it into $&!#. 

• Haha 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

Not a surprise, just a surprise is that it didn’t happen right away.  Once we had the LTIR set there wasn’t any reason not to suspend him.

Honestly, we are still stuck with not being able to spend that money even for next year as he is still on the books and may or may not decide to play at the last minute again.  This isn’t a long time career Canuck, he signed a contract and didn’t bother to play a single game honouring his word… Soft shoeing around him is a little silly.  His family isn’t going hungry, and he didn’t choose the easy opt out that was negotiated for him by his union and would have let the team off the hook and be able to replace him.

The only explanation to me is that Benning figures the “possibility” of him coming back at some point is worth more than the value of the cap space.  I am not sure I agree considering how tough it was for Hamonic to come back last time and get up to speed, he is unlikely to come in as some sort of mid season savour.

Edited by Provost

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not a surprise, just a surprise is that it didn’t happen right away.  Once we had the LTIR set there wasn’t any reason not to suspend him.

Honestly, we are still stuck with not being able to spend that money for next year as he is still on the books and may or may not decide to play at the last minute again.  This is t a long time career Canuck, he signed a contract and didn’t bother to play a single game honouring his word… Soft shoeing around him is a little silly.  His family isn’t going hungry, and he didn’t choose the easy opt out that was negotiated for him by his union.

The only explanation to me is that Benning figures the “possibility” of him coming back at some point is worth more than the value of the cap space.  I am not sure I agree considering how tough it was for Hamonic to come back last time and get up to speed, he is unlikely to come in as some sort of mid season savour.

Could be a step on the road to mutual termination if the antivax chatter has legs.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Wasn't this always the plan? More for cap implications than any sort of "punishment".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You could be onto something here.  As much as we want to believe in the humane side, be it Hamonic’s personal situation, Carey Price’s mental health, etc. you also have to wonder if teams are simply trying to follow the Tampa Bay cap circumvention playbook.  I mean moments after Tampa won the cup, didn’t Kucherov where a t-shirt that flat out bragged about being 18 million over the cap?

Again, this is just speculation on my part. I wish guys like Hamonic and Carey Price nothing but the best if they are in fact dealing with something serious.  The Tampa Bay cap circumvention situation however, just has me very skeptical of everything.  

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yeah and "Benning" and TG this and that.   Maybe - in some universe maybe just let it go man.  That's a lot of hate that just spews onto the forum endlessly in the blame game.  Just enjoy the hockey instead.   I'm a long time fan and have been frustrated for a long time.   But am willing to wait to see how all these balls drop before passing judgement.   Wanted Hamonic on the team, they did too or wouldn't have offered him a deal.   They can't control it though.   It is what it is.   Now they can make a trade.   Cap space is King right now.   

It's not hate, it's just an observation.  I'm not even saying anything about management or the player.  I didn't mind management bringing back the player (tho, it was a bit too much money for my liking) and I certainly wouldn't mind the player playing for us right now.

My original post was in reference to a sect of users who tried to tell me that this suspension wouldn't figure into some of the extensions we handed out to our star players just a few weeks ago, that we had a "plan", etcf.  As things have played out, we're learning that, yes, these events are connected, and had nothing happened on this front and Hamonic reported to camp/got vaccinated, I'd suspect we'd see vastly different contracts handed out or maybe even still negotiating.  People don't need to see it that way, and that's fine, but nothing about my pov is negative/hating about the team.  It's just the same group of entitled, know-it-alls feeling like they have to police the forum...

FWIW, I've enjoyed our season thus far.  Only 3 games in but you see a fast-paced team that isn't out of the game early.  What's not to like?

Edited by AV.

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

It's not hate, it's just an observation.  I'm not even saying anything about management or the player.  I didn't mind management bringing back the player (tho, it was a bit too much money for my liking) and I certainly wouldn't mind the player playing for us right now.

My original post was in reference to a sect of users who tried to tell me that this suspension wouldn't figure into some of the extensions we handed out to our star players just a few weeks ago, that we had a "plan", etcf.  As things have played out, we're learning that, yes, these events are connected, and had nothing happened on this front and Hamonic reported to camp/got vaccinated, I'd suspect we'd see vastly different contracts handed out or maybe even still negotiating.  People don't need to see it that way, and that's fine, but nothing about my pov is negative/hating about the team.  It's just the same group of entitled, know-it-alls feeling like they have to police the forum...

FWIW, I've enjoyed our season thus far.  Only 3 games in but you see a fast-paced team that isn't out of the game early.  What's not to like?

Please show your work demonstrating how you came to the conclusion that we would be over the cap if Hamonic had reported.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

Honestly, we are still stuck with not being able to spend that money even for next year as he is still on the books and may or may not decide to play at the last minute again.  This isn’t a long time career Canuck, he signed a contract and didn’t bother to play a single game honouring his word… Soft shoeing around him is a little silly.  His family isn’t going hungry, and he didn’t choose the easy opt out that was negotiated for him by his union and would have let the team off the hook and be able to replace him.

It's all optics man...

This is such a murky situation where most of us kinda knew what was going on.... if JB suspended him right away without pay... it would make him look kinda heartless... BUT now that it's been a while and he still hasn't sorted out his "personal matters" or made an attempt to report to Abbotsford, it's now OK to pull this move to get all that cap space back!

Also, pulling this move was probably a SAFE PR move in that JB must know the situation isn't literally life & death!! possibly (probably) just his vaxx hesitancy.... *sigh*

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

huh. I wonder what changed?

We need more cap space. If he's not coming into town and starting his contract, Canucks really have no choice. This doesn't mean that when (If) he shows up that it's all, No harm, No Foul, and both sides continue like nothing happened.