The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic placed on temporary leave of absence (Update: Hamonic will report to Vancouver)

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Uh oh, we have duelling sources.

CapFriendly vs Puckpedia, who will win? :lol:

(I might have a look at the CBA for clarity later on, but have no time right now.)

CapFriendly.   Exhibit 1 - standard player contract on page 318 of the CBA.

14. The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only after obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:

(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC.

(b) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this SPC.

In the event of termination under Paragraph 14(a) or (b) the Player shall only be entitled to compensation due to him to the earlier of the date such notice is personally delivered to him or the date such notice is e-mailed to him.

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

Not Punishment

It is Hamonics choosing to stay home while not injured from playing hockey

Maybe he has life insurance policy with his millions?

Don't get hung up on semantics.

The point was to counter the argument that this is a cap move. That is only kosher if Hamonic continue to get paid while the cap space is cleared which is not the case.

Also for not reporting as specified in the terms of the contract is in breach of it and therefore the punishment for not holding oneself to the term of the contract is suspension of pay. 

I really appreciate how the club has circled the wagons around Hamonic - whatever his situation is.  Looks like he’s doing them a favour back by agreeing to this.  

I also note how the situation is driving the lunatic fringe on Twitter absolutely crazy.  They love to get on the right side of social justice issues while crapping all over the club - something they can’t do in this situation. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I really appreciate how the club has circled the wagons around Hamonic - whatever his situation is.  Looks like he’s doing them a favour back by agreeing to this.  

I also note how the situation is driving the lunatic fringe on Twitter absolutely crazy.  They love to get on the right side of social justice issues while crapping all over the club - something they can’t do in this situation. 

Oddly listening to Tom Cochrane right now as I read this. Lunatic Fringe up next...

Good luck to Travis speaking to the actual topic. 

• Vintage 2

28 minutes ago, mll said:

CapFriendly.   Exhibit 1 - standard player contract on page 318 of the CBA.

14. The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only after obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:

(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC.

(b) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this SPC.

In the event of termination under Paragraph 14(a) or (b) the Player shall only be entitled to compensation due to him to the earlier of the date such notice is personally delivered to him or the date such notice is e-mailed to him.

I suppose it’s moot for the time being (with the club now announcing a “temporary leave of absence”), but it would seem mutual termination remains an arrow in the Canucks’ quiver, should they eventually need to use it.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, and they can use this time to work out a solution that’s acceptable to both parties, and within league guidelines, that allows Hamonic to return to the team, and play the full remaining schedule (home and away).

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

That seems kind of like nonsense.

He isn't doing them any favours at all.  He isn't reporting to play and that is a material breach of his contract that could result in terminating it.  It is the Canucks doing HIM a favour by granting a leave of absence rather than terminating his contract.  Hamonic has no option where he doesn't agree to a leave and puts the screws to the Canucks.

If the story doesn't end up that someone in his immediate family is direly ill, and it is the reported Covid protocol stuff... then the guy screwed us by not opting out of the season so we could backfill him at some point.

If it was an illness in the family there isn't much reason the agent wouldn't have made a generic statement to that effect.  In PR you only stay quiet when speaking is more damaging than what is out there already.

I agree the Canucks have stepped up more for Hamonic than he has for them - absolutely. But I’m also confident they don’t care about retaining him for the 2nd year of his deal - (I think they really wanted him THIS year, though.).

Now that the possibility seems gone for this season, I think they’d rip it up if they could / if it wouldn’t be a PR nightmare. I dunno.  I feel like there’s a bit more to it than meets the eye.

At the very least they feel like they can’t terminate the contract and need to keep an eye on next season.  This of course aside from the possibility that Hamonic and/or his family are going through something that warrants this kind of rope.  Which could still very well be the case.

As for timing, I’m not sure any teams are looking to trade away 2nd pairing (or even really good 3rd pairing) d men before the season… Hamonic’s situation stings but I doubt this delay makes a big difference in finding a replacement.  We have a chance towards the deadline at fitting someone in now, though, if he still doesn’t report.

Edited by ilduce39