The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic placed on temporary leave of absence (Update: Hamonic will report to Vancouver)

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So by suspending Hamonic that should free up some cap space as our LTIR is locked in from game 1.

By my calculations, when Boeser and Motte come back from IR we would need to send down 2 players to Abby to get to the 23 man roster limit, so that will free up $1.5 million roughly, plus the additional $1.875 million from the balance of Hamonic's contract that is not buried in Abby.  Also, if we are to upgrade the D we woud need to send another player down to Abby to get to 23 players, so that would free up roughly another $800,000.  So that would be a total of $4,175,000 in cap space that we would have if we want to upgrade the D.  

Josh Manson would fit perfectly into our cap space and he is on an expiring contract, so that wouldn't affect our cap if Hamonic decides to show up next year and play out his final year.  I'd wait it out a bit to see what is out there and how our D looks over the coming weeks.  But it's nice to know that we have over $4 million in potential cap space to upgrade the D, get a tough guy, etc. if we need to.

Except Hamonic can return at any point in the season.  They can't keep him away for the full season if he wants to play.

Edited by mll

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So by suspending Hamonic that should free up some cap space as our LTIR is locked in from game 1.

By my calculations, when Boeser and Motte come back from IR we would need to send down 2 players to Abby to get to the 23 man roster limit, so that will free up $1.5 million roughly, plus the additional $1.875 million from the balance of Hamonic's contract that is not buried in Abby.  Also, if we are to upgrade the D we woud need to send another player down to Abby to get to 23 players, so that would free up roughly another $800,000.  So that would be a total of $4,175,000 in cap space that we would have if we want to upgrade the D.  

Josh Manson would fit perfectly into our cap space and he is on an expiring contract, so that wouldn't affect our cap if Hamonic decides to show up next year and play out his final year.  I'd wait it out a bit to see what is out there and how our D looks over the coming weeks.  But it's nice to know that we have over $4 million in potential cap space to upgrade the D, get a tough guy, etc. if we need to.

hopefully, this means that Boeser will come off IR tomorrow and get his first game in.

I'm thinking that Boeser will also be wearing an "A" this season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Except Hamonic can return at any point in the season.  They can't keep him away for the full season if he wants to play.

That is true.  So that is why it is best at this point to wait it out for a bit.  I am sure the Hamonic situation will become more clear very shortly however.  If the rumours are true and he is not vaccinated then the chances of him coming back to the team are pretty much zero at this point.

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Wasn't this always the plan? More for cap implications than any sort of "punishment".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Guarantee you the NHL still finds a way to nail us for some sort of cap circumvention rule they just came up with. 

Edited by Pears
typo
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Could be a step on the road to mutual termination if the antivax chatter has legs.

It’s very possible. We’ll have to see what happens.

Next step would be the club sending a letter to Hamonic and his agent formally informing them that his failure to report will result in contract termination. Then, Hamonic would have the informed choice to either (A) report to Abby, or (B) remain in breach and have his contract terminated.

• Vintage 2

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Next step would be the club sending a letter to Hamonic and his agent formally informing them that his failure to report will result in contract termination. Then, Hamonic would have the informed choice to either (A) report to Abby, or (B) remain in breach and have his contract terminated.

Interesting, I was thinking they'd need Hamonic's permission.  Thanks for that clarification.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Interesting, I was thinking they'd need Hamonic's permission.  Thanks for that clarification.

Hamonic gives his permission for mutual termination by choosing to remain in breach, after informed of the consequences.

EDIT: not saying this is going to happen, just it would be the next step in the process. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Canucks press pause at suspension and continue to work toward a solution. They’ve been exceedingly patient and understanding so far, and I could see that continuing.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hamonic gives his permission for mutual termination by choosing to remain in breach, after informed of the consequences.

Love it.    A lot of the finer points of the CBA aren't exactly an area of knowledge so I appreciate when people take the time to educate me.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Rumour] Canucks suspend Travis Hamonic
8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Puckpedia seams to say that refusing to report isn't grounds for termination.  

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/answers/contract-termination

Contracts can be terminated if both the player and team mutually decides on a termination and the player clears waivers.  This often happens for non-NHL players that wish to go play in Europe, so both sides agree to terminate.  When the player does not want to terminate (like in DeAngelo's case), the contract can only be terminated if the player does something to violate it.  This is very rare. Even if a player refuses to report and play, usually the contract is still valid but the player is suspended and the contract does not count against the cap.  A buy-out can only happen in the off-season during the 2 buyout windows.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Smoke and mirrors... so many conflicting reports that I find it hard to believe anyone actually knows what's going on besides Hamonic and Benning/Green

because of conflicting reports swirling around and not only fans but also experts speculating I find it very strange that Canucks haven't issued a press release for clarification , yet.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Puckpedia seams to say that refusing to report isn't grounds for termination.  

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/answers/contract-termination

Contracts can be terminated if both the player and team mutually decides on a termination and the player clears waivers.  This often happens for non-NHL players that wish to go play in Europe, so both sides agree to terminate.  When the player does not want to terminate (like in DeAngelo's case), the contract can only be terminated if the player does something to violate it.  This is very rare. Even if a player refuses to report and play, usually the contract is still valid but the player is suspended and the contract does not count against the cap.  A buy-out can only happen in the off-season during the 2 buyout windows.  

Uh oh, we have duelling sources.

CapFriendly vs Puckpedia, who will win? :lol:

(I might have a look at the CBA for clarity later on, but have no time right now.)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1