The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic placed on temporary leave of absence (Update: Hamonic will report to Vancouver)

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

this is just par for the course, i am actually surprised this didn't happen on day 1 of the season. All the best to Mr. Hamonic and whatever he is dealing with must be quite serious but family first/ mental health first etc... I will never jump to conclusions as to why he didn't how up to camp etc but some of you seem to want to be nosey and come up with your own assumptions...when you all should just let it go and go get some fresh air outside or something!?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s also important to note that the Canucks do a ton of mental health awareness initiatives.  I appreciate that after all the work they’ve done in Rick Rypien’s honour they aren’t turning their back on Hamonic - who has been reportedly having a very tough time with this.

Such an important take. Regardless of any roster implications, the team is trying to take care of the human before he becomes a sad example story.

• Cheers 4

Hope whatever Travis is dealing with can work out for him. The team is far better with  Hamonic on the roster. He is old school and this team needs some of what he brings. Actually, lots of what he brings. Hope he can be back soon, when he's ready.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

At the very least they feel like they can’t terminate the contract and need to keep an eye on next season.  This of course aside from the possibility that Hamonic and/or his family are going through something that warrants this kind of rope.  Which could still very well be the case.

this seems more and more likely. Jim's been pretty firm in his support. I'm sure the players appreciate seeing that.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Hope whatever Travis is dealing with can work out for him. The team is far better with  Hamonic on the roster. He is old school and this team needs some of what he brings. Actually, lots of what he brings. Hope he can be back soon, when he's ready.

nice thing is it looks like Burroughs is the real thing, and is a nice backup option when any of our right side d go down to injury.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

nice thing is it looks like Burroughs is the real thing, and is a nice backup option when any of our right side d go down to injury.

Very impressed with Burroughs. He keeps things simple. Great depth dman. And heck, who could get tired of hearing that name around here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Such an important take. Regardless of any roster implications, the team is trying to take care of the human before he becomes a sad example story.

If himself was dealing with mental health he could have gone on LTIR, like Drouin did.  In the LTIR route he would have continued to be paid and Vancouver would have got more cap relief.

9 hours ago, goalie13 said:

If I took a leave of absence from my job I wouldn't get paid either.  Maybe there's no provision in the CBA for a leave of absence so a suspension might be the only way to do it while avoiding the cap hit.

kind of reminds me of Byfuglien in Winnipeg a couple of years back

It started out sounding all nicee then degenerated into a regular suspension

we'll see how it goes this time

38 minutes ago, lmm said:

kind of reminds me of Byfuglien in Winnipeg a couple of years back

It started out sounding all nicee then degenerated into a regular suspension

we'll see how it goes this time

Maybe I am totally wrong (it happens all the time), but this doesn't have the same feel to it to me.  I feel like the team and the player are working through this together, but due to the team's efforts to give the Hamonics privacy, fans (and the media) are filling the void with speculation.

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe I am totally wrong (it happens all the time), but this doesn't have the same feel to it to me.  I feel like the team and the player are working through this together, but due to the team's efforts to give the Hamonics privacy, fans (and the media) are filling the void with speculation.

you could be right

and I hope you are

I just thought things seemed pretty congenial early in the Buff season as well.

I don't think things will go as far south, and I hope not

58 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Most importantly,

Hamonic's 3 million is off our books which can now possibly allow Benning to make some moves at a later date.  

Wish Travis all the best in whatever he's dealing with.

He cannot… Hamonic could theoretically come back anytime, so we can’t spend his cap hit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Provost said:

He cannot… Hamonic could theoretically come back anytime, so we can’t spend his cap hit.

I would imagine towards the TDL, we'd have a pretty good idea if he plans on playing at all this year. 

And in the playoffs, there is no cap. Perhaps Hamonic comes back then?

• Vintage 1