The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alex Belzile, Leo Komarov

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Waivers] Alex Belzile, Leo Komarov

I don't understand why the Canucks don't just terminate Hamonic's contract. Regardless of what his stance is, he's leaving the team in limbo. If he is ready, he can talk to a team when that happens. As of right now, we could use his cap space.

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I'm sure management knows what's happening behind the scenes. If it was something worth terminating the contract, then it would've been done already. Management appears to be supportive in whatever he is going through. Until we find out more (if ever), there's no reason as fans to not be supportive of the situation as well (and no need to blow out of proportion unsubstantiated rumours). There isn't exactly much we can do with his cap space at this point anyway.

Totally agree.

Except for that last part. If we knew he wasn't coming back, if we could get the full 3 million off the books that's another serviceable player right there to add to the depth. I still wouldn't mind seeing Benning make a move for a stay at home right d, and any extra cap could help facilitate that.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I'm sure management knows what's happening behind the scenes. If it was something worth terminating the contract, then it would've been done already. Management appears to be supportive in whatever he is going through. Until we find out more (if ever), there's no reason as fans to not be supportive of the situation as well (and no need to blow out of proportion unsubstantiated rumours). There isn't exactly much we can do with his cap space at this point anyway.

The way management makes it sound is as if he will be back at some point. 

I just hope all is well with his family given his circumstances. I would hate if that’s the case. 

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I don't understand why the Canucks don't just terminate Hamonic's contract. Regardless of what his stance is, he's leaving the team in limbo. If he is ready, he can talk to a team when that happens. As of right now, we could use his cap space.

Based on Green's interview, he was adamant that Hamonic was not suspended. He was also clear in saying they want him back and hope he's back and hopes Hamonic gets through what he's going through. 

Sounds like we will see Hamonic back at one point this year

That reminds me when Canucks got salo back right in time for playoffs and a cup run

25 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Kommie is a UFA-to-be. 3M is too high, but I would prefer him to Chiasson replacing Motte on the 4th. Kind of think LouLam would rather bury him until the playoff rather than retain any salary tho. He's the type of bottom sixer you need in some playoff contexts.

HECK NO, alex been great for us thus far, komarov is garbage and overpaid

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Totally agree.

Except for that last part. If we knew he wasn't coming back, if we could get the full 3 million off the books that's another serviceable player right there to add to the depth. I still wouldn't mind seeing Benning make a move for a stay at home right d, and any extra cap could help facilitate that.

Only thing we can do with the cap space is to make a trade, which means spending more assets and assuming teams have what we want at whatever the market value is. 

But based on how it's playing out, it sounds like we are hopeful of his return at some point, so we are keeping the cap space open for that. If Keeper is able to return at some point this season, between him, Schenn, Burroughs (pleasant surprise), Bowey and Juulsen (maybe even Woo), we have plenty of "stay at home" type dmen depth. Hamonic would be the best of this bunch of course, but not sure who's available out there that would be just as impactful that won't cost an arm and a leg at this point of the season.

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Only thing we can do with the cap space is to make a trade, which means spending more assets and assuming teams have what we want at whatever the market value is. 

But based on how it's playing out, it sounds like we are hopeful of his return at some point, so we are keeping the cap space open for that. If Keeper is able to return at some point this season, between him, Schenn, Burroughs (pleasant surprise), Bowey and Juulsen (maybe even Woo), we have plenty of "stay at home" type dmen depth. Hamonic would be the best of this bunch of course, but not sure who's available out there that would be just as impactful that won't cost an arm and a leg at this point of the season.

While I agree with all of this, I'm thinking from the perspective of Benning - who is all-in this season. He made that clear when he offloaded contracts that were only a year away from expiring. This is the year he wants to start succeeding, and I feel that extra cap could be spent elsewhere.

Yes, maybe that IS through a trade, and yes, maybe it means giving up another prospect to improve the team now. But given what we've seen, he's not shy about doing so. And let's face it... his tenure as our continued GM rests entirely on this team he has assembled from the ground up succeeding. I don't think its a stretch to see another "bold move".

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

While I agree with all of this, I'm thinking from the perspective of Benning - who is all-in this season. He made that clear when he offloaded contracts that were only a year away from expiring. This is the year he wants to start succeeding, and I feel that extra cap could be spent elsewhere.

Yes, maybe that IS through a trade, and yes, maybe it means giving up another prospect to improve the team now. But given what we've seen, he's not shy about doing so. And let's face it... his tenure as our continued GM rests entirely on this team he has assembled from the ground up succeeding. I don't think its a stretch to see another "bold move".

Maybe, but not if they feel like Hamonic will indeed return, which is what all signs seem to be pointing to at this point. We will surely make an addition(s) at/near the TDL should we be in a playoff position at that point. Might as well save your assets to fill the gaps you know you need heading into the playoffs.

At this point, I don't see a need to make such a move, nor do I think there are many options at this point anyway even through trade. Moving Juolevi for Juulsen as RD insurance (along with Lammikko) was the trade IMO. Between the current RD depth we have, we just hope they can hold the line until Hamonic's hopeful return or closer to the TDL when players start to shake loose.

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If anything, LD is the hole; we have absolutely nothing serviceable if any of our top 3 go down.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Maybe, but not if they feel like Hamonic will indeed return, which is what all signs seem to be pointing to at this point.

At this point, I don't see a need to make such a move

I agree with this as well. This was only under the assumption Hamonic wasn't returning, and ended up off the books. If he can/does, that's ideal for everyone.