The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Evander Kane suspended 21 games

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, PlanB said:

It's a significant penalty for Kane regardless of who wants him there or who doesn't - he's sacrificing close to $2,000 000.00 in salary and this is coming from a guy who has recently declared bankruptcy.  

If the NHL took gambling as seriously as they took COVID this could've turned out a lot worse for him and he and his agent must know that.  

I actually think that is a large reason why he and his agent won't appeal the suspension - they know he could be in a LOT more trouble if the NHL actually did a legit investigation and/or if the proper state/federal authorities did an actual investigation into his gambling history.  He's taking his punishment with his tail between his legs and he's gonna lie low for a while - that is if he knows what's good for him that is. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If I were the Sharks I'd be doing everything I could to see if the contract could be terminated, his teammates don't even want him there. 

Probably in Kane's best interest too so he can go to the KHL.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of chances.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Probably in Kane's best interest too so he can go to the KHL.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of chances.

It's a shame, because he's clearly an offensively gifted with the talent plenty of teams would appreciate. He's simply a bigger headache than he's worth at this point, I just don't see teams being interested in him. 

Didn't they try to trade him earlier on? 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Can't see Kane agreeing to walk away from the almost $26,000,000.00 guaranteed money left on his contract as being in his own best interests.  Management and his teammates might think so (maybe even some fans and the NHL public relations office), but I doubt Kane and his agent see it that way.    The guy's bankrupt, this may be his last opportunity to make any meaningful earnings for the rest of his life. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If I were the Sharks I'd be doing everything I could to see if the contract could be terminated, his teammates don't even want him there. 

It’s true, I’ve read that more than once.

Between this cancer and EK’s delusions of still being a top world player, the Sharks continue to be terrible. 

Awesome Fun GIF by Tactical Baby Gear

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Can't see Kane agreeing to walk away from the almost $26,000,000.00 guaranteed money left on his contract as being in his own best interests.  Management and his teammates might think so (maybe even some fans and the NHL public relations office), but I doubt Kane and his agent see it that way.    The guy's bankrupt, this may be his last opportunity to make any meaningful earnings for the rest of his life. 

Sharks will likely suspend him without pay until they can trade him.  I don't see any team rolling the dice, even at 50% retained.  He's safe from his creditors in Russia.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Sharks will likely suspend him without pay until they can trade him.  I don't see any team rolling the dice, even at 50% retained.  He's safe from his creditors in Russia.

Safe until they sell the debt to Russian mafia, haha

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, khay said:

lol You so smart. I was thinking, why 21 games? That's such an odd number Makes total sense.

It's "25%" of the season, rounded.

41 would be 'half' the season (82 games), so he loses a quarter of the year.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

It’s true, I’ve read that more than once.

Between this cancer and EK’s delusions of still being a top world player, the Sharks continue to be terrible. 

Awesome Fun GIF by Tactical Baby Gear

Sharks need to rebuild in the worst way, to legitimately rebuild. I've been following hockey since the mid 2000's and I can't recall them ever truly doing so, they've been remarkably competitive. 

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sharks need to rebuild in the worst way, to legitimately rebuild. I've been following hockey since the mid 2000's and I can't recall them ever truly doing so, they've been remarkably competitive. 

thats going to be very hard to do. 6 season of Logan Couture at 8 mil until he's 38. Burns 4 seasons at 8 mil. EK 11.5 for 6 seasons. None of that is movable while keeping picks.

Hertl is a UFA next season, maybe they can move him for a 1st this trade deadline.

Just now, JM_ said:

thats going to be very hard to do. 6 season of Logan Couture at 8 mil until he's 38. Burns 4 seasons at 8 mil. EK 11.5 for 6 seasons. None of that is movable while keeping picks.

Hertl is a UFA next season, maybe they can move him for a 1st this trade deadline.

That's pretty much it. They need to rebuild but can't because of how their cap is structured. They're doomed to sink into mediocrity unless they start making big hits with their picks. 

They went all in and missed. Having Vlasic, Burns, and Karlsson being paid what the are will sink them, even if they're capable players as they age. 

24 minutes ago, brownky said:

It's "25%" of the season, rounded.

41 would be 'half' the season (82 games), so he loses a quarter of the year.

Your explanation makes more sense.

But man, what a way to give it to a guy who has gambling issues if 21 was chosen intentionally.